It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:30 am • # 1 

Thanks to a recommendation from freestoner almost a year ago, I've slowly been working my way through this wonderful book.

It's not a work to rush through, more a mood-piece and thinking fly-fisher's guide... beautifully written, sometimes painfully, poignantly so. If that's the impact on a reader who's mid-atlantic at best, and hasn't yet fished the eastern US, I can only imagine the effect on a local!

Highly recommended if you've not picked it up already... and don't miss Camuto's lovely little vignette, Caught by the Way, in Nick Lyons' In Praise of Wild Trout anthology either ;)

Theo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:43 am • # 2 

You are right on about Camuto's little treasure. Years ago I heard about this gem and had to hunt it down in used book stores. Found one and absolutely loved it. Read it twice and will probably read it several more times. If anyone loves small stream trout fishing and beautiful descriptions of brook trout, mountain streams, and the wonderful people of the Appalachians...this is THE book. I think everyone on ULFF will love this treasure!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:31 pm • # 3 

The books sounds great since I live in the blueridge. I would like to read it. Can anyone point me to a books store that might have it.
thanks Dennis :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:14 pm • # 4 

Flyrod...Most small indie book stores would do a hunt for a used copy. Amazon is a possibilty but I haven't checked with them for availability. It's a wonderful read and especially considering where you are living.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:59 am • # 5 

Now December has arrived, I'm putting together a mental list (and / or actual pile!) of books to read and savour during the colder months.

This is certainly on my re-read list... alongside Nick Lyons' Spring Creek which I've recently picked up on advice from a friend, and Aldo Leopold's Sand County Almanac. Absent actual fishing, these will help me get through some long winter nights!

Theo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:48 pm • # 6 
Administrator

I'll have to pick this one up. Anything to do with southern Appalachian fly fishing and I'm game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:07 pm • # 7 
Administrator

I just bought a used paperback copy for .99 cents + shipping through Alibris.com.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:09 am • # 8 

I am going to have to check this out!

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply