It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:52 pm • # 1 

Hey all,

When dry fly fishing, does it matter if you bring your tippet through the top of the hook eye or through the bottom? I am pretty sure I have done it both ways, but was not sure if there are benefits to one way or the other.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:01 pm • # 2 

It may well matter, and depend on what style hook one's dry fly is tied on. I would usually go through the top, since most dry flies are tied on hooks with turned-down eyes, or occasionally ring (straight) eyes. I only put the tippet through the bottom when using flies tied on turned-up eyes. This is probably one of those things that fly-fishermen do without ever stopping to think about it very much.

The thing to think about is which way will set the hook at a correct angle in relation to the tippet for a natural float and good hook-setting. Let's see what other people think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:08 pm • # 3 

I like the dry fly clinch on down eye dry flies, so the line goes in through the top. On a straight eye hook I don't think it matters.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:22 am • # 4 

Never mattered for me that I could tell.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:21 pm • # 5 

I've never paid any attention to the way I tie one on and I usually catch fish, so I'm going to say it doesn't matter enough to add another step to my set-up procedure. :lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:02 pm • # 6 

Here's my rule: If the fly has some material partly blocking the lower side of the eye, I feed through the top, down. If there's some material partly blocking the upper side of the eye, I feed through from the bottom, up. If I've actually tied a tidy fly without that head mess, like Wabi and Clay, I have no idea and I've never thought about it. I almost always use the Clinch knot (unimproved) and I'm not sure, given that knot configuration, how it might matter.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:34 am • # 7 

http://midcurrent.com/knots/does-how-yo ... ye-matter/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:29 am • # 8 

Weightforward:
Great find! Since I never use the Turle knot, I think I'll instead focus on how many angels can dance on the shank of a #30 Mustad 94840.
Fly fishing is probably one of the pursuits most drenched in tradition, folklore, dogma and 'rules'. That's partly why I love it, but since some of the traditions have their roots in a time when anglers and scientists alike believed that pike arose spontaneously from pond grasses, I don't think it hurts to revisit these things from time to time.
MarlTroutBum: Excellent question for a snowy wintery day! Thanks!
brent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:30 pm • # 9 

Since I now use a Davy knot about 75% of the time, I bring the line in from the top, as specified by the "Davy" experts. Otherwise I use a loop knot in which case it doesn't matter.

Harry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:45 pm • # 10 

I don't think it matters, but to be consistent I go up from the bottom. I do this, because it's too hard to come from the top on some flies. Like an Elk Hair Caddis.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:34 pm • # 11 

Would only matter if threading through the eye and then looping the line around the shank of the hook as in a salt water rig. It does matter for those rigs...but i cant remember which way its supposed to be :lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:51 am • # 12 

Consider using Lefty's Loop (or similar) to attach your fly to tippet. This is one of those knots that doesn't tighten onto the hook. Instead, your fly now dangles on a tiny loop. The increased freedom is supposed to lend to a more natural movement for most fly types. So, in this case, it doesn't matter if you go through the top or the bottom because it's the same difference. A.k.a. Kreh Knot, Non-Slip Mono Loop, Lefty's Loop Knot. :rollin

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply