It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:45 pm • # 1 

Hey guys,
Looking into an UL spinning reel to debail, burn the arm needs to be small enough so that I can grab the line with one hand as opposed to two. The arms on most rods are too long, which makes it hard to grab the line from the reel without using two hands. From the research I’ve done, it seems like the vintage Daiwa 500c is the most capable due to it’s short arm. Does anyone know of any other UL reels that have this short arm feature? I know that the Shimano has a version with a compact body, but it’s not available in the 500 configuration which is a bummer.

Anyone know of any UL reels with a small arm/compact body in size 500?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:04 am • # 2 

Can of worms right there, LOL If you want to stay with vintage "all metal" body reels, the Shimano MLZ10, MLX10, X10, Shakespeare 2200 025 Sigma Series (CK series only made in 1982 highly sought after) but the non CK reels are the same. I have cut the bail off the vintage 2200 and this is one of my goto reels, line easily managed on and off roller with one hand. The daiwa 700c is just a hair bigger than the 500, Gold Mini spin (same as 700 size) Getting newer, the Daiwa UL7 is graphite with metal side cover on one side, Shakespeare 2200GX 025 (Graphhite) Silstar 25 size. The Daiwa 500c is still one of my favorites. Most of these older reels can be upgraded with real bearings on both sides of main gear/handle instead of bushings!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:56 pm • # 3 

All of my bail-less reels (Orvis 50A, Alcedo Micron, and Shakespeare 2200) can be operated with one hand. For less than $25 or so the 2200 (not the 2200 II or the skirted models) is by far my favorite. About 7 ounces or so, solid metal, and EZ to work on. Tight lines!

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply