It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 1wt problems
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:17 pm • # 1 

I originally tagged this onto another member's post. I apologize if that was considered hi-jacking his thread. I am re-posting here as a new thread.
s.

I have a 7.5' 1wt that I fished for the first time this week. It was the most frustrating day I have had in a long time. The rod is so light and whippy that my leader and tippet would get tangled around the rod tip with the slightest twitch of my wrist. This a was not always while casting, but also when trying to secure everything to move on to the next location. I usually use the keeper but also tried looping the tippet around the spool and back up to the guide. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix the problem? I apologize if I'm not explaining it clearly.

Thanks,
steve

Post subject: Re: 1wt problems
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:29 pm • # 2 

Hi Steve;

The only 1 wt I've fished was an Orvis Superfine that was shorter than your rod is. Don't recall it being any more unwieldy and can only suggest you keep more line out and perhaps a shorter tippet. Perhaps secure the hook first the wrap & reel up the slack. Becoming more familiar should lead to solutions as each rod seems to have a mind of its own.

Regards.

Clay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:54 pm • # 3 

I'd suggest putting a little tension on the leader/tippet. Just enough to make the tip bend a slight bit with the tension.

Another way is to wind it all the way in so that the fly catches on the tiptop. That's better if you're moving a long distance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:38 pm • # 4 

Have never had that problem with any of my rods (1-8wts). I have always just hooked the fly to one of the guides and once around the spool with a slight bend in the tip.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:28 pm • # 5 

I have pricked myself quite severely a couple of times by placing the hook in the keeper. I now place the hook point into the slot next to the reel seat or as said above when moving a fair distance and you don't want your line to tangle with another rod or rods you might be carrying.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:07 am • # 6 

Thank you all for your responses. I think the comment about shortening my leader/tippet may help. I will give this rod another try in a couple weeks.

Thanks, again.
steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:29 pm • # 7 

Have you looked at the drag settings on your reel? I've had issues similar to what you are describing and I found that by tightening the drag the line stayed in place.
You may also want to look at your casting stroke. I own a 7'6" Orvis Superfine 1 wt and i learned that in order for the rod to cast properly I needed to slow my casting stroke down. Hopefully this advice helps and good luck with the rod.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:17 pm • # 8 

Pretend you are on a first date and keep things simple. Forget your five weight or your seven weight. "Listen" to what the rod tells you and then go dance with it.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:23 pm • # 9 

softhackle wrote:
Have you looked at the drag settings on your reel? I've had issues similar to what you are describing and I found that by tightening the drag the line stayed in place.
You may also want to look at your casting stroke. I own a 7'6" Orvis Superfine 1 wt and i learned that in order for the rod to cast properly I needed to slow my casting stroke down. Hopefully this advice helps and good luck with the rod.

My reel doesn't have much of a drag. I am trying to slow down.

Thanks,
steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:25 pm • # 10 

Rockthief wrote:
Pretend you are on a first date and keep things simple. Forget your five weight or your seven weight. "Listen" to what the rod tells you and then go dance with it.

Paul

I like your analogy. I'll be trying it again in a couple weeks.
Thanks,
steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:37 pm • # 11 

Hi guys. I'm back. I'm on the Current river in MO, as I write this. I used everyone's adviced and have to say that I had a better outing today with my 1wt. I shortened my leader/tippet, hooked the fly with some tension while moving, slowed down my cast, and finally tried up-lining with my buddies 3wt reel and line. Everything helped, so I want to thank everyone who responded with suggestions. I think I am going to up-line it one weight.

Thanks, again for your help.
steve

p.s. It is in the mid 90s today so we wet-waded and I forgot that my cell phone was in my pocket. Yup, held that sucker under the water for about 15 minutes. Opened it up and let I t dry out, and it still works. But the camer now takes these very artistic, "Veiled" pics. lol!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:31 pm • # 12 

SPM, You were down in my neck of the woods. West Plains guy here. Headed down to the Spring River Saturday morning if you're in the area. I also fish the 1 wt and a RPD 0 wt with no issues. Granted there is a difference coming from the bigger stuff down to the UL types but my suggestion would be yard work. Feel the rod and it's reaction in various situations and conditions. As a matter of fact, close your eyes and feel the rod load and pace yourself according to what you feel, not what you think needs to happen. A purist I'm not and I cast everything with my small rods. These small rods are not made for distance. Keep that in mind, however they can be pushed into performing in the hands of someone with the feel. No two casts will ever be the same, close but never the same. Style is an individual thing. Develop what works for you. Good luck and come on down sometime and i'll show ya the area.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:19 pm • # 13 

Ditto what Rapid Eddy said. I feel the same way. Good advice :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:41 pm • # 14 

The best thing I've done with my UL rods is to build a shooting head that weighs 80 to 100 grains (for use on my 2 wt). Attach it too some braided dacron running line and go fishing. See my post under lines for detailed instructions.

With this line, I use a dynamic roll cast most of the time and easily get the fly out 25 to 30 feet, more than enough.

Gene

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:47 am • # 15 

Rapid Eddy wrote:
SPM, You were down in my neck of the woods. West Plains guy here. Headed down to the Spring River Saturday morning if you're in the area. I also fish the 1 wt and a RPD 0 wt with no issues. Granted there is a difference coming from the bigger stuff down to the UL types but my suggestion would be yard work. Feel the rod and it's reaction in various situations and conditions. As a matter of fact, close your eyes and feel the rod load and pace yourself according to what you feel, not what you think needs to happen. A purist I'm not and I cast everything with my small rods. These small rods are not made for distance. Keep that in mind, however they can be pushed into performing in the hands of someone with the feel. No two casts will ever be the same, close but never the same. Style is an individual thing. Develop what works for you. Good luck and come on down sometime and i'll show ya the area.

Thanks for the suggestions and the invitation, Rapid Eddy. I especially like your suggestion to cast it with my eyes closed. I will try that. BTW, my son lives in West Plains, too. There are several rivers down there that I would like to fish. I may just take you up on the invitation.

Thanks,
steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:47 am • # 16 

joe the plumber wrote:
Ditto what Rapid Eddy said. I feel the same way. Good advice :)

Thanks, joe.

s.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:50 am • # 17 

glcaddis wrote:
The best thing I've done with my UL rods is to build a shooting head that weighs 80 to 100 grains (for use on my 2 wt). Attach it too some braided dacron running line and go fishing. See my post under lines for detailed instructions.

With this line, I use a dynamic roll cast most of the time and easily get the fly out 25 to 30 feet, more than enough.

Gene

This may be beyond my skill set, Gene. I did buy a 2wt line to try with it. I'm still on the lookout for a smaller reel, as I currently loaded it with a 5/6 reel I had laying around.

Thanks,
s.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:15 pm • # 18 

Mark at RDP has some reels made for ultralights......they work great and at a decent price. He will also load it with flyline and backing.I have one of his for my 0 weight rod.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:43 pm • # 19 

joe the plumber wrote:
Mark at RDP has some reels made for ultralights......they work great and at a decent price. He will also load it with flyline and backing.I have one of his for my 0 weight rod.

Thanks, joe.

s.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:18 pm • # 20 

spm wrote:
glcaddis wrote:

Gene

This may be beyond my skill set, Gene. I did buy a 2wt line to try with it. I'm still on the lookout for a smaller reel, as I currently loaded it with a 5/6 reel I had laying around.

Thanks,
s.

Making one of these shooting heads really doesn't take a lot of skill. You can make a workable head for a 2 wt by shelling out $10 to $15 for a DT9F on eBay or at Anglers' Roost. Cut off 3 feet from the front of the line, measure out 12 feet and cut it off. You'll be with 10 grains of 100 and that is very workable for a 2 wt. Put a braided loop on the butt end and 6" of Amnesia with a loop on the front end and go fishing. You'll need a running line. Anglers' Roost has Gudebrod Orange running line made of braided dacron. About 20 yards looped to the head makes a very fishable setup.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply