It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 am • # 1 

My granddaughters (7 and 10) are arriving from the other side of the country today, and we have a tradition of going fishing a couple of times when they’re here. Perch, chubs, sunfish, the occasional juvenile bass. We used to fish under the covered bridge up the road, but the pool there is gone due to some extreme weather leading to significant streambed alterations. My alternative plan was to hike them down to the pool across the road where my son and daughter learned to love to fish, but this year the pool has held mostly 12 to 20” smallmouth (hey I’m not complaining) that seemed to have driven most of the smaller prey species away.

I hadn’t fished it for about a week, and we had heavy rain last week that would have allowed the larger fish to make their way downstream to more consistently deeper water for the duration of our short summer, so I dropped down for an hour to check on things. Knowing the kids would be worm fishing, I figured I’d better duplicate that technique to see if they would have any luck. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol I have a short, light spinning rod and thought I’d give it a go. I had minimal luck with the old bobber and worm technique: caught a few chub in the moving water at the head of the pool, but nothing down in the pool. So I switched to a Hildebrandt inline spinner and worm, and on most casts, I couldn’t even get the thing to sink any distance in preparation for a retrieve before it got hit. I only had five worms with me, and managed probably 20 fish: chub, perch, sunfish, smallmouth bass. I had forgotten how hilariously effective spinner\worm can be, and lets be honest here, just how much FUN it is. Anyway, the fish are back, the girls get here soon, and I think we’re gonna have a great time.
I"ll let you know how it goes....
brent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 am • # 2 

I wish I had a dollar for every fish caught on a worm.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:36 pm • # 3 

Lefty Kreh had a tradition that at least once every year he would mix up a batch of his favorite carp bait and head for the river. He felt like he had to get back to his roots occasionally.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:36 pm • # 4 

Spinner + worm? Do you just put a piece of worm on the treble?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:25 pm • # 5 

Knotty: I put a snap swivel on the line, then a small inline Hildebrandt spinner (basically a shaft with a spoon that spins around it), with a single bait hook on the end clip of the spinner.

Huge success, by the way. The girls were WAY more adept at bobber and bait hook fishing than I am. Never actually resorted to the spinners. I basically ran back and forth between them for a couple of hours baiting hooks, releasing fish, untangling the odd problem. They did great casting the closed face spincast reels, and got the hang of setting the hook when the bobber bobbed. Thank goodness we ran out of worms or we'd still be there.
Brent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:52 am • # 6 

Just looked up the Hildebrandt spinner. Got it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:23 pm • # 7 

Dig me some live bait, THERE !! I SAID IT !!! GUILTY AS CHARGED !!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:56 am • # 8 

Jed Zeppelin wrote:
Dig me some live bait, THERE !! I SAID IT !!! GUILTY AS CHARGED !!!!

:lol :lol :applause

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply