It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 40 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: CCW Shooters?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:20 am • # 1 

How many of you guys pack a shooter while out fishing? I typically do, one of my shooters a Charter Arms Bulldog (old version) 44 Special that I cannot hit anything with if it beyond 30 feet or so...but it packs nice in my little hip pack. The next is a 30 year old Ruger Security Six Stainless Steel 4" 357. It is a good shooter and reliable as heck. I can shoot it rather well as I have owned it for decades. The final shooter is my custom Ruger Super Blackhawk 4 3/4" 45 Colt. I carry this one if I am in Grizzly Country here in Idaho. If the bears are out in force like they often are in the Fall, I sometimes have a Winchester M94 carbine 450 Marlin over my shoulder too. It is quite a bit lighter than Marlin's Guide Gun and it is a tad shorter too but it is likely not as tough...but I like it more. My wife carries a Taurus Tracker 4" Titanium 41 Mag on her when we are out and about...and she lets me pack it sometimes too when I go fishing alone...I really like this one. Though it is a thunderous shooter to touch off...weighing in no more than it does, she shoots it really well.

If and when I get back to work, I am thinking about getting a Glock 20 10mm. I went fishing with a co worker this fall and he packed one. He did it up right with a custom barrel and trigger. While it may not be Grizzly medicine...hell a hot loaded 44 mag/45 Colt is barely so....it is enough for most other critters...two legged or four. The big problem we are having with in Idaho anymore is our run away wolf population...which is at epidemic levels. With deer and elk and moose populations dangerously low, the wolves are showing up close to town and along river bottoms. They are becoming bold as hell. I think a Glock 10mm would be a big comfort should I have to fend off a pack of them. So what do you guys pack?

Post subject: Re: CCW Shooters?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:15 am • # 2 

Begium is not exactly known for the bears or wolves, heck there aren't any.
Also apart from a few hunters i know no one who owns a gun, and that translates to no one i know who fishes.

sound tempting with grizzlies and other toothy stuff though

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:47 am • # 3 

I used to do a lot of solo backpacking (not so much here in Indiana :( ) I can remember a night or two in the high Uintas, and another in the Wind Rivers that a firearm would have brought some "comfort". But I've never carried, and have no desire to.

---David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 am • # 4 
Administrator

Here in Ohio we only have to worry about two legged vermin, although the coyote population keeps getting larger, and bolder every year. If I'm fishing in the back yard, I will sometimes take my little Beretta .22 with me, but very rarely. I don't have my carry permit yet, so I can't carry anywhere else. I hope to remedy the situation this year though.

I've owned two Glocks in the past, both .40, and ended up selling both. I honestly don't care for them as they come from the factory. The only ones I have really liked so far (that I've handled) are ones that have been modded by my friend at Templar Arms. http://www.templarcustomarms.com/index.php

If you watch the photo gallery on the front page, you will see my friends personal Glock 38, it's the one with the olive drab frame. His grip mods make Glocks feel SO much better in my hand. If I ever purchased another Glock it would go straight to Templar Arms for grip/frame, and slide mods. I can do the trigger mods myself (I'd go with the Ghost connector with short reset), and I'd probably put a Match grade barrel in it too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:29 pm • # 5 

My fishing carry piece is a SS Taurus Judge 3" barrel in 410 / .45 Colt. I keep two chambers loaded with 410 shot-shells and the other three loadded with .45 colt cartridges. It gives me great comfort. (It will really cut a snake up at 30 feet.)
And the .45 colt will handle wild dogs / coyotes / hogs etc..(don't leave home without it) "I do have my CWP " so I carry where ever I can...............Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 pm • # 6 

Hey Don, How does that shooter do with 45 Colt loads? You getting decent accuracy out to say 25 yards with cast bullets? IN my custom SBH 45, I runs some really heavy loads - 325gr LBT LFN's at around 1300fps. Those would likely be too much for the Judge, but I have loaded up several hundred 260gr Kieth style cast bullets at around 1000fps. I believe they would be great in the Judge. Also, how do normal shot loads work at say around 10-15 yards?

You know, that might make a better fishing arm than the Glock 10mm. Many places I go fishing in the Fall are also good grouse areas too. I could throw a few shot loads in my pocket to dust a grouse or two.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:46 am • # 7 

I would love to find a 45 barrel for an AMT Backup. The 400 Corbon is to hard to find ammo for

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:16 pm • # 8 

My Judge load is a 255gn Keith style hard cast LSWC over a modest load of Unique. I have never pushed the Judge very hard, I know it is not nearly as strong as my Ruger Vaquero. Accuracy is not near as good as my Ruger, but it will shoot "minute-of-pumpkin" @ 25 yds easily. (best was about 2-3") I don't have bears here so the judge will handle anything else I may encounter......I have dispatched several water moccasons and one rattle snake with the 410 shells so far. (It does a great job on snakes). I fell in and dunked it once..(the rubber soles on my bootfoot waders are really slick on moss covered rocks)....but it didn't hurt the SS revolver in the least.........Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 pm • # 9 

I'm a ccw holder, and when fishing alone, carry either a Springfield XDm or Walther P22, depending on how much clothes I'm wearing. From time to time, I carry a Sig Mosquito. I know a .22lr is not optimal for self defense, but a small gun is better than no gun...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:19 pm • # 10 

As a CCW holder I pretty much always have a weapon on me. What I carry depends on a lot of things like where I am going and what I am doing. It could be anything from nice little S&W .38 Airweight to a Kimber Raptor. When I go fishing I tend to carry my XD a lot as it is light and holds a nice number of rounds. If I am really worried about bears, I could always take the 870 and load it with some nice slugs :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:51 pm • # 11 

I'm getting my ccw and an LCP as soon as the tax return comes. It'll get carried everywhere with me--esp. while fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:00 pm • # 12 

timber, the LCP is a neat little shooter...but if I can make a suggestion, if you can test shoot one, you might change your mind. My Father in Law bought one...and while it fits perfectly in your shirt pocket, it kicks worse than my Wife's 4" Taurus Tracker Titanium 41 magnum and unless my target was 10 feet away or closer, at least with my marginal shooting skills, the target was safe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:13 am • # 13 

I carry a Springer XD 9sc most days and that includes fishing. Once upon a time I had a Sig Pro .40 but some thug decided he needed it more than I did. That was a great pistol especially for carrying while on the river. I hid really well under waders.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:03 pm • # 14 

How do you like the Sig Pro?

I have a P220ST that I just love.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:44 pm • # 15 

I have a Ruger LCR in 38+P and even with my poor shooting skills can hold a 3inch group at 21ft....course the crimson laser sight helps :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:46 am • # 16 
Administrator

I have a concealed carry permit but really only carry when fishing by myself, and most of that is in urban areas where it's not uncommon to run into illegal activity and unfriendly people.

If wearing shorts I just carry a little SIG P238 in a pocket holster. If I'm wearing big-boy pants and a belt I carry either a Kahr CW9 (single stack 9mm) or a Springfield XD Sub-compact (double-stack 9mm). The Kahr is obviously thinner and much easier to conceal but I'm way more accurate with the XD and it's almost my favorite handgun (my stainless customized Colt Commander 1911 is my favorite).

I almost bought a Glock 26 but I have a special forces friend who convinced me to shoot the XD before I decided. I really like both and could be happy with either but I was more accurate and smoother with the XD.

The P238--cocked and locked

The P238, CW9, and XD

Different angle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:02 pm • # 17 

robgcp wrote:
I have a Ruger LCR in 38+P and even with my poor shooting skills can hold a 3inch group at 21ft....course the crimson laser sight helps :)

I've thought about an LCR a time or two but here in Idaho, I mostly pack for defense of mean and nasty 4 legged critters (which I have never had to use a gun for any kind of defense in the woods - and have only had a few encounters with wild beasts, once a bull moose that I thought I might have to shoot as he was giving every indication he wanted to hump my leg. The next was an evil snowshoe hare that went for my juggler vein as I was trying to photograph him in Glacier National Park. And the last was an 18" Smallmouth Bass that attacked me after he got tired of running from me when I was trying to land him.)

Anyway, I have wondered if a 38 was enough. I carry a 357 too with heavy cast bullets.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:59 pm • # 18 

Sasha,

I loved that Sig Pro. The DA trigger was the best of any pistol I have every shot. It was long but really smooth. the SA follow ups were short and really crisp. It was really accurate. The only problem was that it was just too bulky for EDC. If I every get the cash together, I will likely pick up another one. Maybe with a little luck the goon that stole it will get caught and I'll get it back. Not holding my breathe on that that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:36 am • # 19 

I've considered others, mainly pocket semi-autos. I loved the Sig 238 when I tested it out at the range, but I can't imagine carrying a single action in my pocket (I strongly feel all carried guns should have one in the pipe). Still new to handguns, so it's probably just a mental defect of mine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:38 am • # 20 
Administrator

timber wrote:
but I can't imagine carrying a single action in my pocket (I strongly feel all carried guns should have one in the pipe).

That bothers a lot of people. Being a long time 1911 shooter I'm completly comfortable with it cocked and locked in my pocket. Pocket holster covers the trigger and is notched to hold the safety in place. I'd never carry it loose in my pocket though. I prefer it to the Kahr, which is always just one long trigger pull from firing.

But you really dont want to carry anything you're not totally comfortable with. XD is cool with both a trigger and grip safety.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 40 posts ] New Topic Add Reply