It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Braid problem
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:16 pm • # 1 

Because braid is so slick, I find that after casting very light jigs and lures for a while that I can’t get a good hook set, since it will just spin on the spool. I can often pull out many feet of line by hand before the braid finally grips enough to engage even a very lightly set drag.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Braid problem
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:43 pm • # 2 

Gave up ob braid and ul rods - too many tangles, its not twistproof as advertized - just more headache than it was worth. I prefer flouro or mono for almost all gear uses at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:52 pm • # 3 

True. I often end up with the braid wrapped and looped around the rod tip for various reasons. Still I like it because it transmits every touch and the small diameter helps with casting distance, especially with things like 1/64th oz Trout Magnets.

What I can’t determine is if the entire length of braid is spinning around the spool or is it just the outer layers tightening up. I’m guessing the former. Think I’ll take it all off and put down a base layer of electrical tape on the spool for grip and then reload the line.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:34 am • # 4 

The tape can get messy in hot weather. I leave a few feet of monofilament on the spool as a base; in my experience the entire line spins on the spool otherwise. It's also important to get the braided line tight on the spool, and leave just a little bit more lip showing on the spool when you fill it than you would with monofilament. I found that, especially with the smaller spools on UL reels, you need to drag the empty line behind the boat (or downstream in the current) occasionally to comb out the twists. Nowhere near as often as with monofilament, but it still needs to be done occasionally.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 pm • # 5 

Thanks hipshot. A small base of mono makes sense.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply