It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:38 am • # 21 

Tailingloop wrote:
>>>> Here's something to think about <<<< """ The same thing could happen one day with FOOD """".........Don in SC

Unfortunately, for roughly 850 million people, it already has.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:54 am • # 22 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Tailingloop wrote:
>>>> Here's something to think about <<<< """ The same thing could happen one day with FOOD """".........Don in SC

brent

I like your thoughts and perceptions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:30 am • # 23 
Administrator

blufloyd wrote:
I bought a pcp benjamin marauder. Plenty of 22 pellets around and it kicks butt.

I've been shooting my airguns more than I do my firearms since 2008. Pellets, BB's, and Co2 are still very plentiful. I haven't even shot a 50 rd box of .22 this year, I just don't want to expend what I have on hand since I can't replace it.

I have gone through about 1000 rds of 9mm though this year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:34 am • # 24 
Administrator

wheezeburnt wrote:
Tailingloop wrote:

brent

Poverty is growing in the US. The number of people on food stamps is at an all time high.
The price of food is up too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:47 am • # 25 

jkurtz7 wrote:
...Poverty is growing in the US. The number of people on food stamps is at an all time high.

Indeed. I understand almost 50 million Americans fit into the international definition of 'hungry'.

I found this apolitical analysis illuminating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMhvYeQPOcE

(I say apolitical because the trends have continued uninterrupted through several regime changes.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:08 pm • # 26 

wheezeburnt wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:
...Poverty is growing in the US. The number of people on food stamps is at an all time high.

Indeed. I understand almost 50 million Americans fit into the international definition of 'hungry'.

I found this apolitical analysis illuminating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMhvYeQPOcE

(I say apolitical because the trends have continued uninterrupted through several regime changes.)

I think the much of the country probably agree with that video. I sure do. I might add a hypothesis that the possession of ammo likely follows the same curve as that of money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:21 pm • # 27 

Well, that's an interesting point, DCG. And it got me wondering about something else, somewhat related. Granted, I live in Canada, but perhaps I can extrapolate:
I live in a rural area in a rural province. I own a handful of firearms, as do many of my friends and neighbours. We most of us hunt and handle our own nuisance wildlife/pest control issues. But I would have to say, on average, we likely own four or five long arms: a rimfire or two, a shotgun or two (perhaps a grouse gun and a duck gun), and a centerfire or two, usually using the same one for deer, bear and moose. (Some neighbours have an old Lee Enfield .303 used for 'night hunting', something they don't mind leaving behind should they need to leave the area in a hurry ;) )
Building on that, I would say most folks have somewhere between 25 and 50 rounds of .22lr and perhaps a box of subsonics or shorts for pest control, a couple boxes (or partial boxes) of shotgun shells left over from last year, and one and a half boxes of centerfire for each rifle, max. Granted, since there are no shortages of ammunition and little talk of armed insurrection here, no one stockpiles, I don't think. And I will also admit that home and personal security are not at issue.
But I'm inclined to think that my neighbours across the border in Northern Maine would be similarly 'armed', with the possible addition of a handgun or two.

So, with all that preamble, here's my question: Is the increase in first time gun ownership and the stockpiling of ammunition a largely urban phenomenon in the US?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:07 pm • # 28 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Well, that's an interesting point, DCG. And it got me wondering about something else, somewhat related. Granted, I live in Canada, but perhaps I can extrapolate:
I live in a rural area in a rural province. I own a handful of firearms, as do many of my friends and neighbours. We most of us hunt and handle our own nuisance wildlife/pest control issues. But I would have to say, on average, we likely own four or five long arms: a rimfire or two, a shotgun or two (perhaps a grouse gun and a duck gun), and a centerfire or two, usually using the same one for deer, bear and moose. (Some neighbours have an old Lee Enfield .303 used for 'night hunting', something they don't mind leaving behind should they need to leave the area in a hurry ;) )
Building on that, I would say most folks have somewhere between 25 and 50 rounds of .22lr and perhaps a box of subsonics or shorts for pest control, a couple boxes (or partial boxes) of shotgun shells left over from last year, and one and a half boxes of centerfire for each rifle, max. Granted, since there are no shortages of ammunition and little talk of armed insurrection here, no one stockpiles, I don't think. And I will also admit that home and personal security are not at issue.
But I'm inclined to think that my neighbours across the border in Northern Maine would be similarly 'armed', with the possible addition of a handgun or two.

So, with all that preamble, here's my question: Is the increase in first time gun ownership and the stockpiling of ammunition a largely urban phenomenon in the US?

We we do tend to be somewhat reactionary. Given that, RKBA (right to keep and bear arms) is in our DNA. We really do our level best to hang onto that right tooth and nail and damned be the person or organization which tries to take them away. There are some out there who seek to disarm us.....however, there are also some who profit from both sides of the issue. Sometimes I wonder if the anti gun people are really all that interested in disarming us....were they to win their crusade, lobby money would end. Likewise, you think organizations such as the NRA would really like to get to the point that gun rights are so secure, they too loose revenue?

This has been a pet peeve of mine for freaking years. I gave up my membership to the NRA after over 20 years of dedicated membership. At the last banquette I attended, I had to ask: OK, so I vote for say Senator or Rep. so and so, because of their 'pro gun' stance. Also, taxes are paid for their basically decent lifestyle, retirement, healthcare, etc. Why is further payment needed, ie; lobby money. They should vote pro gun without lobby money. They get enough as it is. Also, I got absolutely sick of opening one of NRA's mags and see that my hard earned money I hand over, appears to fund not only politicians and lawyers, but also NRA big shots on far away exotic hunts I will never be able to afford. Not only, that, I got sick of tired of their weekly 'extortion' letters....."send money....we have a fight on our hands".

So the Pro Gun Lobby makes a killing and the Anti Gun Lobby makes a killing and fearful citizens fund the whole thing.

I think many of us are onto them!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:21 pm • # 29 
Administrator

Brent, there has been a rise in new gun owners the past year due to the anti-gun political climate from the Democrats, and far left loony toon types. When I took my concealed carry class, about half were first time gun owners, or hadn't even bought a gun yet, but planned to after the class was completed and they were issue a concealed carry permit. They ranged in age from young to old, male and female, and from urban, suburban, to rural. All of these people said the same thing, that they were afraid that the government would ban the ownership of arms, which is a constitutional violation. Some of these people never had any intention of owning a firearm, but when their right to do so was being threatened, they decided they would exercise their God given right before it was too late.

Now not all gun owners are like me, or even Dave. I started building up small ammo reserves during the Bush years, when there was no political threat to firearms ownership at all. What got me buying it up then, was the small incremental price increases every year, and I wanted to beat future price increases as best I could. At that point the average price of 9mm Luger was about $7 US for a box of 50 FMJ rounds (2006). Just a few years before that I could buy all I wanted at about $5 US a box. Now it ranges anywhere from $14-$20 US for a box of the same cheap target stuff. Earlier in the year it was selling for $50-$60 a box at some retailers. To me, ammo is worth more than money!!! Now, the small stockpile I managed to build up before Obama came to town is still sitting there, untouched. I buy 9mm as I need it currently and the stash is for emergency use only.

The average gun owner though, is more like your example of how it is for you and your friends, they may have a couple boxes, and they probably rarely shoot their guns at all.
Folks like Dave and myself, who shoot a bit are totally different. It pays to keep some quantity of ammo on hand, just so your not going to the store to buy it all the time.

Then you have the doomsday prepper types that have thousands upon thousands of rounds of ammo stocked away in preparation for the upcoming zombie apocalypse, or some other unforeseen natural disaster.

It's different for each individual. For me, I handle or carry a pistol daily, it's become an integral part of who I am.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:38 pm • # 30 

Curiouser and curiouser!
Thanks, guys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:04 pm • # 31 

So, being from Canada, and unable to carry a side arm when fishing, what do you carry when out in the woods just fishing or hiking, or is there basically nothing there that might do you harm? Do you carry pepper spray? Here in Idaho, I have been followed by wolves and bears, grizzly bears. According to many experts, even pro gun experts, I understand for most encounters, pepper spray is far more effective than a gun and often if a gun is used, it only makes the situation worse. However, I know of one archery hunter right here in Idaho who used pepper spray to keep a grizzly away from him, three times the bear approached him and each time the spray drive it off.....then he was out of spray and the bear got him. HE lived through it. My wife and I do a lot of hiking, berry picking and of course, the fishing I do. I carry pepper spray always....and a side arm.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:47 pm • # 32 

I fish and hunt and camp and live in black bear country; generally don't give it a thought. Been fishing and camping in grizzly country a few times, gave it some thought, but didn't carry anything in the line of defence. Mostly just try to make a lot of noise. We have moose and (allegedly) cougars and wolf-coyote crosses and lynx and bobcat and such, but nobody I know gives them much thought.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:26 am • # 33 

Yes it is very suspicious and you guys know where I fall on the whole 2A thing... With that said was it wrong of me to sell one of my bricks to one of my employees for double what I paid for it ;)

In all fairness he did make the offer and I accepted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:38 am • # 34 

Sasha wrote:
Yes it is very suspicious and you guys know where I fall on the whole 2A thing... With that said was it wrong of me to sell one of my bricks to one of my employees for double what I paid for it ;)

In all fairness he did make the offer and I accepted.

A co worker was looking for some 22 ammo. I have an unopened 550 pack of Federal that I dont care to shoot. He said he would pay me well for them. I thought about it but then again, he has river front property in an area that is hard to get access to. He lets me hunt and fish there. You think I should just offer them as a gift of thx. I used to take potatoes over to land owners in Nebraska thanking them for allowing me to hunt on their place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:33 am • # 35 

Dave, I'd say he's already 'paid you well' for them. I think your instincts are right. What a nice gift of thanks.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:51 pm • # 36 

Dave , Goodwill and Gratitude, you can't go wrong.
Chuck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:48 pm • # 37 

Yea Dave, that is pretty badass for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:17 pm • # 38 

Was in Walmart down here in south Florida 1/6-2014 shelves loaded with
CCI mini mags and other brands of ammo ...buy all you want ...

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply