It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: How to cast a 1wt?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:23 am • # 1 

Just purchased the sage txl-f 1wt.Have it coupled with the rio trout lt dt1f line.
Went to the park to cast it and i really battled.Im used to 5wt's & 4wt's.
The rod felt very slow to me,but i know its a med-fast stick.
With only a few feet of line out the tip it feels like plenty of "tip bounce" .
I reckon its just an over application of power on my side.
How should i go forward in mastering this ultralite stick?

Post subject: Re: How to cast a 1wt?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:18 pm • # 2 

Hi,

I have the TFX-L in a 000wt. It's a great rod and you'll definitely enjoy fishing it. From my own observations there is definitely a learning curve, and especially coming from 5wt. I've that at least a rods length of line on the water helps by providing some surface tension to load the rod. I too began by overpowering the rod but slowed it down to match the stroke of my Superfine Touch. Also watch the size of the flies you're throwing. I'm sure it can launch some 14, 12's, etc. but I found the 16's and smaller really opened my eyes to the delicate presentation that this particular rod, as well as the ultralight lines, offer. When I target bluegills for practice/fun I'm always amazed at how gently it lays line down and the small fly just lands like a feather. Don't get me wrong, I've actually thrown a dropper rig consisting of a size 12 foam beetle with a size 14 weighted nymph. It'll do it, but? Lol!!! I remember a post on here (can't recall offhand) that discussed matching the fly size to the line/rod weight and it was quite helpful. As I became more aware of this I really began to appreciate the 3wt and under lines/rods. Stick around as I'm sure you'll get more as well as better advise. It's a great forum and I've learned quite a lot. I'm sure you will too.

All the best,

Rikster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:44 pm • # 3 

I have the Sage TXL-F rods in 0, 1 & 2 wt.
Suggest you slow down the casting stroke and come to a quick stop at the end of forward and back cast.
These rods have fairly fast recovery and if you are getting tip bounce,,,,, back off the gas.

Distance is easy to accomplish with a slow gentle straight line stroke to a quick stop.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:38 pm • # 4 

For what it's worth, here are a few thoughts on the topic.

I have personally had experience with using rigs that vary from 8- or 9-weight down to something like 35 grains.

It seems to me that when using the lighter weights it becomes increasingly important to focus on some basics: being careful to keep the back cast high, with a distinct stop at the end of the stroke; concentrating on feeling that little tug on the line hand, indicating it is the exact moment to start the forward cast; using crisp wrist action more than a movement of the entire forearm to make the forward cast.

Hope that helps a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:06 pm • # 5 

If you have, or know someone who has, a 2wt or 3wt line, see if you can borrow it for a casting session. After a little time with the heavier line, then try your 1wt line again. The advice Rikster gave you about casting on water is good. These lines need water tension to feel loaded, much more so than your 5wt. Also, look at your leader. Typical knotless tapered leaders have butt diameters of .024, which is almost the same as a UL line tip—way too thick, stiff, and heavy for such tiny lines. There used to be knotless leaders on the market with .017 butts. I haven't seen any for several years, though. Some furled leaders are properly proportioned for UL lines, but the best presentation will probably be on a leader you tie yourself. AJ McClane offered good leader formulas for 3wt silk lines (similar in tip diameter to modern plastic UL lines) in his books, but there should be some good leader formulas online as well.

If you use mono leaders rather than furled ones, the epoxy splice gives much better casting, handling (in and out the tip top), and durability than a nail or needle knot. 1wt line tips just don't give much margin for error or wear. An inch or so of .017 or .015 leader butt inserted into the core takes a lot of stress off that tiny line tip.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:20 pm • # 6 

There's only one thing that crossed my mind . . . practice practice practice.
Turn sideways and watch both the back cast and forward. You'll be fine, it's just that you need to get used to a more delicate touch. I greatly prefer a wf line just because I found it easier to cast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:03 am • # 7 

I'll second what everyone said above. My gateway drug, er, first ULFF rod was a TXL-F 0wt. After using a 9' 6wt for 20 years, it made me go back and re-learn a lot of the basics, and shake off a lot of lazyness in my form and technique. I have to say I am a better all-round fly caster and fisher for having picked up ULFF, so stick with it.

The thing that I would add to the above comments is mind your SLACK. It's one of those things that you can get away with to a certain extent with heavier lines, but the lighter you go, the more it'll kill ya. Wind is tough – a good 10-15mph wind would have me in slack fits when I started. The fast TXL-F is capable of high line speeds to combat this, but that will come with time. I still get tailing loops all the time whenever I try to horse it for distance, or when trying to cut my backcast short (which opens up my loop) in an effort to avoid aft obstructions.

The Rio Trout LT has a very long slender taper, so you won't "feel" it as well as you would a front loaded WF taper (but those are hard to come by in a 1wt line). If you have access to a 2 or 3wt, as Cross Creek mentioned above, try casting/fishing with one of those. The TXL-F has plenty of backbone, and can be overlined - I've cast a WF 3wt with my 0wt, and it handled it surprisingly well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:19 am • # 8 

Great suggestion on 3wt line on your 0wt TXL-F,,,,, most modern rods will easily cast +2 line weights over the rod label. Especially useful for shorter casts with heavy or wind resistant flies.

Max distance is all about line speed and technique, I commonly underline my UL rods to gain extra line speed.

My bag has reels with several line weights set up and ready to use depending upon conditions and fly selection.

Remember there is no correct right or wrong line wt vs. rod label,,, what ever is comfortable for your individual casting style.

I like the RIO Trout LT however, also use the older WF lines with weight concentrated to the front,,, totally different feel and presentation.
Borrow different lines and test cast your rods, one 2wt may feel great while another manuf. label may be terrible.

Change leader lengths and butt section diameters,,, very interesting changes in casting dynamics.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:08 pm • # 9 

I recently received a "half weight" as a present. First outing was a disaster, but with some practice it's coming around. It's just like a golf swing, "slow and smooth".

Went out this morning, Western Maryland. 25 degrees throwing the half weight with a parachute Adams with a midge dropper (because the local guy said to). After 1 hour, fighting the ice in the guides, no hits, freezing my you know what off, I finally came to my senses. Went to the local breakfast shop!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:16 pm • # 10 

I just bought my first UL on Monday, en echo carbon xl 2 wt. took it out yesterday and tried it on a small trout stream not far from my house. I was ready to take it back by the end of the day. But after reading this post, I will go out and work on a softer cast. I did notice how soft the fly lands, but I think I was trying to over power the rod to get it to cast as far as I thought it should. This forum is great and any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:54 pm • # 11 

Trying for distance is a beginner's mistake. Just try to get some line out smoothly, then a bit farther, a bit more , then a bit more. It will come naturally. I can get distance with my 1 wt but it is not necessary to cast more than 30 ft with it. Relax and have some fun with it. If you get frustrated put the rod down and come back to it late.r

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:23 pm • # 12 

Rockthief wrote:
Trying for distance is a beginner's mistake. Just try to get some line out smoothly, then a bit farther, a bit more , then a bit more. It will come naturally. I can get distance with my 1 wt but it is not necessary to cast more than 30 ft with it. Relax and have some fun with it. If you get frustrated put the rod down and come back to it late.r

This is very good advice. I would also add to slow your stroke down and don't try and overpower the rod. Let the rod do the work.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:02 am • # 13 

After four years, I still over line my rods.

I own a TFO Finesse and that rod collapses every time I try to power the cast. I have thrown a hopper and bead head dropper with it, but the only way I could get that to work was to cast as soft as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:26 pm • # 14 

I have a 7.5' 1wt that I fished for the first time this week. It was the most frustrating day I have had in a long time. I have read this thread, but haven't seen a reference to my problem. The rod is so light and whippy that my leader and tippet would get tangled around the rod tip with the slightest twitch of my wrist. This a was not while casting, but when trying to secure evrything to move on to the next location. I usually use the keeper but also tried looping the tippet around the spool and back up to the guide. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix the problem? I appologize if I'm not explaining it clearly.

Thanks,
steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:04 pm • # 15 

spm wrote:
I usually use the keeper but also tried looping the tippet around the spool and back up to the guide. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix the problem? I appologize if I'm not explaining it clearly.

Thanks,
steve

I have. Leave enough line outside the tiptop to loop around the reel and back up to a guide or two then lay the rod against a tree or just lay it down if you have the space. Then loop the line around the reel and hook it to a guide. After awhile it went away as I became more accustomed to the outfit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:29 pm • # 16 

Usually I'll hook the fly on a guide and then pull some line off until I can loop it under the reel foot. That way I don't have a lot of line loose to manage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:09 pm • # 17 

Been doing it that way for most of my life—Hook the fly in the crotch of a snake guide, then pull some line. I learned that hook keepers are essentially useless on fly rods before I made it past grade school.

Especially with UL rods, remember just how thin the tip is—Pull extra line up from the reel, rather than down from the tip! Loop the line around the back side of the reel, not the spool side, if you want to avoid getting it caught in the rim.

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply