It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: UL Bait Cast BFS
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:20 pm • # 1 

Hay there . I have UL fly fished , Tenkara , and UL Spinning fished .Now I am going to try UL bait casting . Any one use it . It is a little different than BFS . I will be looking to use 1/8 oz and under . Good fishing to all.

Post subject: Re: UL Bait Cast BFS
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:17 pm • # 2 

RIngFly wrote:
Hay there . I have UL fly fished , Tenkara , and UL Spinning fished .Now I am going to try UL bait casting . Any one use it . It is a little different than BFS . I will be looking to use 1/8 oz and under . Good fishing to all.

Good luck with that! I know there are some baitcasters out there that can do it, but I'm not so sure that they are the best tool for casting 1/8 ounce and under...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:48 am • # 3 

RIngFly, I know what gear you have and I know that it will do it. Just takes practice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:33 am • # 4 

Thanks Chris . I hope to get the Trout One and Scorpion BFS out in the march Monday and Tuesday . In a month or so I hope too get after yellow perch with it . Than the wight perch start spawning. The setup will see a lot of time after brookies in NY and Vt. I am not trying to do things that my spinning can't do, I am trying something all new to me . The fun and challenge of a all new ,to me , system is what I need at this point of my life . Keeps the hart pumping and the will to get up going . Good fishing to all .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:16 am • # 5 

I've spent some time fishing a bait caster on ultra light spinning rods for bass. I would use ultra light spinning rods with a bait cast reel. Sometimes, I would remove the line level guide and lay the line (level) manually. I would use a normal size reel. Soft swim plastics worked best for me. I would buy 1/4 oz jigs, to get the hook size I wanted, and cut the head down to less than 1/8oz, leaving just a bit of the jig head. Then I would bury the jig head into the soft swim bait.

I've tried miniature plugs, like small zara spooks, but could never get a hook set with an ultra light rod with a plug.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:47 pm • # 6 

JimRed wrote:
… remove the line level guide and lay the line (level) manually.

Can you throw some more words at that part, I'm not getting any sort of mental picture at all … ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:19 pm • # 7 

nunc wrote:
JimRed wrote:

Can you throw some more words at that part, I'm not getting any sort of mental picture at all … ?

I think he's saying that he removed the level wind; that frees up the reel a bit for casting lightweight lures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:32 pm • # 8 

I bought a light rig from Chris Stewart; I got an Aldebaran with a matching rod. My trip to the coast got scrubbed; I planned to use it on the trout in Rockport. I have used it in a friend's pond and had a ball with bass up to three pounds. I tried braid on it but didn't care for it; right now I am using it with 6# fluorocarbon. Once I confirm that I can get reliable hooksets in deep water I will try 4# fluorocarbon; that's probably as light as I can get away with in an oyster-rich environment.

I absolutely love the rig! Although I do very little fresh water fishing, I will be using it to prospect for the white bass during their spawning run. Once I find a concentration though, the light fly rods will be put to use. In my friend's pond I was using it to cast a double Clouser rig (tied on #2 SC15s with large lead eyes) and some 1/32 and 1/16 ounce baby cranks. It worked just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:29 pm • # 9 

I have a Trout One NS I got from Chris and a Scorpion BFS I got from Japan . I fished the combo in the march yesterday , it worked OK , I think the rod will be better suited for trout fishing , that is what it was built for . I will use it for white , and yellow perch and crappie etc. down here in Md. I am new at casting equipment , so it is a big learning curve for me . I was using 6# Sufix 832 , and 4 #FG leader. I am looking forward to using it Mt. trout fishing next year . I have a longer Major Craft rod coming that I think will be better suited to march fishing from my Gheenoe . I will see . good fishing to all !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:35 pm • # 10 

hipshot wrote:
… removed the level wind …

Thanks for that, now it makes perfect sense … to someone old enough to remember when level wind was an Option when you bought a casting reel ! ( d ∙ u ∙ h … )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:04 pm • # 11 

nunc wrote:
JimRed wrote:

Remove the level wind from the bait casting reel. Then on the retrieve use the off hand's thumb and index finger to hold tension on the line and move the off hand's thumb and index finger across the spool, mimicking the action of a level wind. The other 3 fingers on the offhand are holding the rod.

This might sound complicated, but it comes easy. If you need me to, I can take some pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:07 pm • # 12 

hipshot wrote:
nunc wrote:
JimRed wrote:

I think he's saying that he removed the level wind; that frees up the reel a bit for casting lightweight lures.

Didn't see your response. That's it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:11 pm • # 13 

nunc wrote:
hipshot wrote:
… removed the level wind …

Thanks for that, now it makes perfect sense … to someone old enough to remember when level wind was an Option when you bought a casting reel ! ( d ∙ u ∙ h … )

Yes, I understand that at one time tournament casters would dispense of the level wind, like hipshot said it frees up the reel, decreasing friction so that theoretically one can cast further.

My initial motivation for adopting this technique was to save money by not needing to repair the level wind.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply