It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4   Page 4 of 4   [ 66 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:54 pm • # 61 

There are miles and miles beautiful trout streams outside of bear country. I was never able to enjoy fishing in bear country with or without a firearm, thus I simply don't. I would rather fish in non-bear country waters than have to worry about whether or not I should be armed. I fish to reduce stress, not add to it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:32 pm • # 62 
Administrator

These are all the guns I need:

*and no, that's not an anti-gun statement.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:34 pm • # 63 

I'm late to the party too. My favorite fishing is remote streams and lakes. I've encountered boar and a sow and cub black bears on climbing outings. There are no poisonous snakes in Western Washington but I have kept alert in tall grassy, brushy and rocky terrain while climbing and fishing on the dry side. Both have been as intent on avoiding me as I was them. Cougars concern me more than anything else because they are silent stalkers and on their prey before it can react. Back in the day I hunted upland game but the passion was lost when my beloved partner could no longer range for birds. I participated ("competed" while technically correct would be a stretch) in IPSC but couldn't afford to keep up with the big dawgs who put thousands of rounds down range per month. I'm a CWP holder, I've brought my Ruger Mark I along on trips, and carried my M1911 in a SERPA Molle chest rig, but you know what? I use fly fishing as an escape from a stressful and dark world into the awesome beauty where wild trout thrive and I'd really just rather not deal with the weight and the mental frame of mind of carrying while fishing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:34 am • # 64 

Yep, I am bringing this one back from the dead. Apologies in advance :) I just wanted to reply to the original topic of carrying in the woods. I just picked up a new gun for this purpose, it is a 44mag Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. I bought a chest holster for it to hopefully make it easier to carry while fly fishing. It will also be my gun for camping, hiking, dirt biking, etc. We live in black bear, cougar, moose country and I feel that I should have some form of defense for these types of critters.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 pm • # 65 

Teledan, is that a Kenai rig? How do you like it? I'm interested in feedback on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:02 pm • # 66 

I remember reading an article a few months ago about a fishing guide in the northwest who was guiding a man and his son when a grizzly charged them. The guide managed to kill the grizzly with a 9mm. He said he kept shooting 'til the bear fell down a few feet away. Now that guide is apparently a really cool, collected sort of guy who is a very good shot, or he is just lucky as hell.

Larry

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4   Page 4 of 4   [ 66 posts ] New Topic Add Reply