It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Gave up on the Glock
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:04 am • # 1 

Sold my last Glock 19 today. Glocks are fine, reliable pistols. But they have shortcomings for me that I decided I didn't want to compromise on anymore. I'm a big M&P fan, and so I've replaced my Glock 19 with the Smith & Wesson M&P .45 compact - it's the same size as the Glock 19 but more ergonomic and easier to use. I can reach and use all the controls without breaking a firing grip, and unlike my M&P 9 Compact, I get 3 fingers on the grip of the 45C - instead of having 1/3 of the grip length come from a magazine floor plate. I'm still holing out hope Smith will make a gun on this frame size in a 9mm, but till then I'll be happy with the .45. This gun will wind up becoming my new daily carry gun as soon as I get some more kydex and get some holsters made, and get the gun out and shoot it to break it in.

Post subject: Re: Gave up on the Glock
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:45 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I gave up on Glocks too, for multiple reasons. I have moved on to a S&W M&P Shield, but I'm not entirely happy with it either. I've kept it just because it has superior ergonomics, it's small, and quite thin, therefore very easy and comfortable to conceal. I'm also way more accurate with it than with any Glock due to the good ergonomics.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:46 pm • # 3 

That is why there is so many kinds of guns.....wines, beers, whiskeys, cars, fishing rods, foods, etc. I am new to glock. I sure like the two I own. From the looks of it, tons of people like them. Kinda glad not everyone likes them or they would be a lot more expensive.

In truth, there is not one item that I like to 100%, be it a gun, fly rod or whatever. It always boils down to a compromising choice of what you like about it outweighs what you don't like about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:27 am • # 4 

I've been a Glock guy for years - the first firearm I ever purchased was a Glock 22. In the time hence, I've owned 5 Glock 17's, 5 glock 19's, 4 Glock 21's, a Glock 20, two Glock 22's, and a Glock 26. I've been on the quest for the "perfect" carry gun for me for years and kept coming back to Glocks because I shoot them decently, I like the trigger.I'm one of the weirdos that thinks the Glock has a decent trigger - nothing like a 1911 trigger or good single-action only trigger, but the Glock trigger has a good positive reset, and a decently short take up. I have trained myself to shoot from trigger reset - not letting it off completely every time and restaging the trigger from shot to shot.

The downsides for me have come from every other control. The stock flat slide stop is useless to me - I find them annoying to operate to lock open the slide, and almost impossible to use to drop the slide. The standard magazine release button is likewise difficult to operate. So after I learned my lessons early on - I replaced the slide stop and mag button on my guns and made them more functional. But there's two other things that simply can't be as easily gotten over - the stupid nubbins of the slide lock (take down tabs) - I haaaaaate the Glock take down tabs. I also am not terribly fond of the weird back strap shape on some of the Glocks - just because I found them to fatigue my hand during extended shooting sessions.

I purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm shortly after they hit the market and I loved that gun, had to sell it though during a period of financial tightness. Couple years back I switched up again - picked up another 9mm full size, and shortly after that a 9mm "Compact". The ergonomics are far superior to the Glocks for me because of the less severe (almost non-existent) back strap hump plus the swappable back straps. I like the take down lever on the Smith - it's just like Sigs, Beretta, Springfield's XD etc. Easy peasy. The M&P stock trigger isn't quite as good as a Glock trigger, but it's very useable.

I gave my father in law my 9mm FS last year because he really liked it, and he's been very good to my wife and I. He gave me a Glock 20 in return, which I wound up selling to fund my last Glock - a G19. But I kept wishing for an M&P instead - what I really was wishing for was an M&P the size of the Glock 19, in the 9x19mm caliber. Smith bills their M&P9 Compact as the "Glock 19 killer" - but it's not. It's much closer to the Glock 26 in size and purpose. It's shorter than the 19, about the same slide/barrel size as a G26. The grip is truncated - holds 12 rounds vs the G26's 10, and the G19's 15. The flush fit mag base plates give you a G26 type grip, requiring you to curl your pinky under the gun. The finger extension basepad gives you a Glock 19 grip length up front - but still lacks the back strap and full grip. I wanted an M&P the same size as the Glock 19 - not the 26. Smith makes only one gun that fits that bill - the 45 Compact. You get the 4 inch barrel the likes of a G19, with very similar slide length. The overall form factor is almost identical to the G19. The only "downside" is that it's an 8+1 .45acp - not a 15+1 9mm. Not a horrible downside.

I prefer my primary carry gun to have a grip that doesn't use a pinky extension as 1/3 of the grip length. I prefer a gun that I can reach the controls on without drastically altering my grip. I prefer a gun that is easily manipulated with either hand, one handed. I prefer my carry guns be point & click operable - without doodads or bobbles to switch off to make the gun ready to fire and then after I've shot it, to make it safe to holster.

In the quest to find a gun that fits those requirements I've had Sigs, CZ's, Walthers, Smiths, XD's, 1911's, Hi Powers, Glocks, Bersas, Kahrs, Rugers (metal and polymer framed) and some others I'm forgetting at this moment. So far the only other gun that I've found that has the ergos and features I want besides the M&P line up, are HK's latest toys, and the Sig DAK trigger guns. No matter how good they are though, I won't pay $900 for a plastic framed handgun - and I bought my last Sig when it was on sale for "only" $650.00. Same gun now carries a price tag of almost a grand. The extra $400 over the cost of the Smith will buy a decent pile of ammo to go with it.

I might buy another Glock some day as a range toy - I kept a pair of 17 round 9mm mags this time - but I don't see going back to it for my PDW unless Glock actually innovates and makes a more ergonomic gun. The other things turning me off to new ones - the $600 price tag the 4th gen guns are wearing, and the decline in Glock's QC in the last few years, likely due to cost cutting measures in manufacturing techniques. My last Gen 3 purchase was $475, I've purchased new Gen 3's in the past for $425 and used guns as low as $350.

Glocks are not bad guns at all - but I don't think they're for me anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:22 pm • # 5 

I have never cared for Glocks..........I have fired several, but never wanted to owned one. I am more of a SIG and 1911 guy....Don in SC

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply