It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Any Trap shooters?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:43 pm • # 1 

Recently started shooting trap weekly due to the warm weather. We play games on Wednesday nights like Bushwacker, Peace Protection, and Killer. I could go more in-depth if you guys don't know the games. Also summer league started in March but me and my uncle (shooting partner) missed it because we were on vacation. Today was the first shoot and boy did we do bad! Good thing they have a handicap system. We just have to warm up and get in the groove. I'm shooting a Winchester Model 12 with a Simmons rib. Does anyone else partake in the sport (or skeet/sporting clays) and what do you shoot?

Post subject: Re: Any Trap shooters?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:01 pm • # 2 

I shoot skeet every week. My club has five skeet fields and two trap fields. One trap and one skeet field under lights. We shoot on Tuesday, Thursday nights, Saturday and Sunday. I am also a key holder so I often also shoot on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday if the weather is better then. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:39 pm • # 3 

Joe C wrote:
I shoot skeet every week. My club has five skeet fields and two trap fields. One trap and one skeet field under lights. We shoot on Tuesday, Thursday nights, Saturday and Sunday. I am also a key holder so I often also shoot on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday if the weather is better then. :)

Very cool! We also have lights and when the weather is right, the group of guys will stay out till midnight or so. Most of the guys are retired but then there's me, the youngest kid there lol! It's not bad, small town and everyone is friendly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:51 pm • # 4 

I know this thread is a little old, but I am just getting into trap. I joined a club a year and half ago and I'm hoping to shoot my first clays tomorrow. I am going lightweight with a 20 gauge. I hope I hit at least one. I am going to try shooting left handed. I am left eyed and I think because it has been so long since I've tried shotgun I might do better left handed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:28 pm • # 5 

bluegillfisher wrote:
I know this thread is a little old, but I am just getting into trap. I joined a club a year and half ago and I'm hoping to shoot my first clays tomorrow. I am going lightweight with a 20 gauge. I hope I hit at least one. I am going to try shooting left handed. I am left eyed and I think because it has been so long since I've tried shotgun I might do better left handed.

Cool! I hope the gun isn't too light. I know that a light 20 gauge will kick your butt. Also the lighter guns are very whippy and not smooth for crossing clays. I shot a model 12 for a while and my shoulder would hurt after 75 targets. Once I got my Browning O/U (12 GA) I could shoot all day because the weight really takes out a lot of the recoil. Remember, DON'T LOOK AT THE BEAD (SIGHT)! Good luck. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:20 am • # 6 

The gun is a Remington 1100 with a 28" barrel. I didn't want to buy a gun that I couldn't hunt with and the 1100 is a 3" magnum with a scope I can use for squirrel hunting. If I like trap, I will get another gun. I thought a over/under would be to heavy. I have a lot to learn about trap.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:12 am • # 7 

You'll be fine with a 20 for fun shooting. If you decide to pursue trap shooting on a more competitive basis you're going to want a 12, with a 34" barrel. If it's a fixed choke gun, modified or full will be your best bet and ideally you'll find a gun with choke tubes. A BT99 is a great gun that will always hold it's value and will shoot 1000's of rounds without a hiccup. I coach my kids trap team and we all shoot BT's.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply