It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: CCW guns.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:51 am • # 61 

:lol :lol
Joe: As a Canadian, I found that hilarious! Thanks!
(as an amateur motorcycle mechanic, I know how hard it can be to find a 9mm wrench ;) ).
brent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:55 pm • # 62 

Joe C wrote:
A friend asked me what I thought he needed to defend his home.
I suggested a 9mm, a couple clips, and a box of shells. A few days later,
he sent me this picture and asked how to make it work. :lol

That's funny! :lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:51 am • # 63 

I have 19/4, 26/4 & a 43

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:15 pm • # 64 

Just a little update on the Shield. I recently installed a set of Tru Glo fiber optic sights on mine, after trying a set on a friend's gun. A definite thumbs up; they are much quicker to find in the daylight and not at all a hindrance in the dark. I have let a number of my LTC (License to Carry) students use it to qualify after they stated they were considering acquiring one, and they all loved it and the sights. I shoot it dry, and it goes hundreds of rounds between cleanings; it hasn't missed a lick yet. I like this gun more and more. I am drooling over the new .45 Shield, but since I already have a Detonics Combat Master .45 that I generally carry when I'm not carrying the Shield, I can't really justify the cost.

I still like the way it shoots and can't see spending the money for an Apex trigger, as impressive an improvement as it is over the Shield's mediocre trigger. If you are considering a Shield, I can recommend it heartily.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:55 pm • # 65 

Thanks for bringing this back up hipshot. I've got a keltec 380 right now, not a fun gun to shoot a lot but it conceals well and I have never had any issues with it. I would like to get a 9mm though. I had a Glock 23 a while back but it was too bulky for me to carry easily. The Shield 9mm sounds nice, maybe I'll have to go check one out at the local shop.

Last edited by Teledan on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:48 am • # 66 

Has anyone seen/shot the Honor Guard from Honor Defense? Great reviews online. It's about the same size as a Shield 9 and Glock 43. I want one, but have too much invested in my Shield

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:21 pm • # 67 

I hope I can manage this without offense, because I mean absolutely none. I own a lot of sporting arms myself and have had lots of fun with handguns at the range. I fully understand and support the "Have it and not need it vs. need it and not have it" thing. I feel the same way about pocket knives and lip balm. As a Canadian, I have no real experience with, or exposure to CCW; but I do fish in the US a few times a year. I recall parts of this discussion focusing upon what folks carry when fishing, and understand that the concern is mostly with regard to two-legged confrontations. (I fish alone in bear and moose country but anything I'd be willing to haul along while wading would not be particularly more useful than an air horn).
So here's my question: Does this need arise? Have you experienced it? Is it a regional or local issue?
Curious canuck.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:58 pm • # 68 

Brent, if I went fishing where there were bears I wouldn't need a gun. I'd simply give them a nasty look and they'd run away because they would be afraid of my face. Heck, I'm afraid of it when I see myself in the mirror each morning.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:16 pm • # 69 

Ah. That must be what they mean by 'bear faced'?????

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:43 am • # 70 

And if I didn't have a hat on they would be blinded by the glare from my bald head and run for the hills.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:26 pm • # 71 

Brent, the need is not common, but it does arise. I have not personally been in such a situation while fishing, but have seen it occur to others on occasion. Whether to carry is a personal choice (and I am aware that it's not an option in Canada), but doing so does not signify unrealistic paranoia. I didn't expect my powerboat to burn, but I always carried a fire extinguisher aboard, and would have even had it not been required by law.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:54 am • # 72 

Hipshot: Thanks for the reply. In the occurrences with which you are familiar, what precipitates the altercation? theft? random personal threat? angling related disagreement?
Yes, I appreciate your fire extinguisher analogy; just trying to get a sense of what starts the fire.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:11 pm • # 73 

Brent, sometimes it's theft or robbery, especially closer to urban areas. The thugs all know that people in remote locations are easy pickings, as are their unattended vehicles parked at remote locations. Sometimes it's just someone (often several someones) wanting to bully someone else, and a lone angler looks like an easy mark. In my area it's not uncommon to find homeless folks living off the grid in the woods, and many of those are fugitives from justice who aren't above taking your stuff however they can get it. I have seen more people with less regard for their fellow man of late, and the trend seems to be growing. As a cop, I get to see more of the bad element than most people, but most of my friends (the majority of them being non-LEOs) have observed the same trend.

Again, if you are comfortable carrying (and it's legal), there's no reason not to. If you aren't comfortable with it, no one says you have to. Just don't leave the gun at home because you're afraid of being called paranoid.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:52 pm • # 74 

It all makes sense, Hipshot. Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea. In this regard, I guess we're a pretty naïve bunch up here, for the most part.
brent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:37 am • # 75 

Hipshot, it is funny you mention homeless people. The other day I was out fishing, working my way upstream and I got to a small area that looked promising so I was fishing it for a few minutes when I heard a noise in the trees behind me. I turned around and saw a this homeless guy with his campsite set up. He was acting strangely and I think he was throwing things in my direction. It was a little unnerving but I felt better knowing that I was carrying my handgun. I kept making my way upstream and he didn't bother me but it is times like these that I am glad I carry. We also have mountain lions and bears around here so it is nice to have some sort of protection.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:39 am • # 76 

While most of the homeless people you meet won't pose an immediate threat, many of them are fugitives from justice, and a great many of them are EDPs (emotionally disturbed persons) whose actions -- and reactions -- are unpredictable. You should always be cautious and aware around them; not to the point of provoking them, but aware and prepared to react if necessary. This is not an indictment of all homeless people; just a cautionary advisory about some of them, based on over 30 years of handling them as a cop.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:14 am • # 77 

wheezeburnt wrote:
It all makes sense, Hipshot. Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea. In this regard, I guess we're a pretty naïve bunch up here, for the most part.
brent

Brent, it's not you guys that are naive, it's your politicians. That British mentality; they believe that if they pass a law the bad guys will play by the same rules as the good citizens. There's a whole lot of that here too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:32 pm • # 78 

Hipshot: I meant naïve in terms of Canadians' behaviour while fishing in the US, not in terms of our level of endangerment here at home. I worked most of my life in the Dept of Natural Resources here in Canada, and cannot say I have heard of many incidents wherein an angler had to defend himself from a human threat, so as a sometimes angling tourist to your country, I was justifiably curious. I love visiting the US; been to much of it and found you folks to be, for the most part, wonderfully friendly, helpful and welcoming. So your input is a wake-up call for me.

I don't believe for one minute that Canada's gun laws would work in the US; your history/laws/social context and ours are not overly similar, and I'm not adequately informed to comment in any meaningful way on your laws or practises. As a lifetime Canadian firearms owner and hunter, I would say that, except for a dark period during which we had an ill-conceived gun registry, our firearms laws have served us reasonably well.
Anyway, I do appreciate your insight. I'll keep it in mind next time I'm visiting to fish.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 pm • # 79 

I'll bring this thread back to life with a little followup. I took our new hire to a local indoor range last week to knock out a quick duty pistol qualification while he was waiting to go get his uniforms. The rangemaster pulled a little pistol out of her backpack and handed it to me. She told me to try out her new gun. It was a nice looking pistol; one I'd never heard of: a SIG P365. Smaller than my Shield (shorter in length and height, but about half a frog hair wider), uses 10 round mags (12 rounders are available, but they are SIG proud of them), and has a trigger that is waaaaaaaay better than the Shield's, even the 2.0's. Everyone who's tried it agrees that it's a great trigger for a striker-fired gun. And they come from the factory adorned with tritium sights. Being putty in the hands of women with guns, I ran inside and bought the last one they had. Apparently the demand is much higher than the supply right now. I called Tucker (Tucker and Byrd Holsters right here in East Texas, where men are men and sheep are scared.....), who said he had already made up some of their signature kydex paddles with the leather bonded to the inside for the 365s, so I stopped by and acquired one on the way home. I got a box of 115 gr. ball ammo and shot it after a good cleaning. It started out hitting about 6" low at 7 yards. After 50 rounds it was hitting about 2" low. Breaking in nicely..... With the 135 gr. loads I normally carry in my 9mm it oughta be just about on target.

Anyway, I absolutely love this little gun! I'm pretty sure that once we get a little better acquainted, my Shield will be up for adoption. If you're looking for a small carry gun, give the new SIG P365 a good look. I'm pretty easy to dazzle with a new pistol, but this one is really special.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:07 am • # 80 

A bit of a followup on the P-365: I'm still loving it. A cautionary note, however: Due to the short grip frame, quick magazine changes are a challenge. After a few runs through our off-duty qualification, I've found that even with my small hands, a substantial grip shift is necessary to get the magazine to drop. I have to pull the magazine free to get it out in a hurry. I recognize that for a non-law enforcement carrier the need for speedy reloads is less likely than it would be for a cop, but it's still a possibility. The slightly longer grip frame on the Shield allows the magazine to fall right out, but it hangs up on the lower edge of my palm with the SIG. Unless you have extremely small hands, if you get a P-365 you might want to practice reloads a bit with it. I still love the gun; I just had to learn to work around the short grip frame.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply