It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:10 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I really hesitate to bring this up here because I know folks are even more passionate about firearms than they are about UL fishing poles Image but here goes:

I'm in the market for a very small frame gun that can be carried easily in cargo shorts, etc. My budget is around $400 or less. While initially looking at J-Frame sized Taurus type of revolvers I came across a couple .380 autos that were intriguing (and yes, I know it's almost impossible to find .380 ammo right now in large parts of the country). The autos were also more compact than the small frame revolvers although I know the reliability issue raises its head quickly.

The two auto's I looked at and handled (but have not fired) are the Sig 238 and Ruger LCP. The Ruger is about $100 cheaper but other than that I liked the feel of both. I think the Sig would be the better pistol but the Ruger may very well be good enough.

Do any of you guys have *hands-on* experience with either of these guns? There are plenty of sites out there that praise and demonize each of these models--like everything else I guess. I'd just lke to get some info from someone I'm acquainted with who actually owns or has fired either.

BTW, this is not a piece of wilderness kit--I have a .45 for that. This is geared more toward urban bipeds who haunt some of the fishing areas around here Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:22 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Jerry, I used to have a Taurus 85 Ultralight Stainless snubby. It was very accurate for a 2" .38. It had a smooth trigger too, and I was able to shoot it very well in defensive drills. For the money they aren't a bad buy at all.

As for a .380, I don't have much experience with many, and only own one, and it's a junk Jennings.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:37 pm • # 3 

I have a Colt Mustang, if you want to shoot it. Don

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:18 pm • # 4 

My Father in Law bought a LCP Ruger. He hasn't shot it yet on the account of finding ammo. It seems a nice concealable shooter...with my only fear of it is forgetting it's in my pocket and going somewhere I shouldn't be packing a gun, then getting in trouble.

I think the the J frame is a nice shooter. A good friend of mine in Nebraska has an Airlight. He shoots it real good. If I were to find myself in the market for such a shooter, I would look into one...or perhaps the Ruger LCR, their latest pocket revolver. I do think 38 ammo is easier to find and packs a bigger punch should God Forbid, You need it. There is also a wider range of loads for it.

I don't pack a gun around town, though I wonder if I should start. Things are getting crazy. I do carry a shooter in my fanny pack I use as a fishing vest. It is a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special...one of the early ones. I roll my own ammo and have since age 12. I shoot two loads in it, one a Keith Style 250gr SWC out of an RCBS Mold over a charge of Universal Clays, the other is a Hornaday XTP 200gr over a charge of the same powder. Both loads exceed 750fps and allow plenty of short range punch.

I pack it mostly for toothy critters.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:56 am • # 5 
Administrator

Thanks for the info guys! I still might lean towards a little j-frame but the auto's are about and inch shorter, quite a bit lighter, and would be easier in a front pocket I think. Another thing pushing me towards the Sig is the 1911-ish design. My Colt 1911 is my favorite handgun and the Sig single-action design appeals to me although I know that's a big negative for a lot of folks. The LCP, on the other hand, is just so light--that would be good too.

Don, I appreciate the offer! I won't be able to shoot for at least a month--maybe I'll be able to locate some .380 ammo by then :-)

David, I'll be interested to hear what you Father In Law things of his when he finally gets a chance to try it. I know what you mean about worrying about leaving it in your pocket. They are pretty small and light and it would be easy to do. For me, it would be more of a another piece of fishing gear to jam in my cargo shorts. That's the thought anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:24 am • # 6 
Administrator

Jerry, You might want to look into a Kel-tec P32. Ammo is easier to find, and the gun is about the size of most .25 autos. The guns it's self isn't all that expensive.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:36 pm • # 7 

I can't think of any pistol, even a Beretta tip up, that's so light I'd forget it was in my pocket, although the J-frame Air Weight comes close! I think it's a damned shame that you feel like you need protection against bad guys just to go fishing. At least the law in TX would probably be on your side if you had to shoot someone. Most other states I'd recommend bear spray and a nice thick stick over firepower to stand some chance of getting a self defense plea, rather than a "going in armed threat to the public" or worse felony charge. If you're comfortable with the 1911, I'd stick with an auto, maybe even a compact 9mm. If you had to use the thing, you'd want plenty of rounds in the magazine, plenty of punch, and the mindset to shoot to kill. I carried a 1911 for a lot of years, then a Sig, but I was working, not trying to enjoy myself. I also had a pilot's flare pen in my pocket for a backup--point blank, no one's walking away from a .45 chunk of WP in their gut!

-CC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:18 pm • # 8 

I'll add a reply. I have .380 auto. I used to carry it when I lived in New Orleans. It is a double action knock off of a beretta. I haven't felt the need to carry since I moved back to Illinois. I carried .22 cal and a 38 cal when fishing in New Orleans. Both could be loaded with snake shot. I can carry in Illinois as long as the gun is in a case and not loaded. (A fanny pack made to carry a gun would work.) I can load an auto a lot fast under stress than a 38 even with a speed loader. I've been thinking about getting a boat gun again, but nothing too UL.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:04 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Did a little more research over the weekend. Found a killer deal locally. And went for it. Here's a shot of my latest piece of UL gear next to an Orvis Extra Small flybox and a little Flambeau 2026 (3"x4").

And one more of my complete urban UL outfit (Dan Craft 6 pc 0 wt, BPS UL reel)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:15 pm • # 10 

Now that is some eye candy!!!Love the auto...nice size...and of course the rod/reel....you know how to pick em thats for sure...good job...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:19 am • # 11 
Administrator

Sweet SIG Jerry. Those look a lot like the old Colt Mustangs. Now if you could only find .380 ammo right?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:04 am • # 12 

Sweet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:11 am • # 13 
Administrator

J, I've ordered some online. It's backordered but by the time I'm recovered enough to shoot it should be in.

Rob, thanks!

Marion, yeah, I agree. I think it's a sweet looking little piece of fishing tackle :-)

Here are a couple more pics to show size relative to my hand. I like it!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:31 am • # 14 

I have the P-32 Kal-tec, which is similar in size to the gun shown; I carry it when traveling alone and/or fishing up in the sticks-p-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:55 pm • # 15 

I have the kel-tec 3AT (.380) for the same situations. I like it a lot. That sig is sweet. I like it. Does the safety also serve as a decocker like the larger models?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:20 pm • # 16 

Nice little "toy". But you know now we will expect a range report (with pics).

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply