It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Loon Degreasers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:42 pm • # 1 

So, planning a trip to RMNP in a few weeks. (Can't wait!) While playing around a little with dry fly leader experimentation, I was focusing on the patterns of light refraction on my dry fly and floating fluoro tippet - the tippet's shadow was really spooking the minnows. :) I applied some Loon Snake River Mud and then added Henry's Sinket, but didn't seem to have much effect - my fluoro still floated like a cork, casting refracted shadows.

Anyone else have any success with these products to sink their tippets when fishing dries in clear waters to spooky fish?

Post subject: Re: Loon Degreasers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:04 pm • # 2 

weightforward wrote:
So, planning a trip to RMNP in a few weeks. (Can't wait!) While playing around a little with dry fly leader experimentation, I was focusing on the patterns of light refraction on my dry fly and floating fluoro tippet - the tippet's shadow was really spooking the minnows. :) I applied some Loon Snake River Mud and then added Henry's Sinket, but didn't seem to have much effect - my fluoro still floated like a cork, casting refracted shadows.

Anyone else have any success with these products to sink their tippets when fishing dries in clear waters to spooky fish?

That doesn't sound like flourocarbon - that line typically sinks, and typically is far more invisible than mono. If you can't find a good solution with your existing tippet, I'd change it up to a different material, or different brand, or both.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:37 pm • # 3 

Ha, you can't get flouro to sink and so often my floating leaders don't float. Go figure.

Also, even though flouro's index of refraction is close to water's, any line floating on the film still seems to cast a shadow, probably due to the surface tension warping the water's plane.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:50 pm • # 4 

Yeah, caught in the film, like an emerger. Kinda distracts from MY emerger. These treatments are supposed to be surfectants and break that surface tension. Not doing its job, making me feel like it's at least part snake oil.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply