It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 am • # 21 

A tiny ball of loon strike indicator putty or any other brand applied to the knot where you knot the tippet is also a good one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:08 pm • # 22 

I've been using the thingamabobbers for years and a absolutely love them

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:59 pm • # 23 

I second Simonuca's answer. I haven't personally tried it, but I took my son out a week ago and he started having a hard time seeing strikes due to high winds so I threw some loon Biostrike on his line and it worked awesome! Highly visible with little to no affect on casting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:31 pm • # 24 

I like the New Zealand Strike Indicator. Doesn't kink the leader. Easy to move up and down to adjust depth. Can be trimmed to just the right size for the fly your using, so you don't lose sensitivity with small flies. Casts well and lands gently. Kind of a new and improved yarn indicator.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:27 am • # 25 

I rarely use strike indicators but when I do I use the NZ indicator as it is usually with small midges just under the surface and they certainly do land soft.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:20 am • # 26 

Agree on the NZ strike indicator. Holds well and doesn't kink the leader and No big splat like the thingamabobber.

Darin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:09 pm • # 27 

I make my own by cutting small thin strips of foam, doubling 3-4 pieces about 2 inches long thru a small metal ring then securing it at the ring with several wraps of tying thread; run the leader thru the ring looped, then bring the indicator thru the loop; you can easily change the depth and they float really well. I sometimes substitute a very small rubber band for the ring; works just as good. Takes just a minute or two to make several. I also like the thangabobber but they're just too expensive!!!!I fish a small jig fly under a strike indicator when brim/bass/crappie are shallow. Very little trout water in Texas-p-

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:38 pm • # 28 

Harry Murray of Edinburgh, Virginia sells an orange sleeve that slips on the leader. I like it because it doesn't keep the fly from sinking and I can see it down a couple of feet in the water. Works best sliding it on the section of the leader above the tippet. The tippet knot keeps it from sliding down to the fly.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:29 am • # 29 

I've used just about every strike indicator imaginable growing up in northern Michigan. I used them mainly for fishing steelhead in the rivers off from Lake Superior. I found the yarn indicators to be my favorite as they land softer and if I broke off in a sweeper I wasn't out an expensive rig. I did use the lightning strike indicators in the really cold months because they didn't get effected by ice build up as much. As far as ultra light I prefer yarn for sure or a good floating dry fly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:45 pm • # 30 

I often fish dries down to size 24s , and in midge or caenis hatches seeing takes can be a problem I sometimes smear tow or three inches of tippet say a foot back from the point with Loon biostrike almost just a paint smear thickness but its amazing how it shows up but doesn't affect the leader behaviour and cause drag .

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:07 pm • # 31 

ericsbeetle wrote:
I often fish dries down to size 24s , and in midge or caenis hatches seeing takes can be a problem I sometimes smear tow or three inches of tippet say a foot back from the point with Loon biostrike almost just a paint smear thickness but its amazing how it shows up but doesn't affect the leader behaviour and cause drag .

Andy

I didn't know that existed till I saw your post . I bought some, now just need a trip to try it out . This Saturday on bluegills I'm hoping . Tasty little buggers .

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply