It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:54 am • # 1 

Will we ever see the end of the ammo shortage? (which I believed is mostly caused by doomsday ammo hoarders). Even if ammo does return to the shelves....and I might add reloading components as well, will the prices ever return to some kind of more honest level and not price gouged beyond the evil of the oil companies?

It almost makes me want to chuck the whole stinking thing.....sell off most of the guns, except for a few family handdowns, put them in the safe with what ammo I have, take the cash and buy the fly rod collection of a lifetime and some nice reels, not to mention a collection of fine hackle capes. The whole thing has me that pissed off. To hell with it, I can spend the rest of my life just fly fishing and be completely happy. Leave me a side arm, my Dad's old 30-30 and shotgun, a couple of .22s for the kids, maybe the old 300 H&H that Dad owned and sell the rest....if I can sell them. It appears that the gun buying frenzy is slowing, now its all about buying all the ammo you can get. Well, I am really beginning to wonder if it is worth it.....let the stinking doomsdayers, win, they can have it all...let them sit in their houses on a mountain of ammo and stashes of food, with their assault rifles in absolute paranoia that the world is on the brink of destruction. I'll just be perfectly happy out there on a small trout stream, maybe this time with a complete collection of Orvis Superfines to choose a rod from.....the gun safe filled with Orvis, and maybe some nice glass and cane rods......I mean to hell with it. What the hell good are guns when there is no ammo and when ammo does return, you can't afford it.

Rant over.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:10 am • # 2 

As an un-american, I have no dog in this fight, but to the disinterested external observer it is pretty clear who (which companies, industries, lobby groups) have the most to gain, economically speaking, from the fear-induced shopping sprees, hoarding and resultant shortages and gouging. An elemental understanding of the relationship between supply, demand and price; and an objective willlingess to 'follow the money' sometimes helps to figure out what is really happening.

Just my opinion, of course. And like I said, no dog in the fight. Not even an emotional attachment to any of the contestants.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:37 pm • # 3 

The American public is the big winner. "It will never happen" is the constant refrain, until it happens. Then, maybe for the first time, you have to reflect on what you thought you knew. Yes, the price of ammo has gone through the roof and yes the suppliers have a much improved bottom line, but we learned a lesson. A relatively cheap one at that.

I am a huge fan of Obamacare too. "You can have universal coverage and pay lower premiums and get better service, and blah blah blah". I say keep those promises coming. WE WILL LEARN. Another cheap lesson, as I see it. The hard lesson is death, maybe waiting for rationed care. Turns out that death and taxes can arrive at the same time. But I already knew that.

One of my friends just this week received the email raising his premiums $450 a month. I asked him what he learned. My political anthem is the Who song: We won't get fooled again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:04 pm • # 4 

I might add that I also try to make informed choices. It is impractical to hoard more ammo than you can conveniently carry. I guess where David lives you can make an argument that a cache of ammo in a remote cabin is practical, but not here in suburbia. I don't own a horse.

I get a huge kick out of zombie movies cause they tend to deflate a lot of the "master plans". The current paranoia finds outlet in these shows.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:06 pm • # 5 

Not wishing to get political, I will am my reply back to my 1st post......I am just not sure if it is worth it. I do like guns, but with all that is happening, I am not sure if I can afford them anymore, hence I am not sure how much they even mean to me anymore. Whatever doomsdayers have planned as far as a revolution, they will just have to do without me. I guess I am no patriot, in fact I never pretended to be. I guess the only doomsday I see coming will be caused more by reaction than law. But that is just me.

What makes me happiest right now, my family and fly fishing. Guns are a secondary part of my life. I go hunting, but if I never hunted again, it would be fine with me. So I go target shooting....hmmm, with the cost of ammo now, if you can find it, I have a hard time giving a s**t about spending what I consider as way too much money for that activity, even one that I have some interest in. So I look at a decent collection of firearms in the safe...smaller now than it was a year ago, but still containing some nice firearms......and I can't afford to shoot them, even with the ammo I already have for them.......and I am now fishing with imported cheap fly rods, good fly rods, but still cheap ones. I mean my entire collection of 6 fly rods is worth less than 500 bucks and this is the outdoor hobby I am doing the most of right now...that which makes be happiest.

Just considering selling off say half the gun collection and having a few nice Orvis Superfines...new ones with warranty to fish streams with. Just rambling here to a degree, but starting to think it is really silly to be that attached to guns when I can't shoot them anyway and when ammo does return to store shelves, what will it cost.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:14 pm • # 6 

I get your point David. Unfortunately, our American love of firearms as a hobby grows out of our regard for guns as a necessity. I suspect most of use fish because we could eat them, if we needed to.

Politics seems to intrude into all our simple pleasures these days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:17 pm • # 7 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
I might add that I also try to make informed choices. It is impractical to hoard more ammo than you can conveniently carry. I guess where David lives you can make an argument that a cache of ammo in a remote cabin is practical, but not here in suburbia. I don't own a horse.

I get a huge kick out of zombie movies cause they tend to deflate a lot of the "master plans". The current paranoia finds outlet in these shows.

I guess, I can't understand why some feel the need to sit on a pile of ammo....I mean what to they think is coming? I asked my paranoid Father in Law once after he discussed some future tactical event he thought is coming, where we are in total lock down in our homes in some 'Randy Weaver' type of scenario where we hold the Gov't at bay. Hmmm, what kind of happy ending does he really expect out of that kind of activity? Can he look in the mirror and honestly ask himself just how many fellow human beings he can put in the cross hairs and pull the trigger? I told him to flat not count on me coming over to participate. I mean, what are people thinking? IN truth, I really believe most of it is 'talk' anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:23 pm • # 8 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
The American public is the big winner. "It will never happen" is the constant refrain, until it happens. Then, maybe for the first time, you have to reflect on what you thought you knew. Yes, the price of ammo has gone through the roof and yes the suppliers have a much improved bottom line, but we learned a lesson. A relatively cheap one at that.

I am a huge fan of Obamacare too. "You can have universal coverage and pay lower premiums and get better service, and blah blah blah". I say keep those promises coming. WE WILL LEARN. Another cheap lesson, as I see it. The hard lesson is death, maybe waiting for rationed care. Turns out that death and taxes can arrive at the same time. But I already knew that.....

I sense you have a very important point to make here, but I must admit I'm confused. I expect I lack the background to understand your message. Can you clarify? I'd like to be able to see what you're getting at here.
thx
brent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:24 pm • # 9 
Administrator

From what I have seen it's projected to be 9 months till supply gets back to normal. I'm not sure what to think any more. There are plenty of retailers out there that are price gouging right now. I keep a tab on who these businesses are, and will not do any business with them when supply and prices do get better. Cheaper Than Dirt is charging $69.69 for a 50rd box of Tulammo 9mm. Can you say greed? It's $10.99 at Walmart when actually in stock.

One company that hasn't raised it's ammo prices is Midway USA, I've done business with them for years, and will continue to do so just because Larry Potterfield decided that his customers were more important than turning a quick profit during this ammo price bubble, which by the way will burst just like the housing market did.

Walmart hasn't raised their ammo prices either. The only problem is that Walmart and Midway USA don't have much in stock.

There are a few other online retailers that haven't shafted buyers, but it would seem that many saw dollar signs and raised prices. Go on Gunbroker and you will see that there is ammo for sale, and that it's selling for many times it's MSRP.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 pm • # 10 

I think the zombie craze provides that insight. We are preparing for the end times, even if we don't quite know what shape it will take. The zombie threat allows us to laugh and buy a new rifle at the same time. We will not be shooting the good folk. We will be killing zombies.

The ammo hoarders need ammo for zombie slaying. Better to be prepared. Evidently, there are no zombies in Canada, just corporate marauders. :rollin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:38 pm • # 11 

I've killed thousands of zombies in the last few months, didn't cost much either...and ammo is free for the taking:

Xbox 360 is my weapon of most use for these undead. :lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:52 pm • # 12 

There you go, target practice! I actually do have a point about the zombies. The zombie thing is an extended metaphor, but the metaphor has more meaning than reality. Neat trick. Think of your father in law prepping for WWZ and you will have better insight, David.

If you don't appreciate the zombie threat, you cannot understand the passion surrounding the gun debate. Wheeze - it makes no sense to accuse ammo companies of profiting during a zombie attack.

PS - Everyone runs out of ammo in a zombie attack.

Last edited by Zenkoanhead on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:57 pm • # 13 

My son and I have been talking lately about getting into archery. In my youth, I was almost fanatical about archery and bow hunting. I shot my first deer with a bow. I could really get into traditional archery, and get a good compound bow for my boy. Seasons are liberal and it is easier to get onto private land with a bow than a rifle (easier with a fly rod too).

The river bottoms near my home are loaded with a booming whitetail population and the season begins Sept 1st and ends late December and you can get an extra antlerless tag too. I don't have to spend gas to get to a gun range, pay range fees, buy expensive ammo....(read - hunt for expensive ammo). It looks like I will be working within 30 days....maybe I can get set up on a couple of bows, for me and my bow for the Fall hunting season. If I dump of couple of useless (now useless) firearms in the safe, I can get set up faster....and maybe have a couple of new Orvis Superfines to boot....and #1 and a #3. Hell, there is a NRA Centennial commemorative model 94 30-30 Winchester in the box that would pay for all of it by itself....and more....but I doubt I would sell that one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:01 pm • # 14 

No escaping into archery David. We have the "Hunger Games" for that angle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:08 pm • # 15 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
Think of your father in law prepping for WWZ and you will have better insight, David.

If you don't appreciate the zombie threat, you cannot understand the passion surrounding the gun debate. Wheeze - it makes no sense to accuse ammo companies of profiting during a zombie attack.

PS - Everyone runs out of ammo in a zombie attack.

There is no possible train of thought, political ideology or religious dogma that could possibly give me insight into what is happening other than a society going nutz.

.........and what the heck is the Zombie thing about? The only Zombies I see are crazy people, radical politicians (on both sides) and fascist religious nut cases. Sorry, maybe I need to bow out of my own thread before this spins me way out of control.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:21 pm • # 16 

Stay with me here David. During the zombie apocalypse society has broken down. It is indeed a world gone mad. You are the character who wakes up in the hospital and staggers outside trying to make sense do it all with a vague apprehension that something really bad just happened. I love that character. He usually survives into the second reel too.

You will meet all kinds of interesting characters in this script.

Does this movie review help? Do you get the scene about the guns and ammo?

Any literature major out there willing to explain the concept of a "suspension of disbelief" as it relates to the zombie narrative? You can only appreciate the zombie metaphor from within the zombie metaphor. This is life imitating art.

Last edited by Zenkoanhead on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Traditional archery is just as much a gear disease as fly fishing. Don't ask how I know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:03 pm • # 18 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Traditional archery is just as much a gear disease as fly fishing. Don't ask how I know.

Oh, I could see the beauty of traditional archery. Now and then, I pick up a copy of traditional archery magazine and drool over the bows and arrows inside.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:32 am • # 19 

Divide and conquer. You won't see the toxic cloud from the drones.
I refuse to go out with a whimper though. Have a great day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:13 am • # 20 

I really appreciate the insights provided here. As I said, I'm not an American, but I do value the American people and your country in general. Danged good neighbours for the most part, in my opinion, and that is to be appreciated every day of life.

As a result, these discussions sadden me. So much fear, so much anger. You deserve so much better....

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply