It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Hook sets
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:11 pm • # 1 

Fished my Echo Carbon XL 2 wt this morning, dries and streamers with 16 to 14 hooks--Tiemco and Mustads. Hooked up quite a few sunfish and a fair number of 1.5 to 2.5 pound bass. I doubt I brought a third of the bass to hand, they'd throw the hook somewhere in the tussle and often when I thought I had a good hook set. Didn't lose any flies, break any tippet or what have you.

(BTW, the fish were keying on small stuff today--moving up to a 12 or 10 didn't do more than increase the number of refusals.)

So, suggestions anybody? I'm usually using a strip set and there isn't a lot of room in the creek to let the fish take it and run. Several of the fish were on long and hard enough to put a good bend in the rod before the jump and shake. I have often fished this stream with a 3 to 5 weight and not had such a run of lost bass.

Post subject: Re: Hook sets
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:53 pm • # 2 

There are days when I lose most of the bass I hook and days when I lose just a couple using
the same equipment. A healthy bass that jumps is going to get lose on me a good deal of the time.
When they jump I hold the rod low and try to put some pressure to prevent them from shaking their
head as they fall. Maybe my technique is mis-misguided; hopefully someone has this figured out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:54 pm • # 3 

I have found that when using smaller flies for warm water it's hard to get the flies hooked up well. Just the size of the (for lack of a better term) lips keep the smaller flies from hooking up good. Strip set, sharp hooks and you could try barbless are the only thing I can suggest. May be a size 14-16 fly on a size 6-8 hook. Won't work well for dries, but should work for nymphs and streamers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:39 am • # 4 

Are you fishing with barbs or barbless? Often the hook won't penetrate past the barb due to the larger diameter at the barb. That leaves you with a very shallow hook set. I'm frequently amazed when I bring a bass to hand and see that only the tip of the hook is embedded in the fish's mouth even after putting a good bend in the rod. Barbless hooks usually penetrate deeper but can still be thrown by an angry fish. My preference is barbless.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:18 pm • # 5 

I have the same issue, and always figured that I'm using a noodly rod that doesn't have the stiffness to dig the hook in. I crimp my barbs and sharpen the hooks. I rarely have this problem with Trout, because they tend to grab and turn, self-setting the hook for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 pm • # 6 

I'm thinking it is as much the hook size and gap as anything. I carry a hook sharpener with me and use it after every fish or snag. It's remarkable how much a few swipes help with hook sets. And yes, I crimp the barb.

Last outing I used a 6'6" fiberglass 2 weight with size 14 and 16 streamer hooks. The water was Hill Country clear and I could see nearly every take. Managed to bring one bass to hand. The softer action of the fiberglass didn't help with the hook sets but even a small bluegill was a blast and a two pound bass had the rod bent to the grip.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:08 pm • # 7 

Good job on getting the fish to take the fly in the first place. Like everyone said.... barbless hook, supersharp hook,stripstrike firmly,keep pressure on the fish .....and I still loose some good fish but it puts the odds more in your favor. I have landed some really nice LMB on #14 black boudreaux patterns.......luck plays a role ,but the more you hook up the "luckier" your gonna get. If the hook point slides across my thumbnail its time to sharpen it.Not sticking me,wont stick in fish...my .02 cents worth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:08 pm • # 8 

I find sharp hooks, pinch down barb and larger gape are necessary.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:00 pm • # 9 

Just read this so I'll resurrect it. I've found with my 2 and my half weights that a strip set combined with a long, low sideways rod sweep has helped a lot. I still have a few fall off the hook, but far fewer than before I incorporated the rod sweep. I think the soft rod makes it easier for the fish to shake some slack in the line, and the rod sweep makes that harder.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:46 pm • # 10 

Yep, lose plenty myself. I also lower the rod when they jump. Learned that from atlantic salmon fishing (bowing to the jumping fish), and just got in the habit when bass fishing, too. but my experience is much like the others: smaller flies seem to get thrown easier. I also pinch barbs, sharpen hooks, and do a line set followed by a few rod sweeps, but plenty do get off.
I never lose trout like I do bass; in my opinion, a 14" bass will outfight a 14" brookie any day of the week. Rainbow? Not so sure.
brent

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply