It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:57 am • # 1 

As soon as the weather permits, I'm going to fish the San Marcos and Lower Guadalupe (near Seguin) Rivers for some sunfish with my 2 wt. I'd really like to catch some rios and was wondering if anyone can provide tips to catch a few.

I tied some #10 rio-getters from pictures, a bunch of small Briminators and have a whole slew of my own flies to try. I understand they'll likely be on the bottom in slow or still water and like a gravel bottom.

My only other time on the San Marcos I didn't get a sniff from one. :)

Harry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:38 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Harry,
those are good rivers for these cichlids, but I have had my best luck below the city park in Georgetown on the San Gabriel.
Any weighted fly such as a Briminator or Rio getter should work well. The key to catching them is to bounce or creep your fly along the bottom. Rios being curios fish will chase prey along the river floor, but rarely will the chase something suspended. Having said that, I like to see the take occur on descent as the fly flutters and spins.
Here's a brief story on fishing the San Gabriel
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=9632&hilit=rios

Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:52 pm • # 3 

Thanks Les, great report and a lovely looking river. I'm quickly falling in love with Texas rivers and sunfish on the fly and wish we had more of the same back home.

Also thanks for the tips about fishing the bottom....should be helpful. I'm going to try the local rivers first but if unsuccessful may have to head up to fish in Georgetown before I return to the great white north. :)

Harry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:56 pm • # 4 

Black AP Emergers #12 seem to trigger many strikes on Rio's for me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:49 am • # 5 

When I was there before I moved to VA, I fished all three forks of the San Gabriel with Arron there in Georgetown. Rio getters, And Briminators were most often used. I my initial batch of Rio Getters were tied with the brass barbell eyes. I think I lost them all on the first outing. Switched to bead chain and a few wraps of lead wire, and the results were much better.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply