It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 32 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:47 pm • # 21 

Oh ok...

I can see changing out the tippet obviously....no worries....I though you said you were changing the leader

I was just thinking that this braid line leader, you have discovered, if I could glue it into my fly line and have an almost invisble transition there (at least as far as moving through the guides on the rod.......and it lasted forever?...it turned over flies easily?....it's presentation was soft?
....then what's "knot" to like?

put it in.... forget about it... and just change tippet as necessary....I think that sound superb....anyone else use it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:42 pm • # 22 

I'm wondering if all braids float, or just super braid by stren; I have some but its not stren; thanks for the tip(s)-p-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:57 pm • # 23 

something you may want to try is Sufix 832... Sinking Super Braid. Like other superbraid. it is crazy supple, and amazingly strong. it is created with an extra fiber designed to sink. I use this all the time on my UL spinning rods. Never had a problem with knots in the last two years. May be an interesting way to create a sink tip/leader

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:02 pm • # 24 

I didn't know there was a sinking superbraid. I will have to look for that....I hope they make small spools...Thanks..........
............Don S in SC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:25 am • # 25 

Tailingloop wrote:
I didn't know there was a sinking superbraid. I will have to look for that....I hope they make small spools...Thanks..........
............Don S in SC

i have been experimenting with building leaders thanks to this thread....
The sufix 832 is just one of 5 different brands i have been playing with for the past few weeks and its the one i like best so far for sinking leaders... not sure how much it really sinks as it has 8 braids just like all the rest...i will let you all know as im testing it in my pool this week when i have time and the wind is not blowing.. been a windy week here...

Sufix 832 advanced superline i believe comes only in 150 aned 300 yd spools
the 150yd 30 lb is about $20 and they also have a Sufix 832 advanced superline ghost version that is less visible under water, so they say :hat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:47 pm • # 26 

Has anyone tried to use a nail knot to connect the braid to the fly line?
I am using a sage quiet taper with no loop and really do not want to add a mono loop.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:52 pm • # 27 

Does anyone make a furled leader using braid? I think that could be interesting and provide decent turnover.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 pm • # 28 

skcwolfgang wrote:
Has anyone tried to use a nail knot to connect the braid to the fly line?
I am using a sage quiet taper with no loop and really do not want to add a mono loop.
Thanks

If you put a loop into the braided line/leader, you can use this to attach the fly line. https://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots/castwell.php

(Disclaimer: I've used that knot for every other type of leader for years and it has served me well. But I have only recently been experimenting with braided line leaders. So my experience using it in this context is limited. Still it has not let me down.)

---David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:04 am • # 29 

Thanks for the link David. That is a really easy knot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:56 pm • # 30 

super braid prices

just a short note. was in gander mountain yesterday buying stuff. saw they sell all the super braid type lines by the yard
bought 6 yds of the following
berkly fire line
dont now what i will accompish but i didnt have to spend a fortune on ne costs if it doest work out.

will try it next week. cool idea for tippets not sure it will work for big end of taper leaders but postive it will work for lower ends

good luck

b.l. farley (jjw)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:01 pm • # 31 

I've been playing around with these for a bit now, just to see what I do and don't like about them. Here are a couple of observations I've made from my "experiments", so please feel free to chime in with "remedies" and/or comments regarding them.

1) I can't seem to keep the loop to loop connection in the proper orientation (illustrated as "Good" below) with the braided line. It always moves to the "Bad" configuration and doesn't transfer energy as efficiently. It sometimes even appears to "hinge" when this occurs.

2) With a leader (sans tippet) 8 feet and longer, air-resistant flies are difficult to get to turn over. 50 lbs. test improves this over the 30 lbs test line. But it still doesn't seem to transfer the energy like a longer tapered furled thread leader (which is what I typically go to).

3) Leaders (sans tippet) of six feet or less work quite well, and a four foot leader with a couple feet of tippet added seems really quite effective. (Except for the issue stated in #1 above.)

4) In moving water the super braid sinks pretty easily and has a tendency to drag a fly down with it. Which is good for some fishing, and bad for others. Treating/dressing it with Red Tin mucilin helped, but the furled thread leaders will stay floating much longer for me.

5) The braided line doesn't pick up as much water as a singapore twist (mono) or my furled thread leaders, reducing "spray" / "rain" when casting.

In the end I still prefer my furled thread leaders. But that may be because I've spent some considerable energy/time finding "tapers" and lengths I like with my lines. For every one that I've furled and liked, I've probably furled and "tossed" five or six others. (not to mention the ones I broke in the furling process.)

The super braid is certainly quick and easy, and given how small a presence it can be, the shorter "effective" lengths (for my casting anyway) may not be much of an issue when it comes to actual fishing. After all, it is rare for me to use a leader nine feet or longer, and a 6 foot length of super braid and 3 feet of tippet gets me there.

I'm sure I'll continue to play around with them, but for the time, I'm still a furled thread leader "believer".

---David

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:52 am • # 32 

I attach the braid to the fly line by using a needle like you would doing a Whitlock connection, but I then nail knot the braid to the fly line above where the needle exits the line. I attach the tippit to the braid using the Japanese connection, an overhand knot in the end of the braid, a girth hitch with the looped tippit, 4#, 6#, 8#, mono or fluoro, above the overhand knot. I will fish drys, #10 foam spiders, and my #14-#10 bead chain eye rabbit strip leech on this rig. I hooked what I assumed to be about a 10+# carp, I never could get him up to see what he was, with this rig on a ff84 and finally lost it after he lost interest in playing after about 15 minutes with the rod bent almost double, and he set sail across the pond and the hook pulled out. Then leader connections all held up well. I have fished it several times using a couple of different braids, all did o.k. You just need to stay around 30# so you can fit the braid through the needle eye to thread it to the line. Some 30# braid is more like 10# mono diameter, but that will work, too. I have a lot of confidence in using this set-up. I caught a bunch of 10" brim with the little leech and gurglers on 6# fluoro tippit with no issues.

Jim

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 32 posts ] New Topic Add Reply