It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Winter gills
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:18 pm • # 1 

Weather today was overcast , low 50’s, with occasional drizzle .
My brother and I visited the WMA gun range first thing when we arrived this morning , but soon gave up on trying to keep our guns dry from the mist blowing in on us .
So we decided to wet a line if the heavy stuff stayed away . And it did . We got in a couple of hours before lunch time .
We most threw beetlspins , and roadrunners and got skunked .
I was fishing my 5’6” St Croix Triumph UL paired with a 2000 Series Daiwa reel spooled with two pound P-Line .
I had been fishing with a tiny safetypin type lure using a Gold Trout Magnet Head with a Bison body .
I was about to give up and go find some fried chicken , when I remembered I’d wanted to try casting the Trout Magnet by itself . Rigging up my first cast surprised me , about 20-25 yards . I let the jig fall for a count of 10 and slowly lifted the jig and started to wind . When the slack got out of the line , I felt a tap . I pulled back , but nothing . It felt good to at least get a nibble .
My next cast , right back in the same area and I left it drop trying to keep the slack out . As I started to wind , I felt another tap, swept my rod to the right and hooked up with the gill below . Made my day . I continued to fish the area for another ten minutes or so and caught two more , just a little smaller than the first .
Wished I’d figured out what to do before it was time to go . I’ll be ready next trip .
Fishing from shore in the winter and be a hit or miss thing , just like the weather .
Merry Christmas and a Happy New. Year to all my UL friends ! Gillchaser

Post subject: Re: Winter gills
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:56 pm • # 2 

Nice winter bluegill. The magic of the Trout Magnet. When all else fails, they often produce. Hardest part is finding where the gills are in winter and/or being able to cast a TM far enough to reach them.

Is the St. Croix their 4 piece backpacker model? That’s a rod I often use with 2# test on streams.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:28 pm • # 3 

Knotty wrote:
Nice winter bluegill. The magic of the Trout Magnet. When all else fails, they often produce. Hardest part is finding where the gills are in winter and/or being able to cast a TM far enough to reach them.

Is the St. Croix their 4 piece backpacker model? That’s a rod I often use with 2# test on streams.

It was just blind luck today . They just happened to be where I stopped to switch baits and try to cast the Trout Magnet
This rod is the two piece model . I have three of the 4 piece travel rods . They stay in the truck . My first SC Travel has probably caught more fish than all of my other rods combined .
This two piece feels totally different than the travel rod. Although it’s listed as a fast action , it’s not what I would call fast .
It’s a great small stream rod to protect 2# line . Gillchaser

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:10 am • # 4 

Nice fish!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:41 am • # 5 

Nice. Hard to beat those trout magnets......once you locate the fish.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply