It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: tight line nymphing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:10 am • # 1 

Taking my annual trip to the smokies next week and I'll be focusing on tight line nymphing. While I want to fish and learn as much as I can about this method I've tied my leaders hopefully allowing me to switch to dries or dry dropper, wet flies as the situation dictates.
-6 ft 30lb mono
-2 ft 20lb hi vis red mono
-8"10lb mono (you could avoid this with thinner hi vis...I just had none available)
-tippet ring
-From the tippet ring I'll tie some 4x tippet maybe a foot, then tie some 5x to it with a long tag. The tag will hold the dropper and the anchor fly to the end of the 5x. The length of the 5x will be determined by water depth and flow rate.
The idea is I can work from the tippet ring out if I need to switch styles.

Also getting its first real workout this trip will be my Syndicate 10' 3wt. I plan on fishing it exclusively in both bigger and skinny water. This will be my first time trying a longer rod on smaller water. I've read opinions both for and against using a 10 footer on skinnier water but until I try myself I'll never know how I feel.

The Syndicate will also hopefully get tested on trophy size fish (Raven Fork) and your GSMNP wild 4"-10" inhabitants. I can't wait to see how it performs on both fronts

My fly boxes are full, gear is packed, just need the days to pass and I'll be off!

Post subject: Re: tight line nymphing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:08 am • # 2 

Good luck, awaiting picture report.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:54 pm • # 3 

I'm also interested in hearing about the trip, and how you like the Syndicate rod.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:41 pm • # 4 

Well it's been a second trip but here's an update.
Euro style Nymphing has dramatically changed how I fish, here's re the biggest changes...
1) catch rates tripled
2)I cover much less water
3)I consistently catch in most water types
4) I can put kids on fish consistently using these methods
5)Syndicate rod is PHENOMENAL
6) larger fish consistently caught

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:43 pm • # 5 

Awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:17 am • # 6 

Cool!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:48 pm • # 7 

Johnnymcq wrote:
Well it's been a second trip but here's an update.
Euro style Nymphing has dramatically changed how I fish, here's re the biggest changes...
1) catch rates tripled
2)I cover much less water
3)I consistently catch in most water types
4) I can put kids on fish consistently using these methods
5)Syndicate rod is PHENOMENAL
6) larger fish consistently caught

That's a great positive report. Tight line, Czech/Polish style fishing is the only way I use nymphs. It has been proven, and you found this out on your own, that it does produce more fish and bigger fish consistently. Between tight line and the western style as we know it where you use a strike indicator and letting it float down stream, tight line will catch more fish. And you're right, it's kid friendly! The hardest part I can think of is knowing if your flies are down deep enough, but if your ticking the bottom and hanging up once in awhile, you're deep enough.

Here's a man who has some great videos, and he does cover tight line well if you want to learn more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNJpSQFB0KM

On this video he explains the difference between Euro and Western style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SGoSR3UmyA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:59 pm • # 8 

Thanks.
Really this is the first time I've had a picture of the bottom by feel. You can feel everything. Strikes amazing. You are connected to your flies. I can't say enough great things about this method.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:09 pm • # 9 

I've only done limited euro nymphing but have to agree that catch rate goes up.

FWIW I think your leader setup is too short. On YouTube look up Gilbert Rowley. He has a short video with two leader formulas. I use both, but add the length of my rod to the suggested butt section. That way there's no heavy fly line off the reel. The formulas, as shown, are for people who use thin euro nymphing fly lines, which seem like a waste of money to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 am • # 10 

Do you use heavily weighted nymphs for euro nymphing?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:47 pm • # 11 

softhackle wrote:
Do you use heavily weighted nymphs for euro nymphing?

Don't know if you're asking Johnny or me. Mine aren't overly heavy. I mostly use the French method which uses longer lines than Czech.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:46 am • # 12 

Okay so I use a25 foot leader.

I use a very heavy tungsten bead head nymph as the anchor and a lighter nymph off the tag unless in very shallow water. I'm trying to get to depth as quick as possible and adjust my rod tip to keep nymph just on the bottom.

My fly line almost never off the real.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:59 pm • # 13 

Yeah, keeping the fly line on the reel is important. Otherwise it tends to sag and draw the leader back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:19 am • # 14 

Rather than use a heavy nymph to get the rig down, I use Kelly Galloup's drop shot method. Essentially you use split shot at the bottom to get your flies down. Easy to vary the weight and easy to replace if you lose it.

Harry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:43 pm • # 15 

Free2Fish wrote:
Rather than use a heavy nymph to get the rig down, I use Kelly Galloup's drop shot method. Essentially you use split shot at the bottom to get your flies down. Easy to vary the weight and easy to replace if you lose it.

Harry

Just watched his YouTube on that the other day but haven't tried it yet. Makes total sense. Euro nymphing is limited by the competition rules. Galloup's drop shot method is more logical if you're not facing those restrictions. The point fly rides 6-8" above the bottom, right inline with the trout's view.

https://youtu.be/8P0lKoE1QIU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:51 pm • # 16 

Makes good sense but I wonder if you lose sensitivity to the flies. Can you still feel every tick? I just tie with a tungsten bead head and use my arm or less leader to elevate the fly where I want it. Might be less to hang up on snags also. That said I've not tried dropshotting in moving water, just for Largemouth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:43 pm • # 17 

He's got a couple YouTubes on the subject. I have a link to one above. Worth watching.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:19 am • # 18 

Johnnymcq wrote:
Makes good sense but I wonder if you lose sensitivity to the flies. Can you still feel every tick?

I don't feel you lose any sensitivity at all. If you carry a few sizes of split shot you can tune the weight to any flow conditions. Also less likely to hang up and less costly to replace if you do.

Harry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:22 pm • # 19 

Free2Fish wrote:
Johnnymcq wrote:
Makes good sense but I wonder if you lose sensitivity to the flies. Can you still feel every tick?

I don't feel you lose any sensitivity at all. If you carry a few sizes of split shot you can tune the weight to any flow conditions. Also less likely to hang up and less costly to replace if you do.

Harry

That’s a good evaluation of the “drop shot” method, which I have used, though never having used that term. But there are some things to keep in mind.

To begin with, that method is an offshoot of the basic Midwest steelheading rig that has been in use in Michigan since the 1960s. For that rig, which became popular with the noodle-rodders in the late 70s, typically a three-way swivel is tied to the main monofilament line. From that, there is a short dropper to clamp the split shot onto, and a longer (like maybe 2 feet) leader tied to the remaining ring of the swivel, which goes to a fly on the point.
Probably Kelly Galloup came up with that “drop shot” rig because he ran a fly shop with a partner in Traverse City in the 80s, and he used to fish those rivers. And it is certainly an effective method.

I used to use both of the aforementioned rigs, but with rods that were between 5 and 7 ½ feet long. Another trick, which snags up less, is to use a slinky for your weight.

http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/fly ... ck/slinky/

However, before you decide to use the “drop shot” arrangement, it’s a good idea to check your local fishing regulations. In some states, if you have the weight suspended below the hook(s), it may well be considered a device to foul-hook fish intentionally.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 pm • # 20 

That's kind of comical Pete, I was thinking same exact while reading down through the thread, Lakes Region Steelbows. One other similarity is fishing straight mono.. fly line stays on reel.

I'll admit to the tact/s finally piquing my interest though. The Yvon Chouinard article "Lessons from a simple fly" (and videos) made an impression on me. His personal rig is a 10' 2wt with a 1wt line on it.. Why couldn't a guy just run a similar diameter / conducive material running line?

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply