It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Penn 716 ultralight reel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:07 pm • # 1 

Hey guys, I purchased this in 1976 when I was 14 or 15 years old. It was a combo with a Shakespeare 5 foot glass ultralight rod...Before the ugly stick... I'm not such about that, because I purchased the next size up Penn 700 series reel and light freshwater ugly stick before I purchase the Penn 716 ultralight reel! Both of these Penn reels have been fished hard and cared for and still work as they should to this day! My son uses the 716 regularly and the others one is doing nothing in the attics. I no longer use spinning equipment, but enjoyed it for well over 30 some years. I will get the other one down from the attic and take pictures of it, not sure if it is a 714 or 712?

Enjoy and Be Safe!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:29 pm • # 2 

At one time those penn reels were indestructible, high quality, like the ones you have.
I don't know when they flipped, but I purchased one more than ten years ago, maybe
more than twenty years ago and the bearing were ruined after the reel got wet; that was
fresh water too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 am • # 3 

The 716 is a great reel, near indestructible gearing and drag. One of the toughest reels I ever owned was a Penn SS4200 ultralight, all graphite construction. Very lightweight for it's day, the drag could handle a 10 pound striper (and did).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:49 am • # 4 

Awesome reel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:25 pm • # 5 

nice vintage thanks for sharing! i have the 716 z and moved on to the Penn ss series 420 and 430 ss stands for skirted spool from what i found out when you buy a Penn you must buy into the stock on bail springs much like all the reels of that time frame ..the 308's the Cardinal 3's they was the best on the market at that time

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply