It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Remington R51
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 pm • # 1 

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/remingt ... show-2014/

Remington has tweaked and strengthened their old school model 51 (which was .32 and .380) and released a big brother 9x19mm. Looks pretty sweet. Thinking about picking one up to try out, and if the wife likes it, it can become her primary carry gun.

I really like the styling.

Street price should be less than $350 street price, MSRP is $389.

Post subject: Re: Remington R51
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:53 am • # 2 
Administrator

I've been following this one. I hope the R51 turns out to be a good gun, because I would like to have one. One of the best things going for it is that it's not a **** Glock, nor is it plastic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:12 pm • # 3 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I've been following this one. I hope the R51 turns out to be a good gun, because I would like to have one. One of the best things going for it is that it's not a **** Glock, nor is it plastic.

Well, I think that's enough. Have fun with ULFF, without me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:16 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Cowpokey wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

Well, I think that's enough. Have fun with ULFF, without me.

Bye then.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:15 pm • # 5 

Wow, I didn't see that coming. I have one of the originals in .380, a wonderful gun. ( I believe it was made about 1917 ) It disassembles unlike any other automatic I have ever seen. Comes apart without tools but is a little tricky to get back together. I used to have one in .32 ACP (not as many were made) I sold it to a collector some years ago. I wonder if the new one comes apart similar to the old one. The only downsides I see with the new one, it is bigger and looks like some parts could catch on clothing pulling it out of a pocket etc.......The original is very slim with all smooth rounded corners. On the + side, the new model is chambered in 9X19mm which has a little more power than the .380 ACP. I would like to see one of the new ones up close...........Don in SC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:39 pm • # 6 
Administrator

The original 51 is a pretty cool gun. We will have to wait to see how the R51 pans out. If it turns out to be a reliable design, and QC is maintained (something many gun companies don't seem to care about much these days) then I'll probably get one, because it's different than the boring polymer standard that has been thrust upon us.

I don't think the R51 was intended to be a pocket gun. As you said Don, it's a bit large for that. I think the intent was more of a sub-compact IWB/OWB gun, like the M&P Shield. I can carry my Shield in cargo pants pockets, but it's hard to get out of the pocket quickly, and it makes the pocket bulge a bit. The pocket carry role is best left to J-frames, and Ruger LCP sized guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:58 pm • # 7 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
Nothing like a Smith 642 in your front pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:26 pm • # 8 

Phish wrote:
Nothing like a Smith 642 in your front pocket.

...or are you just happy to see me? ;)
(sorry. No self control whatsoever].
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:35 am • # 9 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
LMFAO!! :applause :hat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:08 pm • # 10 

Here is a New Video on the R51.

http://youtu.be/NgmCxuW3rgY ............Don in SC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:18 pm • # 11 

I gotta check this one out. I have Remington 1911 that I shoot more than my Colt 1911. Remington seems to be producing some nice pistols. I do wish it looked more like the Model 51.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:25 pm • # 12 

So the R51 is trickling into the market - and the vids I've seen on it so far leave me disheartened. It seems that Remington rushed these guns a bit - a number of video reviewers seem to be experiencing a lot of failures to go into battery, some firing out of battery, and the slides "sticking" open with no empty mag to lock them back. Not sure if they're doing shoddy machining on the inside of the slide, the rails being poorly machined, or what. Some reviewers have had issues with the trigger - either the trigger doesn't work - or more scary - it resets after being pulled without the slide cycling (of course this is when the gun hasn't fired when it should, too).

I was hoping this was going to be a winner out of the gate - but it seems that it's going the route of all other new introduced guns - rush a Beta product to market, let the buying public be your testers, and try to engineer a solution after enough complaining or a recall initiated.

I'll be sticking with my plastic fantastics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:46 am • # 13 
Administrator

mmckenzie wrote:
So the R51 is trickling into the market - and the vids I've seen on it so far leave me disheartened. It seems that Remington rushed these guns a bit - a number of video reviewers seem to be experiencing a lot of failures to go into battery, some firing out of battery, and the slides "sticking" open with no empty mag to lock them back. Not sure if they're doing shoddy machining on the inside of the slide, the rails being poorly machined, or what. Some reviewers have had issues with the trigger - either the trigger doesn't work - or more scary - it resets after being pulled without the slide cycling (of course this is when the gun hasn't fired when it should, too).

I was hoping this was going to be a winner out of the gate - but it seems that it's going the route of all other new introduced guns - rush a Beta product to market, let the buying public be your testers, and try to engineer a solution after enough complaining or a recall initiated.

I'll be sticking with my plastic fantastics.

Yep, the R51 is a steaming pile of crap. I knew it was too much to ask for something that actually works right out of the box these days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:35 pm • # 14 

I have a chance to shoot an R-51 today.............."save your money"...The example I fired would not reliably feed FMJ round nose ammo. A lot of "smoke-stack" jams with some failure to feed // (remove magazine rack the slide and shake to clear). Remington has really gone down-hill in the last few years, even the model 700's are not near the guns they used to be. Remington bought out Marlin too.........the newest Marlins on the shelf a real "junk".........what a shame.............Don in SC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:40 pm • # 15 

Update on the Remington R-51. In response to numerous function issues Remington has halted production of the R-51. The pistol is being redesigned to insure that it is reliable and production will resume this fall sometime. Customers that already have an R-51 may keep it or return it for one of the later versions when they start coming off the production line. It is sad that Remington has released the pistol with design and or quality control issues. I think I remember reading somewhere that "STONER" was the lead engineer on this model...........That would lead me to believe it was more of a production-line or quality control problem. At least they are trying to make it right..........Remington is just not turning out the quality firearms they were noted for, for so many years......Don in SC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:36 am • # 16 

Don

I believe you are right about Remington's decline in quality-quite sad as they have been a firearms icon for so many years.

I just sold a 20 gauge 870 and still have a 7MM-08 model 7 that I like very much. I believe their quality issues have been brewing for a while now--although I really like my model 7 the finish is subpar and Remington would not remedy the issue. I have other guns that are as good if not better quality than Remington that cost less. I would still look to buy a good used Remington but not likely a newer gun from them.

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply