It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: What is UL spinning?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:45 pm • # 1 

I can't find a definition of what is considered UL in spinning on this forum. With fly rods it 3wt and under, so what is the definition for spinning?

Post subject: Re: What is UL spinning?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:55 pm • # 2 

wabi wrote:
I can't find a definition of what is considered UL in spinning on this forum. With fly rods it 3wt and under, so what is the definition for spinning?

Man, that is the "million dollar" question, and subject to much debate. So, I'm going to quote Tom McNally's definition from his book "Ultralight Spinning, Tricks, and Tackle" - ...true Ultralight gear should consist of a rod weighing between 1.5 and 2.5 ounces, matched to a reel weighing between 6 and 7 ounces, using line testing 3 pounds or less, for casting lures weighing 1/32 to 1/8 ounce."
Of course there will be many variations of this definition, but they all might follow the same gist? Tight lines!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:33 pm • # 3 

Ultralight spinning is using my 7', 3-wt fly rod with an ultralight spinning reel. ;) Hey, it works! Actually I use it for jigging for crappie next to the bridge pilings, but it could also be used for bream fishing and probably trout fishing. I'll call it an ultralight spin/fly rod & reel. :lol Hey, as long as it catches fish...................

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:59 pm • # 4 

Whatever or who’s ever definition gets used I can tell you one thing. If it gets defined as anything less than 4# test it will be difficult to keep this sub forum alive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 am • # 5 

It is not my forum (and I have never run a forum, so I will defer to those with actual experience) but I kind of hope it is never defined here so specifically that that posts talking about certain rods, lines, lures, etc are not welcome. Ultralight is also probably relative to what you are fishing for. Ultralight line for panfish could be 2 lb line. Ultralight line for bass will be stronger (although I have done a fair amount of smallie fishing in open water with 2 lb line I generally used 4 lb). Ultralight for muskies would be stronger yet, but someone posting about using 10 lb braid on his ultralight rod might get a response saying welcome to the forum but most people here use much lighter line than that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am • # 6 

In Md. Eastern shore I use 6# braid with 2 or 4# FC leader . In NY ponds and lakes and bigger rivers I use the same . With this I use rods from soft trout rods to stiffer spinning and BFS rods . For brook trout fishing in my small Mt. streams I use 2-4# nano fiber and braid with 6X -- 8X FC leader or 1.5 -- 4# JDM mono , FC. , and polymer .,I use UL , XXUL JDM spinning rods . I will be trying ULBFS and XXULBFS rods this year .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm • # 7 

I think ultralight spinning is so light you think you might break off? Haha.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 pm • # 8 

Thanks for the replies.
Looks like I'm safe to post about fish caught with my outfit - Fenwick 5½' UL rod/Pflueger reel/6# braid main line. :lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:29 pm • # 9 

wabi wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
Looks like I'm safe to post about fish caught with my outfit - Fenwick 5½' UL rod/Pflueger reel/6# braid main line. :lol

Yes! Let's see them!

Here's mine. Yellow thing I bought on closeout for $5. (Actually got another for $7...haha)
Caught a bunch of fish on it!
https://cargocultfishing.blogspot.com/2 ... -lure.html
https://cargocultfishing.blogspot.com/2 ... ching.html
My daughter got in the paper using it in March.
Caught some stocker browns with it. I discovered the dark side. Can be fun. I want to make lures but that is going to be much more involved than tying flies!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:16 pm • # 10 

fastyacht wrote:

I don't like to leave hooks in fish, but yes, that is a reasonable way to look at it. It also explains part of the attraction. The whole "Oh, s**t, am I going to be able to land this one?" definitely increases the excitement and makes it unnecessary to travel to Texas to fish for 10 lb bass or Patagonia for 10 lb trout. With the right gear, a very modest fish from the town park can get your heart pumping.

That's also why I tend to fish XUL or XXUL spinning rods, with 2 or 3# line rather than braid. To each his own though. Too many forums and facebook pages descend into ugly spats when people argue over definitions. In the end it's just fishing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:12 pm • # 11 

fastyacht wrote:

Agreed. To me UL means the target fish can't just be horsed in. You have to play it to some degree. Not every fish but at least the larger ones you'll be encountering.

Also, main line is somewhat irrelevant. The weak link is the leader and it will determine if a break off is at risk.

I think it's fair to expect some coming from the mainstream fishing world will think it's UL using 8# line for 2-5# bass. Even if we disagree, let's agree to be nice about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:45 am • # 12 

Knotty wrote:
Also, main line is somewhat irrelevant. The weak link is the leader and it will determine if a break off is at risk.

For me it is often the other way around. If I fish a 2 or 2.5# main line I'll add a 6X (3.5#) or 5X (4.7#) tippet. The thin main line casts better and the thicker tippet provides more abrasion resistance. Rocks in a stream and bass teeth in a pond abrade really light line pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 pm • # 13 

how bout a 12 foot fenwick noodle rod and a diawa 500c boasting 120 yards of 2lb test? It was once my steelhead setup on the N. California Mad river. Biggest fish landed was 12lbs. Yes, I was spooled, more than once.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 pm • # 14 

Chris Stewart wrote:
Knotty wrote:

For me it is often the other way around. If I fish a 2 or 2.5# main line I'll add a 6X (3.5#) or 5X (4.7#) tippet. The thin main line casts better and the thicker tippet provides more abrasion resistance. Rocks in a stream and bass teeth in a pond abrade really light line pretty quickly.

Interesting. So you’re essentially using a bite leader. Will give it a try.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:00 pm • # 15 
Administrator

I’m not going to bother defining what UL spinning is for this forum. Unlike fly tackle, spinning and casting rods are actually marked as to what the power of the rod is. If the rod is labeled as UL then it is. I’m just not going to bother with nitpicking about what UL spinning and casting really is. I have my own idea, and others have their ideas, to each their own.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:41 pm • # 16 

An ultralight rig for trout in a small stream or bream in a little pond would obviously be different from an ultralight rig for sailfish, or bull reds, or stripers in a flowing river or the surf. It's all relevant to the application. I have caught sails on a 7' fiberglass medium action rod with an Ambassadeur 5000 loaded with 8# monofilament. I'd feel safe calling that UL. But that same rig on a bass lake would definitely not be considered UL, and I never considered it UL when I used it for bluefish, cudas, jacks, specks, mackerel, schoolie tarpon, and other inshore fish.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:53 pm • # 17 

My concept of UL fishing, whether it is fly-fishing or spinning, is fishing with tackle that is so light that the majority of fish hooked (usually smaller than we would care to admit) are still a lot of fun. Then, when an exceptionally bigger one is hooked, hang on!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:30 pm • # 18 

PampasPete wrote:
My concept of UL fishing, whether it is fly-fishing or spinning, is fishing with tackle that is so light that the majority of fish hooked (usually smaller than we would care to admit) are still a lot of fun. Then, when an exceptionally bigger one is hooked, hang on!

You betcha!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:53 am • # 19 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I’m not going to bother defining what UL spinning is for this forum. Unlike fly tackle, spinning and casting rods are actually marked as to what the power of the rod is. If the rod is labeled as UL then it is. I’m just not going to bother with nitpicking about what UL spinning and casting really is. I have my own idea, and others have their ideas, to each their own.

Thank you for your answer. I am having to fish more with conventional tackle and less with the favorite fly rods as my aging body gets even older. :lol An hour or two of fly casting usually gets the pain level to a point where I say, "I've had all the fun I can stand for today!" (I have had several injuries to my spine over the years)

On the other hand I can go to the local lake, sit in a folding lawn chair, cast a small jig or bait out with the spinning rod and catch the same bluegill, crappie, and green sunfish I enjoy on the fly, and stay relatively pain free. :)

On the days when I'm thinking of a fish dinner I'll take the baitcasters and go for a couple nice channel cats, but that will have to be discussed on other forums. :lol

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply