It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:34 pm • # 1 

I played around with BFS (bait finesse system, UL baitcasting) using an inexpensive Tsurinoya XF-50 as a trial, and fell in love. http://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=12103

The XF-50 is an amazing reel for the money but doesn't handle 1/16 oz (1.8 grams) very well. Upping my game would require my tight fists to let go of some cash and buy a true BFS reel. Did a lot of research and it looked like the Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG was king of the hill. Ordered one up from Chris Stewart (aka Tenkarabum) and it was in my hands just a couple days later.

Now, why Shimano would name their lightest baitcaster after the orange giant star that's the fiery red eye of the constellation Taurus is beyond me. I also own a Shimano NASCI spinning reel and don't have a clue where that name comes from.

My goal for the Aldebaran is to use it to fish everything from bluegills to bass to trout, like I would on UL spin. So why drop over 4 bills on BFS when spin already does the job for much less? I guess it comes down to preference. The XF-50 showed me that I just plain get more joy out of working with a baitcaster than spinning. Thumbing the spool, no line twist, etc., all contribute to an experience I far prefer.

With spin, I go back and forth between braid + leader and just mono. The first cast further and has better sensitivity but life is easier with the latter. For the Aldebaran I decided to go for max performance and filled its shallow spool with 6# braid and a 6# copolymer leader. It gave me the sensitivity I was looking for but the braid to leader knot promoted birds nests when it caught on guides (anyone have a solution?). Not all the time but enough to make me rethink the approach. Eventually just ditched the leader and fished straight braid. Probably won't work on trout but the warm water species don't seem to mind.

I've been using the reel on a Kuying Teton 1.98m (TTC662L) medium fast trout rod and have had no trouble with 1/16 oz lures. Of course I'm still new to baitcasters and get birds nests daily but have been able to undo all of them since spooling the braid (to my surprise).

A few of my catches thus far.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:03 pm • # 2 

Nice catch with the UL bait casting outfit. I use to tie braid to mono when bait casting and don't recall issues (possibly just don't remember) and I would have used a double clinch knot and the braid would have been the very, very thin "Spider Wire". Also I recall adding a touch of epoxy to the knot, a necessary thing because otherwise the knot would not always hold; maybe the epoxy helps slipping through the guides?.

Also I might mention when my level winds worn out I removed them from the reels and manually retrieved (placed) the line on the reel. This gives some extra casting distance and for me adds enjoyment to the casting/retrieving experience. After a few minuets of fishing like this, the retrieve and doing the part of the level wind becomes sub-conscious.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:38 am • # 3 

Knotty,

That sounds like an interesting way to fish, but I personally have no intention of doing that (too many irons in the fire already), so you can disregard what follows if you so desire.

Many of us have had a similar problem with the nail knot at the end of a fly line. My solution has been to use a tying bobbin with fine thread to wrap over the nail knot, then further smooth it out with epoxy, super glue gel, or even head cement. I’ve also gone to putting a drop of epoxy, or more recently, super glue gel on some of my leader knots.

For your situation, a good solution may be to tie a mono leader to the braided line with a double surgeon’s knot, cut the tag ends close to the knot, and put a drop of super glue gel on the knot. That might smooth your knots up enough to go through the guides easily.

But wait, what am I doing, telling Knotty about knots?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:07 pm • # 4 

Thanks guys. Adding glue or UV epoxy to the knot may help. When you’re throwing such lightweight lures on a baitcaster even a little catching on the guides is enough to upset things.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:51 am • # 5 

Nice looking set up you have there.....is it more accurate than tossing a spinning rig? I know my casts are all over the place unless im fly fishing or using bait caster.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:29 am • # 6 

joe the plumber wrote:
Nice looking set up you have there.....is it more accurate than tossing a spinning rig? I know my casts are all over the place unless im fly fishing or using bait caster.

Yes, mostly due to the ability to stop the spool with your thumb. Provides accurate range. Doesn’t change anything with respect to being centered on your target. In that aspect I’m equally poor with either system. :lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:51 pm • # 7 

May have found a solution to the leader-braid connection. Though a bit difficult to tie, the FG knot is super slim. Basically a Chinese finger trap of braid over the end of the leader. Since the leader material isn't doubled over at all, you just can't get any slimmer. Can tie it OK on terra firma but need to find a method for doing it in the kayak.

Thus far it hasn't caused a nest.

https://youtu.be/pjzUb5QRKuk

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply