It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: CCW guns.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:41 pm • # 41 

Warm and cold weather carry guns..........S&W 442 .38 SPL / SIG 1911 C3 .45 ACP
Nothing beats the 1911 in 45 for a defensive weapon, you don't need trick bullets, you don't need 14 rounds in the magazine to get the job done, reliable and accurate too..............Don in SC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:18 pm • # 42 

This is my personal protection carry piece (Almost Daily). It is a S&W Model 36 (no dash) in very good condition and I have it loaded with hand loads that duplicate the 38 special FBI plus P load.

I also have a Ruger SP 101 (In .357 Magnum) with the 4.2” barrel and adjustable sights that I sometime carry while fishing and /or am outdoors.

When Deer Season is in this is my carry pieces. Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum 6.5" barrel.

Enjoy,

The Guy Gill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:34 pm • # 43 

Still toting the Glock 19,

but seriously considering moving to the M&P 45 Compact - which unlike the 9 & 40 Compacts - it a Glock 19 size gun with a one piece grip - instead of 1/3 of the grip being mag extension. I wish Smith would make this gun in 9mm but I'm not holding my breath. 16 rnds 9mm > 9 rnds of 45 IMO - but M&P > Glock... tough decisions. .45 ammo is stupid expensive, but I still feel a pull of that particular M&P. I'm also batting around the idea of getting another full size 9 and trying to build a comfortable appendix holster for it that provides the concealment I want, without the crotch crease jabbing pain I do not want.

My wife recently sold her Beretta Nano and bought a Smith & Wesson SD9VE (grand-gun of the Sigma, far improved over the Sigma) and if it shoots nicely and reliably, I might pick one of those up instead of the M&P. They're $100 less than the M&P, they're Glock 19 size (and an ounce lighter than the Glock) and have some traits that I really like over the Glocks - better grip ergos, better magazine release (I can reach the mag release without releasing my grip on the Smith, can't do that with the Glock) and the stainless steel mags hold 16 rather than 15 rounds. The downside is that out of the box it has a longer, heavier trigger pull though the trigger on the SD9 is smoother than the Glocks. Not a big deal, and if it becomes a big deal, Apex makes a drop in trigger kit for the SD9 like they do the M&P.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:39 pm • # 44 

Got my CCW this past February qualifying with my .45ACP. While I don't intend to carry it with me in the community, it will be close by my side when camping in the middle of no where. I think I'll just sleep a little better in my tent with some protection. I plan to add a .357 magnum to my license as soon as the funds become available.
-Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:21 am • # 45 

Wow, been a year since I looked at this thread - my carry gun has changed since then. I did wind up buying an M&P 45 compact for a while - liked it, didn't love it. Loved it's size and grip - wished it was a 9mm. I've bit the bullet, pardon the pun, and returned to the M&P 9mm full size and compacts as my carry guns - I carry the full size 80% of the time, once in a while grabbing the compact instead of the big gun when it's time to get dressed. An M&P shield 9mm is on the short list of guns to obtain. My cousin picked one up, and on our last shooting trip my wife and I got to put about 400 rounds through it - plus his 500 or so (we shot the crap out of that gun, as it was probably the most fun to shoot next to the AR's) - my wife floated the idea of buying a pair of them, which I dig.

While I was one of the "single stack glock!!!!!" guys crying for it for the last 10 years - I'm over Glocks pretty much, and after handling one of the new G43s and comparing it side by side to a shield - I'll take the shield hands down. The only thing the Glock has over the Shield is the trigger - Smith & Wesson really needs to rework the M&P triggers to give them a better trigger. I got to play with a Sig P320 recently as well, and it had one of the nicest striker fired triggers I've tried, but I think the Glock has a better "defensive" trigger - with a stouter, tactile reset. But ergos and shootability of the Shield are great and live-fire, shooting drills, I had no problems using it and couldn't fault the trigger. You notice the quality of the trigger more when bullseye shooting, or slow-fire and dry-fire practice.

Still using holsters of my own make, though I did just break down and spend the cash for a BladeTech Total Eclipse holster as the only OWB holster I had until then for my M&P was a big one, built for use with a tac light attached. I wanted an OWB to carry while fishing that wasn't bulky, won't get in the way - and the Blade Tech fit the bill. I did have to modify it slightly - my full size M&P has the thumb safety. Normally I don't carry guns with thumb safeties, but the M&P's is very very 1911 like - and intuitive to use. I had to reform the sweat shield on the Eclipse to allow for the safety on my big gun. The way it works (and the way my IWB holsters are also) - even holstering the gun with the safety off, the holster snaps the safety on automatically when the gun is inserted.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:15 pm • # 46 
Administrator

I'm still carrying my M&P Shield 9mm. I see no need to change.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:53 am • # 47 

I'm really liking that Shield; I had the opportunity to snag one at a great price but couldn't find the funds. I still want to get one, but right now I'm trying to find a way to get a SoloSkiff. Wish I was rich........

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:06 am • # 48 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I'm still carrying my M&P Shield 9mm. I see no need to change.

One of my close cousins finally got his CHL. He'd picked up a shield earlier this year and last outing, he came with my wife and I to break in that gun. The three of us put almost 1,000 rnds down range in a day through it, and it never hiccuped. My wife loved it. I loved it - and I wasn't so sure I'd care for it, as thin as it is. When they were released, I didn't see the appeal since it was similar in size to the double stack Compact - but after getting a few hundred rounds through one - I've gotta add one of those to my carry setup. My wife says we should get 2. The Shield is, per her, the next gun "we" buy. And by "we" I mean "she" gets to buy a shield before I get any new guns.

I was also surprised that I can get 3 fingers on the grip with the flush fit magazine - barely, but I can get 3 on there. Can't do that with my double stack compact without the pinky extension mags.

Shield is a cool little gun.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:57 pm • # 49 

Still carrying my G17 mostly.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:33 am • # 50 

I carry a SCCY compact 9 as my everyday carry. They're relatively new in the business but the no questions asked warranty sold me. That and the torture tests on YouTube. It goes bang when I want it to and fits me perfect. #1 selling point.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:26 am • # 51 

Due to a fortuitous turn of events I just acquired a new 9mm Shield. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet, but I'm glad to have a serious weapon with no levers or hammers to snag for "down deep" carry. First 9mm pistol I ever owned.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:27 pm • # 52 

While not really compact enough to be a true CC gun, I've been really happy with my Springfield XD.

I wouldn't hesitate to get some compact variation of the Springfield XD.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:41 pm • # 53 

I really like the XDS (their single-stack compact); it was a tossup between that and the Shield (and the XDS is available in .45ACP). I have no doubt I'd be equally delighted with either one. I really wanted to get a 9mm though, since I've never owned a 9mm pistol. The 9mm ammunition that's currently available is light years ahead of what we had ten or fifteen years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:07 pm • # 54 

Well I finally got to shoot the Shield. Although I've never owned a 9mm pistol, I've shot a ton of them. I expected a little bit more slap out of the gun than what I gt; it's really a smooth shooter. I ran about 150 rounds through it. I was running fast double-taps on two targets, and three times I pulled the trigger before it had reset. I've done that with a 1911 in .45 before, but never with a 9 or a .40. Al three times it was the fourth shot. Anybody else ever had a Shield, or an M&P do that? I was using 115 grain ball ammo. I'm guessing that maybe the new gun was just slow cycling, since it isn't broken in yet. It got a thorough cleaning before I ever shot it.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the gun. Hopefully as it breaks in the slide will cycle a little faster.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:54 pm • # 55 

I took it to the range on qualification day last week and qualified with it on our off-duty course. It performed flawlessly, other than a few bobbles that were my fault. I had some issues on the timed reloads seating the short magazine, but that was because I have only shot 1911s for years, and my magazine seating procedure -- which works fine with my 1911s and my Detonics Combat Master -- wasn't adequate for the shorter gripframe on the Shield. I can correct that with training, and I will -- pronto. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks.... Because my eyes have aged along with the rest of me, I have a difficult time acquiring the sights when I shoot fast. I just did the old pointshoot thing at 3,5, and 7 yards, and used the sights at 15. My groups were a little bit larger than with the .45, but they were more than adequate for social purposes with what I'm carrying in the gun (Hornady Critical Defense, for now). Although the grip angle is fine for a 1911 junkie, the thinner, shorter gripframe apparently does make a difference, however slight.

Our off-duty course is a modified version of our duty weapon course. Since we draw from a concealed position, the time limits have been expanded slightly. I was using a Tucker Gunleather IWB rig which works well for me, and I didn't have to rush my shots. I had no "beat the slide" lockups this time, but I was shooting as fast as I could when I had the lockups before, and I had more time to space my shots during the qualification.

Still shickled titless with the 9mm Shield. Git'cha one.........

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:25 am • # 56 

Hipshot - you might look at the Trijicon "HD" sights as a replacement - the front sight is bright orange (like the front blade on many fine old revolvers) with a tritium dot in the center, with a serrated rear sight. MUCH easier for the eyes to pick up over the black.

The XS Big Dots are also very easy to pick up - it's an "express" v-notch type rear sight, drop the big white golf ball into the V and BAM. Not the greatest for bullseye precision shooting, but good for "combat" type shooting. Very easy to pick up and align. I've run these on my Glocks and I'm considering doing my M&P's in them.

Right now I have stock sights on both my full and compact - but I've given the front sight on each a home brewed "HD" treatment - using silver paint pen and then topping it with flouresent orange paint over the silver to make the front blade pop - until I decide on which replacement sights to go with.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:19 pm • # 57 

mmckenzie wrote:
Hipshot - you might look at the Trijicon "HD" sights as a replacement - the front sight is bright orange (like the front blade on many fine old revolvers) with a tritium dot in the center, with a serrated rear sight. MUCH easier for the eyes to pick up over the black.

The XS Big Dots are also very easy to pick up - it's an "express" v-notch type rear sight, drop the big white golf ball into the V and BAM. Not the greatest for bullseye precision shooting, but good for "combat" type shooting. Very easy to pick up and align. I've run these on my Glocks and I'm considering doing my M&P's in them.

Right now I have stock sights on both my full and compact - but I've given the front sight on each a home brewed "HD" treatment - using silver paint pen and then topping it with fluoresent orange paint over the silver to make the front blade pop - until I decide on which replacement sights to go with.

I appreciate the input. I've tried a lot of different sights; the orange, red, or yellow ramp with the white outline rear (I have installed all three on various handguns I own), the "dot over bar" concept, several variations of the luminous front sights, and the "big white ball in the rear vee-notch" sights. All were major improvements in daylight. But in low / no light situations, shooting with a handheld light, the plain black factory sights work best for me. By a huge margin. I think it's 'cause my eyes were born in the forties...... For what I do, and the way I do it, I think the plain black factory sights are the best compromise for me. When I was younger I shot a modified Weaver stance with the weapon close to my face, for a fast flash sight picture. But back then I shot so much I could point shoot pretty well. Now I find that my arms aren't long enough to achieve focus on the front sight, and with bifocals I can have either a front sight or a target. But not both. And with a dominant left eye I've always shot everything -- rifle, handgun, and shotgun -- with the left eye closed, so there's no depth perception tossed into the equation. My eye doctor says I'm not a candidate for corrective surgery, so I just have to do the best I can with what I've got. But hey -- at least I have a built-in excuse for any misses I make :lol .

So far I've always held my own when TSHTF. It's been a lot of years since I was in a shoot'em up, and working investigations I probably won't be in any more, at least not on duty. And as a PD sniper, I have a wonderful piece of glass to look through that takes care of all the vision issues, from a safe distance in a concealed position. Gettin' old ain't all bad...........

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:52 pm • # 58 

My 1911 .45 officer elite has been good for me when I'm in the field on camping and fishing trips, but is a little too large for other carry purposes. I wanted a smaller pistol for pocket carry and finally decided on a Taurus TCP 738...the price, size, and weight make for a very good value (at least for me, anyway). I know many people don't believe a .380 is enough fire power for defense, but I would rather have that than not carry anything when I feel a need to carry.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:53 am • # 59 

Does anybody here carry a Seecamp? I used to carry a Seecamp .32 as a backup behind my cuff case, where I could get to it with either hand, when I worked patrol. I always figured a facefull of .32 Silvertips at contact range would get someone off of me in a last-ditch stand situation (fortunately, I never acquired any firsthand knowledge on the topic). I love the little gun, but seldom carry it except as a backup, or when I need a tiny gun. I heard years ago that Larry Seecamp had completed his .380 project, but I haven't seen one yet, much less shot one. With its great trigger and lack of levers, sights, and other protrusions, the Seecamp would seem to be a good choice for a tiny gun option. Although the .380 isn't a powerhouse, bullet design has improved over the years, and I'd rather rely on a .380 than a .22 rimfire or a .25 ACP. I could certainly see issues with it against a heavily-muscled adversary wearing heavy clothing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:14 pm • # 60 

A friend asked me what I thought he needed to defend his home.
I suggested a 9mm, a couple clips, and a box of shells. A few days later,
he sent me this picture and asked how to make it work. :lol

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply