It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 1 of 4   [ 78 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:53 pm • # 1 

I decided to start a new thread on this subject, as the title of the previous thread was somewhat ambiguous and somebody might pass it by, not noticing it concerns another outing.

I am trying to organize an outing of people from this forum and the fiberglass forum to meet in the Hill Country. We have a group from the glass board that gets together at least once, sometimes twice, per year to go fishing together. I had a great time at the Georgetown outing and would like to combine the two groups this next time.

I have proposed four potential sites for the gathering, and they are as follows. I will try to give some reasons for each choice.

Mason city park - My glass group met there over two years ago. All of the tent campers are located together in one area. There are quite a few RV sites for those who wish to bring one. Good facilities are available and the camp hosts are remarkably hospitable and accomodating. Several good access points to the Llano are close by; it is about 40 minutes from South Llano River State Park, and about 40 minutes from the San Saba. Also about an hour and half from the Nueces, Frio, and Sabinal Rivers.

South Llano River State Park - Located on the South Llano and within 20 miles or so of several other crossings of the Llano. About 40 minutes from the San Saba. About an hour to an hour and a half from the Nueces, Frio, or Sabinal Rivers. Has plenty of campsites, but campers may be somewhat scattered.

Garner State Park - Located on the Frio River. Supposedly one of the most popular parks in Texas, so likely to be crowded. From many of the pictures I have seen of the park it is a very popular river for tubers and other watercraft, downright crowded at times. Does offer some screened shelters that will accomodate up to eight people, thus negating the need to bring a tent. The Frio lies closely between the Nueces and Sabinal Rivers.

Lost Maples State Natural Area - another popular park area. Located on the Sabinal River. Close by the Frio and Nueces.

What I would like at this time is to find out who is definitely interested in attending. Which weekend would be your preference. Which site would be your preference. Being interested, of course, is not a commitment.

I know this outing is still a long way off, but I would like to get the planning out of the way in plenty of time.

Larry

P.S. - I had to re-edit this post to fit in a couple of people that couldn't meet on those originally specified dates. I finally decided to just go ahead and set a date as there were too many variables to deal with in choosing from three dates and four sites.

THE DATE SET FOR THIS OUTING IS MAY 18-20, 2018.

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:58 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:15 am • # 2 
Administrator

I'll check on these dates with home general.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 pm • # 3 

Sounds like an interesting idea for a spring meet. Garner State Park tends to get nutty on the weekends, so many people!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:18 pm • # 4 

Yeah, I picked May for the meeting because I figured with schools still in session there wouldn't be as many people out on vacation. But from every thing I found on Garner, it appeared to be extremely popular. Also in many of the pictures, there were so many people floating the river through the park it would be just a little difficult to fish there. Even spring weekends will likely be very crowded.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:33 pm • # 5 

Hoping I can attend; definitely interested.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:58 pm • # 6 

No choice Jim; you have to be there to get a picture of my first Rio.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:42 pm • # 7 

Well then; I guess that's settled.........

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:28 pm • # 8 
Administrator

I still need to hear from family on when my niece is graduating- always a big thing and production in May or June- so I'm still up in the air.

however I think mason is the best choice for a central location.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:30 am • # 9 

So far on the glass board we have five votes for setting up in Mason, and Aaron is voting for South Llano River State Park. I know we have had others express an interest in coming to this shindig, so speak up. I do realize this is several months away, but expressing an interest does not mean you are committed to anything.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm • # 10 

It's been years since I was at Garner (went in the summer for a surprise party in the park and swore I'd never go back after all the crowds and noise), but I found it beautiful and saw abundant wildlife. The river was awesome. No idea if it's changed since then, but the park was a cellular dead zone. No calls or texts except from the very tip top of the mountain. For me that was a "pro". For most, a definite "con".

I'm good with any of the locations listed. I trust Aaron's judgement; he has a propensity for finding great fishing spots. I also defer to the experience in the area of Larry's buds in the fabuglass forums; they have already been to Mason and their preference is founded in experience.

For those of us coming in RVs that require 50 amp hookups, Lost Maples and South Llano River offer 30 amp hookups only. I'm sure there are parks with 50 amp hookups nearby, but I'd kinda like to be spillin' tekillya with the rest of the group where I don't need to drive at night through herds of kamikaze hill country deer afterwards to get to my warm bed........ But, if we base in a 30 amp park and I spill too much tekillya, well, it wouldn't be the first time I woke up drunk in a dumpster ;-).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:42 pm • # 11 

Mason offers both 30 and 50 amp hookups, so you wouldn't have to sleep it off in a dumpster, but you could if you wanted to. :lol To each his own.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:13 pm • # 12 

barring major problems, count me in

Lee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 pm • # 13 

Well, looks like you found us Lee. Glad to hear it.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:54 am • # 14 

Is that RALPH LEE?! Good to "see" you, buddy!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:14 am • # 15 

Yeah, thought I better call Ralph and let him know about this outing.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 am • # 16 

took me awhile, but here i am.

Lee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:22 pm • # 17 
Administrator

all
although I love attending these and unfortunately missed the last one- I'm unable to come on this one. My niece is graduating high school and the date is May 18th. I would love to come down another date and wet a line on the San Gabriel or Brushy Creek.

I left a message with Wabash1967 to see if he can gather up a fly fisher or two and join you.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:41 pm • # 18 

Hey Les, a few of us are planning on coming in several days early as that is a long distance to go for just a couple of days fishing. Maybe you could come down earlier in the week, and be back home on Friday.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:27 pm • # 19 

Hipshot had mentioned he needs 50 amp electrical service for his RV, and I suspect Rainmaker does also. My buddy Kurt and I will be bringing his pop-up camper. I spoke to Brenda Mueller, one of the camp hosts at the Mason city park. They offer 8 level pull through sites and have 24 RV sites overall, offering both 30 amp and 50 amp service. She and her husband Corky hosted our glass group about 2 1/2 years ago, and were very accomodating to our needs. She said they could block out an area for people bringing tents, and if we make reservations early enough, they could see to it the RV's would be located next to the tent camping area. They run a very clean park, offer showers and laundry facilities, and even invited us over for breakfast one morning. I strongly recommend this park, what does everybody else think?

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:39 pm • # 20 

I'm good with it; it and Garner have 50 amp hookups. My bud Jay may join us; his RV requires a 50 amp hookup also. Larry; I'm thinking about arriving Tuesday and leaving Monday. Work for you? I'll bring my macro lens for the hero shot with your first Rio........8-))

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 1 of 4   [ 78 posts ] New Topic Add Reply