It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Flies for Carp/Catfish
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:13 am • # 1 

Hey guys, I'm looking to add some bottomfeeders to my bucket list of species. Living near the charles river of MA, I tend to use general attractors such as wooly buggers, hare's ears, pheasant tails, and cooper johns, but I've never been able to catch a carp or catfish...

That being said, anyone have strategies or flies for these guys? Where should I go on about finding carp? Do they live in areas that differ from that of panfish/bass?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:13 am • # 2 

I have caught a lot of catfish on Clousers while fishing for other species. Carp seem to like something "buggy" looking. I don't do much fresh water fishing, so wait for the more experienced guys to offer up.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:37 pm • # 3 

When sight fishing for carp I use a tiny chartreuse wooley bugger, about a size 14. I twitch it when they are near enough to see it and they invariably take it.

For cats a large, bushy dark wooley bugger seems to be the ticket for me. Another fly that has caught a lot for me is a large, gun metal grey, Las Vegas Leech.

Harry

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 pm • # 4 

A local to LA, CA, fisherman, Glenn Ueda, came up with the Loco Moco. (http://www.themidwest-drift.com/uedas-loco-moco/)

It has gotten some pretty widespread recognition and has taken 1000's of carp, and variations have also taken bonefish, permit, etc., etc.

Andy

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:57 pm • # 5 

Can't comment on carp, as they seem to be the pickiest thing I've seen and I've never managed to catch one , however I fish a few ponds in Northwest Alabama that are stocked with LMB, bluegill, and channel cats, and I found that on most outings I would end up catching the channels on black, brown, or olive wooly buggers. Last year I ended up catching an #8 channel cat on my 4 wt St. Croix Imperial, and I really thought it was going to break my rod, and that was on a size 10 black wooly bugger.

Goodluck!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:22 am • # 6 

That Loco Moco fly is cool looking.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:34 am • # 7 

As previously mentioned, a dark wooly bugger or leech pattern is always my choice for catfish. I've caught carp on wooly buggers also, but carp have been caught on lots of different flies. Choice of carp flies depends on whether they are feeding on bottom (most common) or on the surface (less common). I have had catfish chase aggressively after a streamer, but with carp the fly needs to land very quietly, generally within a couple of feet, and within their cone of vision. Of course these are generalities, as I have also seen carp chasing after a slow moving Clouser.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:06 pm • # 8 

Two web sites come to mind for information about fly fishing for carp. Fly-carpin.com and lariverflyfishing.com would be good places to start. On Youtube there are a few videos on fishing for carp with a tenkara outfit, try "tencarpa" as the search word. Youtube also has a few videos about tying carp flys that look like corn or bits of bread. Have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:18 am • # 9 

1. Tie a bunch of dark flies, approximately 1.5" long, size 8-10
2a. Take a deep breath and embrace your inner bait chucker
2b. Soak flies in container of chicken livers overnight
3. Go catfishing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 pm • # 10 

Everyone always asks: "Which flies for carp?"
But theres way more than that....way more than flies.

http://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com/20 ... op-10.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:03 pm • # 11 

I've caught a fair amount of catfish on wooly buggers too. Carp are tough for me to catch on any fly. Hooked one on a feathered streamer, another on a mylar minnow and another on a "buggie" looking fly with rubber legs and marketed as a carp fly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:51 pm • # 12 

I don't target catfish/carp but I have caught some large ones on a wooly bugger i tie for bluegill/bass...using medium beadchain eyes ...sinks faster..and burnt orange/black dubbing blend and tying on a little extra silli legs at the bend of the hook....in clear water I can see it sitting upright and it actually looks like a small crawfish.....size 10 or 12 scud hook....and after I catch the critter,cut the fly off,clean all the slime off the leader.....cuss about getting finned....and get the yak back to where i was fishing before i went on the sleigh ride....sleigh ride can last a bit longer for a carp. I have had guys follow me around to see what i hooked. You are gonna have some fun :applause

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply