It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Custom Build
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:59 pm • # 1 

I read the Extreme Ultralight Article in the June/July 2005 In Fisherman magazine when this first came out. This began my search for pushing the envelope of UL fishing. I went to Tenkara and Fly Fishing. Along the way I bought the blank used in that article, 7'6" 2WT St. Croix 2 piece avid series, purchased from the Rodmakers Shop, which is currently out of business. I had intended to build this into a UL rod myself. Only thing is, I did not want to screw it up.

After years of this blank sitting in the corner and me only using Tenkara and Fly Fishing, I finally got around to getting this rod built. I contacted Jared Taylor of JTaylor Custom Rods to see about building this rod for me. After a couple of months I finally took delivery of the final product. I am truly taken back from the quality work he did on this. It is simple yet elegant.

While I have yet to really test this rod, I am able to cast 1/32 ounce jigs about 50' with a cheaper spinning reel and old worn out braid. I have my work cut out to be able to cast the 1/100 ounce like Bill says he is able to cast in the article.

I am currently awaiting an order of some spoons and other gear to try out on this rod. I will try to keep every posted how this turns out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Boo6CHAH4ot ... hare_sheet

Mike Prybis

Post subject: Re: Custom Build
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:37 pm • # 2 

It looks like you’ve got a good thing going there. It would be nice to see photos that show more detail. For example, with the Alconite guides, if you have a Tennessee handle or equivalent, you probably don’t just have a UL spinning rod, but a UL combo spin/fly rod. I have used Fuji single-foot guides on similar rods, but not quite so light, with good results. Could you show more photos?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:19 pm • # 3 

PampasPete wrote:
It looks like you’ve got a good thing going there. It would be nice to see photos that show more detail. For example, with the Alconite guides, if you have a Tennessee handle or equivalent, you probably don’t just have a UL spinning rod, but a UL combo spin/fly rod. I have used Fuji single-foot guides on similar rods, but not quite so light, with good results. Could you show more photos?

It has a split grip.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo5RGqin74t ... hare_sheet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:14 am • # 4 

Very nice ! It looks like the epitome in tech advances. I 1st started fishing UL spinning in 1972 after reading a book on the subject with a 1pc. 4'9" Fenwick, and 2lb test w/a 308, or a Daiwa 700C. I literally wore through the chrome plating on the guide closest to the reel, to the point where it was shredding the line and I had to send the rod back to Fenwick for guide replacements. The only downside being all those years of using an all cork handle w/ Tennessee style sliding rings and I have grown accustomed to my the lightness and warmth of all cork. Unfortunately the Tennessee handle is the only style I can comfortably use now. Which limits my rods to vintage or custom made only. I'll try to upload a photo of them.

Last edited by Camco on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:09 pm • # 5 

That rod is a real beauty. Should be great with trout magnets (1/72 oz.).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:11 pm • # 6 

Knotty wrote:
That rod is a real beauty. Should be great with trout magnets (1/72 oz.).

I have some 1/200 oz trout magnets that I use on flyrods .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:34 pm • # 7 

I bought some spoons from finesse-fishing. The smallest i bought was the .8 gram vega spoon. Iwas able to cast this in the wind about 30-40'. Had fun trying these out in the ponds. Even caught a few gills. I also cast 1/40 oz jig with 1.5" plastic grub. Will have to get some smaller stuff to try out.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply