It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Glock 17 or FN FNX-9?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:25 pm • # 1 

So I am going to pick up a new weapon and am trying to decide between these two.

http://www.glock.com/english/glock17.htm

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/commer ... ies/fnx-9/

The Glock 17 I can get locally for $499 for a NIB Gen 3

The FNX-9 Would run $720 NIB

Not looking for any other options, just wanted input on these two weapons...

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:44 pm • # 2 

NVM, the wife decided for me and got this for my Father's Day gift :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:06 pm • # 3 

Nice! Sometimes it's best when others decide for us.

Congratulations

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:26 pm • # 4 

Sweet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:51 am • # 5 

from a non-gun person: somehow i like those glocks :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:15 pm • # 6 

ThomasR wrote:
from a non-gun person: somehow i like those glocks :)

You should get one :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:56 pm • # 7 

Sasha wrote:
NVM, the wife decided for me and got this for my Father's Day gift :D

Good choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 pm • # 8 
Administrator

I was going to say Glock, but you already got it. My reason, between those two, is that the Glock has all the spare parts available from many vendors, holster options galore, and you can also do some customizing yourself with aftermarket parts.

My G26 has Ameriglo night sights, and a Ghost connector for better trigger pull. These two things were already done when I bought it slightly used. I hate the serrated trigger that comes on the G26 so I swapped it with the smooth faced one like on the G17.

Another benefit of the Glock is super easy maintenance, and repair if needed. The gun is so simple a chimp could detail strip it. I have the Glock armorers manual in PDF. If you want it, I can email it to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:57 pm • # 9 

Sure, I wouldnt mind having the pdf in addition to my paper manual. I got it NIB for just under 5...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:03 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Sasha wrote:
Sure, I wouldnt mind having the pdf in addition to my paper manual. I got it NIB for just under 5...

You got a good deal on the gun then. I sent the PDF to your hotmail that is listed in your account. The armorers manual covers way more than the owners manual.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:30 pm • # 11 

I thought it was a good deal based on what I have seen out there. It came with two 17 round mags and the usual accessories. I did pick up a Blackhawk Serpa holster as well. I plan on modding it though, you know like getting a 3.5 lb trigger for it and changing out all the springs. Then I think I will pick up a threaded barrel for it as well. BTW, I did get the pdf, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:36 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Sasha wrote:
I thought it was a good deal based on what I have seen out there. It came with two 17 round mags and the usual accessories. I did pick up a Blackhawk Serpa holster as well. I plan on modding it though, you know like getting a 3.5 lb trigger for it and changing out all the springs. Then I think I will pick up a threaded barrel for it as well. BTW, I did get the pdf, thanks!

No problem. That PDF is good to have. Get a Ghost 3.5lbs connector and you will have a good trigger pull.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:29 pm • # 13 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Sasha wrote:

No problem. That PDF is good to have. Get a Ghost 3.5lbs connector and you will have a good trigger pull.

Sweet, thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:42 am • # 14 

If you plan on carrying the weapon or using it as a nightstand gun, DO NOT reduce your pull that much.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:33 pm • # 15 
Administrator

Lots of folks carry a Glock with a 3.5 connector, it's not a big deal. Just keep your booger hook of the trigger until your ready to shoot, period.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:01 pm • # 16 

Carrying with a trigger pull that light is just asking for an AD. In a high stress situation you don't want to just be able to lightly pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:38 pm • # 17 

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:35 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Big Mike64 wrote:
Carrying with a trigger pull that light is just asking for an AD. In a high stress situation you don't want to just be able to lightly pull the trigger.

I know what your saying, and that warning should apply to the average gun owner, however, I'm not the average gun owner, and I'm sure Sasha isn't either.

Safety rules apply no matter the pull weight. Keep your finger off the bang switch until ready to fire.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:15 pm • # 19 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Big Mike64 wrote:

I know what your saying, and that warning should apply to the average gun owner, however, I'm not the average gun owner, and I'm sure Sasha isn't either.

Safety rules apply no matter the pull weight. Keep your finger off the bang switch until ready to fire.

I was trying to be not dickish in my previous reply.

Here is the deal, NDs' (I tend to speak of them as NDs' vs. ADs') happen due to user error. I happen to have weapons that have less that a 3.5lb pull as well as some weapons that have more. The bottom line is that I keep my finger out of the trigger until I am ready to fire. Unless my finger is in there, the weapon can't fire on its own. Once again, I do appriciate the thoughts of others and do not wish to discourage them from posting their thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:29 am • # 20 

Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum so I'm browsing old threads as I find the time. I know this one is old, but I felt that something needed to be stated here. I saw a post from a 'non-gun person', and I always get a bad feeling about such folks reading misinformation and mistaking it for gospel.

One poster admonished us about light triggers. He used a flawed rationale to justify his post, and I feel that it should be corrected. I think I'm qualified to call foul on this; I'm a life-long firearms enthusiast (I used to say 'gun nut', but thanks to our society allowing a bunch of reality-challenged retards to dictate political correctness to us, that term now has a sinister connotation), a working 30-year cop, a sniper, a firearms instructor, and a military combat veteran. I don't just spout some BS the latest fashionable 'gunwriter of the month' scratched out to meet a deadline for some magazine.

Firearms are serious tools. They are also huge fun. Like anything that can be inherently dangerous, they need to be used responsibly. That's just common sense. However, common sense is becoming increasingly uncommon. When I was growing up most fathers who passed firearms on to their children understood their responsibility to instill the basic rules of safe marksmanship, firearms handling, and maintenance. Any more......... not so much. Now we tend more and more to rely on "experts" to tell us what is proper. We allow lawsuit-hungry attorneys to dictate standards (read the barrel on your Ruger). We accept the babblings of media "experts" who obviously don't know a bolt from a barrel, as they lecture us on national television about the evils of whatever firearms, or class of firearms, their agenda demands that they villify.

All of this progun / antigun debate, with proponents from both sides of the issue perfectly willing to lie, or use data out of context, has left the folks in the middle, the "neutral on the issue" folks, baffled and often misinformed. It's also opened the door to a whole lot of unqualified "experts" to start charging folks money to provide "expert training". Some of this "expert training" is so outrageous, so dangerous, and so utterly stupid, that it's hard not to laugh when you listen to some of these "tactical gods" pontificate about weapons and wars. But it's being taught, and we really should try to correct the misinformed. We need to base our decisions on truth, not lies. And yet the believers who follow some of these sham "experts" are sometimes ready to fight to protect their new heroes. It would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous. I recently read the claims of one who advertises his training nationally; he'd have to be 200 years old if 1/4 of the BS he claims to have done in the military and in law enforcement was true. But he has a following of civilian "tactical experts" who trained under him and worship him. It's like a cult.....

Anyway, because of people like this there is a lot of misinformation being passed out as expert instruction. Light triggers are one of those myths. Now, I wouldn't want a "whisper trigger" on a carry gun. But a 3 1/2 lb. trigger on a Glock is not a whisper trigger, and it's no more dangerous than a 12 pound trigger. Two days ago I was on the range and one of our officers had just had a 3 1/2 pound trigger installed on his Glock .45. I tried it out; it was certainly an improvement over the original trigger, but it felt in no way too light or unsafe. Like any other firearm, proper use dictates that one keep his / her finger off the trigger until ready to fire. Not difficult. With proper training, it occurs involuntarily. Here's a true story: a part-time officer I used to know was out shopping with his family. He witnessed a robbery (the turd knocked down an old lady and grabbed her purse). The officer gave foot pursuit. He had drawn his weapon, a box-stock K-Frame revolver, and was chasing the crook through the shopping center with his finger on the trigger. He tripped, and fired his weapon. Fortunately he missed all of the innocent bystanders. Is that 12 lb. (give or take) double-action trigger unsafe? Absolutely not -- for a competent firearms handler who would have been running with his trigger finger indexed on the frame. For that officer in the scenario -- no firearm is safe; he shouldn't be carrying one. And he's not any more.......

If one is going to go forth armed (and in today's society, doing so is highly recommended), one has a responsibility to learn the proper protocols for safe handling. And part of that responsibility involves separating fact from fiction, so people can base their decisions on truths, rather than PC babble. Merely considering all of the factors from a common sense point of view would refute much of the misinformation being spread, if people would stop to do so. I'm sure Big Mike64 meant well, and I mean him no disrespect, but he's been misinformed. Hopefully, he's learned something here and will correct his thinking on the matter. He's welcome to use any trigger he likes, but so are the rest of us. Again, these decisions should be based on truths, not misinformation.

Sorry if I came off as a ranter, but firearms ownership is a big deal with me, and I hate seeing misinformation going unchallenged with so many legislators working to disarm the country.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply