It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: "Penny" test
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:40 pm • # 1 

On Tenkarabum.com, Chris talks about doing the penny test - clamp a rod down, and count the # of pennies it takes to deflect the rod tip by 1/3 the length of the rod. Not very scientific, yet good info none the less? In the spirit of research, here's a couple of comps:
TFO 6' Spin/Fly rod (Joe Robinson special) 29 pennies
St. Croix Avid 6' #3 Spin/Fly rod (custom) 23 pennies
TFO 5' #1 Finesse Fly Rod blank (custom) 17 pennies

Tight lines!

Post subject: Re: "Penny" test
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 pm • # 2 

Called the 'common cents' approach, and I think its applicability might be mostly for fly rods. Its been used to determine the 'real' line weight rating of a rod by measuring the deflection by a known mass (# of pennies).
Gotta say, I've used it with considerable success to determine the proper line weight for rods I built. Also, it was useful for showing me that certain of my commercial rods were under- or over-rated for line weight, and subsequent use of the appropriate line weight yielded improvements.
I expect the more expert here need not rely upon it, but it is interesting, if not useful.
check it out:
http://www.common-cents.info/CCS_basic_Layout_1.pdf
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:12 pm • # 3 

It is actually applicable to any type of rod, not just fly rods. It can determine intrensic power as well as action of any given blank or rod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:31 am • # 4 

Ah. Thanks for clarifying that!
brent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:20 pm • # 5 

The TFO 6' Spin/Fly was created in response to Joe Robinson's affection for the Sage and St. Croix blanks we used to build UL spinning rods. The TFO was not a bad attempt, IMHO. Tight lines!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:42 pm • # 6 

Just did a penny measurement for the Daiwa Iprimi 56XXUL-S, which I think is the softest rod I stock. It measured 16 pennies.

One thing to keep in mind is that the measurement will not tell you anything about how fast or slow the rod is, and two very different rods can have the same penny measurement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:00 pm • # 7 

Chris Stewart wrote:
Just did a penny measurement for the Daiwa Iprimi 56XXUL-S, which I think is the softest rod I stock. It measured 16 pennies.

One thing to keep in mind is that the measurement will not tell you anything about how fast or slow the rod is, and two very different rods can have the same penny measurement.

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate your info.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:03 pm • # 8 

Chris Stewart wrote:

Just cut the string holding the penny bag and see how fast the rod springs back! :lol

If only it were that simple.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:08 pm • # 9 

Chris Stewart wrote:

In order to determine how (relatively) fast or slow the action of a rod is by using the Common Cents System, one also has to use the same system to determine the Action Angle. That said, I personally have been more concerned with the ERN to balance a fly rod properly with the line.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:48 pm • # 10 

A couple of those are in the 1wt flyrod range, probably would cast a 2wt line awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:16 am • # 11 

PampasPete wrote:
Chris Stewart wrote:

In order to determine how (relatively) fast or slow the action of a rod is by using the Common Cents System, one also has to use the same system to determine the Action Angle.

I started doing the penny measurements with tenkara rods. I stopped doing the Action Angle when it became clear that all the rods were over 80 degrees and some were so close to 90 that you couldn't eyeball any difference. Most people think tenkara rods are slow. Au contraire!

Didn't even think to do it with the spinning rod.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:07 pm • # 12 

Don't confuse action angle with power. on a long rod such as a Tenkara, it could be fast at the tip and light power causing it to flex throughout the lower 2/3rd of the rod

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply