It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 pm • # 21 

jkurtz7 wrote:
mmckenzie wrote:
Everyone needs a Glock 19. At least until Smith & Wesson makes an M&P mid-size 9mm...

I'll pass on the G19, I hate everything they make.

Have you tried the M&P 9mm yet? Smith, in my opinion, really outdoes the Glock in the polymer, striker fired platform with this gun. The Compact is very close to the G26 in size, but with the three backstraps, you can fit almost anyone's hands, and they're very shootable. Factory irons are very good, would be better with tritium inserts but the factory sights are very good. Factory rear sight was redeisgned a while back to have a ledge to catch on a belt/holster/hard surface to facilitate one-handed operation.

If you like tuning your gun, the Apex trigger kits are very, very nice. I have no problems with the factory trigger, other than I'm not a fan of the hinged design. I might drop in one of the Apex solid triggers into mine one of these days, but more than likely I'll leave it alone.

My wife has a Beretta Nano she is quite fond of - I wouldn't mind one if they make a longer version with a longer grip as well. The extended mag makes the grip very comfy - if they made a gun with that size grip and added an inch or inch and a half to the slide & barrel I'd love it.

If I could bring myself to spending a grand on a polymer gun, I wouldn't mind an HK P30. I can't bring myself to drop that kind of coin on a plastic pistol, when I can buy two smiths & couple hundred rounds of ammo for the same price though. It's the same reason I don't run out and buy a Hardy Zenith or Sage One - remarkable gear, but aside from lightening my wallet, they really don't do anything I can do with something that costs a lot less.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:28 pm • # 22 
Administrator

I carry an M&P 9 Shield. I've shot a full size M&P and actually like the whole M&P lineup. I'm aware of all the Apex parts, but I don't feel the need to mod the gun at this point, the trigger, while not perfect, isn't bad now after almost 500 rds.

I don't like Glock ergonomics, they are just horrible, the worst of any poly framed pistol out there. While the Glock trigger, and it's reset are now the defacto trigger standard in this country, I absolutly hate Glock triggers, and even with Ghost connectors, I find it awkward. I don't shoot to reset like so many advocate. That's moot in a gun fight anyway, I guaranty under stress most people will extend all the way, and mash the trigger.

Glocks quality has fallen off remarably over the last 5 years or so. They have cheapened an already cheap a$$ gun with MIM parts (striker and Extractor). The 9mm guns are now having some pretty serious functioning issues (late model gen3, and gen4).

No matter how much I tried with any of the 3 Glocks I used to own, I could never get over how clunky and unnatural they felt in the hand, or get used to that nasty squirt gun trigger.

I could go on and on about what I think of Glock, and not much of it is good, so I'll stop right there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:07 pm • # 23 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I carry an M&P 9 Shield. I've shot a full size M&P and actually like the whole M&P lineup. I'm aware of all the Apex parts, but I don't feel the need to mod the gun at this point, the trigger, while not perfect, isn't bad now after almost 500 rds.

I don't like Glock ergonomics, they are just horrible, the worst of any poly framed pistol out there. While the Glock trigger, and it's reset are now the defacto trigger standard in this country, I absolutly hate Glock triggers, and even with Ghost connectors, I find it awkward. I don't shoot to reset like so many advocate. That's moot in a gun fight anyway, I guaranty under stress most people will extend all the way, and mash the trigger.

Glocks quality has fallen off remarably over the last 5 years or so. They have cheapened an already cheap a$$ gun with MIM parts (striker and Extractor). The 9mm guns are now having some pretty serious functioning issues (late model gen3, and gen4).

No matter how much I tried with any of the 3 Glocks I used to own, I could never get over how clunky and unnatural they felt in the hand, or get used to that nasty squirt gun trigger.

I could go on and on about what I think of Glock, and not much of it is good, so I'll stop right there.

But the only other way I could get a Semi Auto 10mm was to buy a 1200 dollar Kimber. I had the Kimber in my hands, it was heavier and the trigger was nice and crisp...yea, right, about 8lbs crisp. I guess Kimber triggers are sliding backwards and the gun holds 2/3rds the ammo. Besides, I hate the cocked and lock feature on 1911 frame guns. I hate any safety on a side arm. This is why I always liked DA revolvers, just pull the trigger.

I got into several debates on how unsafe Glocks were because they had no safety other than in the trigger. Well, guess what, there is no safety on a DA revolver either....just pull the trigger and it goes off. Yes, they are blocky as a 2x3. They sure are a comfort in the woods here in Idaho. I was once surrounded by a pack of wolves. No gun was needed and I was able to retreat. I had a 6 shot revolver on my hip. I was totally unnerved with it too. 15 shots in the glock, 10mm even a clunky one, makes me more warm and fuzzy inside, at least as warm and fuzzy as one can be wandering around fishing brookie ponds in grizzly/wolf country.

But Glocks are an gun that have their followers....and haters.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:57 pm • # 24 

Yes exactly, people like and hate different things. I used to be in the not liking Glock crowd. Mostly because when I was younger, I did not like the grip. Now that I am older, I decided to go try one again and ended up getting the G17 last year. I'm still by far a 1911 guy but I like my Glock too for different reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:30 pm • # 25 
Administrator

Dave, I'll take a good revolver over a Glock any day of the week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:51 pm • # 26 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
Was gonna get a Glock 22 until I seen a Springfield EMP40. That was how I celebrated new year eves. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:37 pm • # 27 

wait a minute they make good revolvers? How big is the wheel on a 17 shot .45?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:15 pm • # 28 

jkurtz7 wrote:
mmckenzie wrote:
Everyone needs a Glock 19. At least until Smith & Wesson makes an M&P mid-size 9mm...

I'll pass on the G19, I hate everything they make.
One "hate" comment per thread is is sufficient. You don't like Glock, you don't like TFO…we get it. ::)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:13 pm • # 29 

I need to strongly disagree with that hate Glock bashing !! I've owned a model 30 since 1997 my carry weapon ..the finest shooting handgun out of the box I've ever seen ... I've put after market LW SS barrels on it in .45 ACP and .400 Corbon a CTC laser with over size model 21 mags ....that convoluted stuff, you don't like it so therefore it's inferior don't cut it ......

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:58 pm • # 30 

DCG wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

But the only other way I could get a Semi Auto 10mm was to buy a 1200 dollar Kimber. I had the Kimber in my hands, it was heavier and the trigger was nice and crisp...yea, right, about 8lbs crisp. I guess Kimber triggers are sliding backwards and the gun holds 2/3rds the ammo. Besides, I hate the cocked and lock feature on 1911 frame guns. I hate any safety on a side arm. This is why I always liked DA revolvers, just pull the trigger.

I got into several debates on how unsafe Glocks were because they had no safety other than in the trigger. Well, guess what, there is no safety on a DA revolver either....just pull the trigger and it goes off. Yes, they are blocky as a 2x3. They sure are a comfort in the woods here in Idaho. I was once surrounded by a pack of wolves. No gun was needed and I was able to retreat. I had a 6 shot revolver on my hip. I was totally unnerved with it too. 15 shots in the glock, 10mm even a clunky one, makes me more warm and fuzzy inside, at least as warm and fuzzy as one can be wandering around fishing brookie ponds in grizzly/wolf country.

But Glocks are an gun that have their followers....and haters.

There are a few other semi 10's to be had - the EAA/Tanfolio Witness is available in steel or polymer framed 10mm. Smith & Wesson 1006 (but it's a single stack). Colt Delta Elite (same price as a Kimber though, but the few I've laid hands on, had a trigger ~4lbs and crisp as a granny smith apple)

Of if you really wanna go big - Century, I believe, was importing an MP5 clone in 10mm Auto. Not exactly a pistol, but 30 rounds of 10mm on tap is nothing to sneeze at.

I've also read of guys converting Sig P220's to 10mm, tho that's super spendy project.

The Glock 20 is the most readily accessible and easiest to find mags/parts for, for sure.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply