It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 am • # 1 

I have used a spinning reel with my fly rod when the wind makes a 3wt line impractical or my fly catches more trees than fish. It works well enough but thinking an underspin or trigger spin reel would be better suited.

I have read reviews where most think these reels are for kids or lack quality.
I think they would be perfect for fly rod use, similar to automatic fly reels with the lever. With a regular spinning reel, I have to use both hands to prepare the cast since my hand is ahead of the reel versus gripping the reel like in regular spin rod configuration.

Anyone have thoughts about the best trigger spin reel to get? It seems the kid/beginner mentality regarding these reels has caused companies to not put much investment into these type of reels.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:26 pm • # 2 

Back in the 1980's when Zebco first came out with their trigger spin reel I bought one to try out. At first I thought it was just a gimmick. Daiwa, Shimano, and perhaps some others already had some reels with triggers, but you still had to pick up the line with your index finger. Zebco put a little ceramic pickup pin on the bail so that as you pulled up on the trigger the pin caught the line. The advantage was that on the reels where your finger tip held the line, it was difficult to release line the same way every time, but it was always consistent with the Zebco. However the Zebco was pretty unbalanced. They improved it later with a long trigger, but I tended to catch one of my fingers under the trigger which wasn't too comfortable. The new Shimanos: the Syncopate and the Spirex both advertise one hand casting and are available to handle lines as light as 2 lb. The Spirex appears to be a nicer reel, but is more expensive. I haven't used a spinning reel in many years, but Shimano has a good reputation.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:30 am • # 3 

Sorry, I meant to say the trigger spin cast reels.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 am • # 4 

To be sure we're talking about the same type reel - do you mean this? -

I have tried a couple brands. Shakespeare & Abu Garcia.
Neither is top quality, but both are good enough for having some fun.
The idea is good, but the reel design also means the problems of a
regular spincast reel are included. Bad line twist is the one that bothered
me most. :lol
They will not cast light lures as well as a regular spinning reel, so don't
expect to get good casting distance with very light lures!

I'd say get one & try it. If you're not happy you haven't wasted too much cash,
and if it does what you want just buy a bulk spool of whatever line you like
to use and be prepared change line frequently. :eek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:40 am • # 5 

I'm with wabi on this. I've never used a spin cast reel of any type that I didn't have significant problems with line twist, or the line getting hung up inside the reel. I got rather tired of having to stop and take the reel apart to free up the line or even to cut some of the line away to free things ups. Rarely ever had any problems with a spinning reel in this regard. If the Shimano reels have the same type of pickup pin that the old Zebco had, then they are a true one hand casting reel and you don't have to flip the bail with the other hand. I know a lot of the underslung spin cast reels are sold, so I guess somebody likes them.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:49 pm • # 6 

A couple summers ago, I went on a quest to find the best under spincast reel, three of my top picks, the first and best IMHO is the current Zebco "Gold Series" Micro 33, 3 bearings, 4.3 gear ratio, two ceramic pickups, decent drag, and some sort of instant anti reverse. 20$ BOOM.
The second two are the vintage Zebco UL4 Classic Feather Touch and the Daiwa UL40. They all three will do the job very well, I got extra casting distance with 2lb Trout thread, these were not made for kids!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:06 pm • # 7 

If you don’t mind vintage reels, back in the 1950’s and 60’s, 70’s, Shakespeare made a series of reels that had the same foot as a fly rod narrower than the reel foot on a fly reel.

From my 55 year old use, having a spool diameter about 3x that of the little Zebco’s, line twist is effectively stopped. And to the fact of a reel with a small outlet, the large diameter, you don’t really need to use the drag - you just let a fish pull against the drag. If successfully landed multiple large white bass and a couple two digit catfish, carp and 20+ striped bass that wanted a weighted nymph, or maybe wanted the brim (bluegill that probably wanted the nymph.)

Problem:

- reel is about 3x the weight of the little Zebco, primarily as. The reel is all metal construction.

- the line pick-up pin is chrome plated steel, no rotor involved, and 2-4lb line wears a groove in the pin, so replacing the pins is a requirement as needed.

As the reels are heavier that an all plastic-bodied reel, they’ll add weight to you tackle.

These reels are as mentioned, equipped with spools 3x the diameter of the little spincasts, so their on the bulky side.

Shakespeare marketed them as SpinWonder reels, made the reels for some others, I’ve seen them labeled with South Bend markings and some others.

I favor the 1756 model. Stay away from the 1810 model, it’s got a level-wind and became famous as a steelhead and salmon reel being used with Dock Swan’s Noodle Rods. They are also much heavier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:42 pm • # 8 

I have always had a passion for ultra-light fishing, enjoyed fishing UL when I was a child and wanted to pass down the neat experience and fun to my grandchildren without a lot of frustration and easy to use…. With all the IT toys out today, they get bored easily …. So they have to be catching fish or they lose interest….they were coming to visit and wanted to take them pan fishing and the local lake….So recently, I purchased and a Zebco 33 spin-cast Micro Gold series with 4 ball bearings ($26.00) , Spooled it up with 4 lb Spider wire Flouro line, matched it with a Bass Pro Shop UL 5’6” Crappie rod….and all I can say is Wow! It is very, very smooth, light, easy to use and casts 1/32oz jigs like a dream, (grand kids don’t like to mess with worms, they like walking around casting lures, spinners and such)…I fished this set up it several times , doesn’t hang up like the old $12.00 K-mart micro Zebco models..…Grand kids had a ball got numerous bluegills and crappie that gave them a fighting thrill, didn’t hang up at all… Zebco has come a long way and made significant improvements.. This is a great method to introduce young folks into this exceptional outdoor sport we love, keep the heritage alive and instill fond family memories...( I have no affiliation with Zebco, just my own personal opinion)

Tight lines

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply