It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:17 pm • # 1 

Here is a link that came up recently which some of you may enjoy.

https://archive.org/details/cdl?and%5B% ... rt=&page=2

You can download a book and do your own review. For example, we may often think of saltwater flyfishing as a post-WWII phenomenon. But one book caught my eye, called "Fly-fishing in Fresh and Salt Water". It was written by Hutchinson, Horace G. (Horace Gordon). It was published in 1851, and it was a good read! There are 83 options to choose from.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:00 am • # 2 

Very cool. Great post!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:21 am • # 3 

Cool! One of the problems I have with Kindle is that some of those scans are completely unreadable! I flipped through a couple books, and the scans look excellent! Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:33 pm • # 4 

Sorry that the first link didn't come out so well. It may be necessary to type the words "fly fishing" into the search engine at the left of the California Digital Library page that it opens. Or alternatively, this link may work better.

https://archive.org/details/cdl?and%5B&and[]=fly%20fishing

Let's try again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:04 pm • # 5 

Project Gutenburg also has some old fly fishing books:

https://www.gutenberg.org/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:54 pm • # 6 

Thanx, gents!

This has proven to be a very cool and useful thread for me. Got both to work, but can’t seem to download to iPhone SE on the CDL site although I can use their reader effectively. Might try it on laptop and see if it works differently.

Project Gutenberg offers epub format and works great for iPhone which surprised me. Downloads into Safari cache, once opened it auto loads and stores itself in iBooks app as below with titles…
Typical easy use functions of epub format with page peel or tap-to-turn which is nice for phones and small screens. Works well either tall or long view…
I have crappy cell reception at work during lunch so these are a welcome respite from trying to surf the web for stocks and news. Van Dyke’s “Fisherman’s Luck and Some Other Uncertain Things” has thus far been quite enjoyable and has some thought provoking reflections in the prose.

Still can’t believe they actually got these into a quickie download form which actually works well. Some e-Reader stuff of the past was a frustrating endeavor to use. I even went back to real paper for the last two Gierach books purchased, this is a pleasant surprise.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply