It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Micro Fishing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:48 pm • # 1 

A few weeks ago there was an NPR story on micro fishing. Highly enjoyable to listen to. Then the other day my youtube feed had a guy from the Philadelphia area micro fishing to great effect. When I heard the story on NPR I felt a kindred spirit. Because this year has been the year of sunfish and dace for us. Trout no longer inhabit the northeast as far as I am concerned. (I don't believe the videos, I can't catch any so they must not be there;-)

It seems to me that ultralight flyfishing and micro fishing are a perfect match...

So I really am quite fascinated with trying to actually catch stream dace and creek chubs instead of accidentally hooking a fallfish.

Post subject: Re: Micro Fishing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:27 pm • # 2 

I catch Micro dinks all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:35 pm • # 3 

The Tenkara type rods have a special class for very ultra light micro fishing.
Apparently this is very popular in Japan and they compete for the smallest fish caught.

Special very small hooks, strike indicators and other supplies are used that we do not have readily available in the US.

If interested, search for "Tenkarabum" a retail mail order source in NYC that has quite a selection for micro fishing.
Chris Stewart will take care of your special interests in that area.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:33 am • # 4 

If memory serves me right, the ultimate in micro fishing is to catch a fish that would fit entirely on the face of a dime! Obviously most are much bigger. Sounds silly but supposedly it's very adicting.

Like FK wrote, check out Chris Stewart's site.

https://www.tenkarabum.com/micro-fishing.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:46 am • # 5 

There's a creek by work that is too shallow to support anything over 10" max with large shallow areas holding mostly minnows. I like to put on a size 20-30 fly and test my "tight-light-line" skills. Caught two yesterday in 10 min. Which species? Ya got me - it had a black dot on the tail, which narrows it down to 17 species - The minnow identification lab killed me in my survey of Texas vertebrates class.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:17 am • # 6 

LOL Linecaster, Me too. Check out Micro-Fishing on facebook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:21 pm • # 7 

This concept of micro fishing captured my over-active imagination at least a year ago. Most of the reading material on it focuses mainly on bait fishing. Now, combining micro fishing with ultraight fly fishing (totally feasible) could open up many other possibilities. Once again, as we dip down into the very lightest of ultralight, the restricting factor is not so much the rods we can come up with as it is the lines.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:08 pm • # 8 

There does come a practical limitation on both ends - and on the light end of the spectrum I suspect that the 00 weight is likely it - for western style fly fishing anyway. With Tenkara you can cast what is in effect a very long leader or level flourocarbon line - but such light lines simply won't be casting 30 feet, there's just not enough line mass. It is interesting though to see how light a rod can be made - but it's more of an academic pursuit vs a practical tool at that point. It's like the other end of the spectrum - I've not cast a rod heavier than a 10 weight - and I suspect that once you get upwards of a 15+ weight rod (I think 12 was/is the AFTMA upper end?) you're dealing with rods so stiff, and lines so heavy as to make casting too much of a chore to be fun, at which point you're better off with gear, or a trawler to catch your fish. The "because I can" mentality has lead to some really neat innovations, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:56 pm • # 9 

I forgot I wrote this post! Haha, I ended up "microfishing" one day this past year (2017):

https://cargocultfishing.blogspot.com/2 ... trout.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:23 am • # 10 
Administrator

I plan on doing some microfishing this year. I’ve caught dace and creek chubs before on very small flies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:34 am • # 11 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I plan on doing some microfishing this year. I’ve caught dace and creek chubs before on very small flies.

What size rod would you be using?
Most of what I catch would be classified as micro by some :applause

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:06 am • # 12 

While most micro fishers do use bait, fly fishing for micros works very well. It seems most small species, and most smaller individuals of larger species, take flies readily. While I have caught Black Nose Dace on size 14 Stewart Black Spiders, my most successful pattern for micros has been a size 20 bead head black Killer Bugger (Daiichi 1110 or similar, black yarn body with black marabou tail, xsmall copper wire instead of trying thread). Because most micro fishing will be sight fishing in shallow water, use a gold bead so you can see your fly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:27 am • # 13 
Administrator

linecaster wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

What size rod would you be using?
Most of what I catch would be classified as micro by some :applause

I don't really know yet. I've been watching videos on YouTube about micro fishing, like Tanago fishing in Japan to micro fishing here in the states. In Japan they use fixed line rods, which Chris sells on his site, but I've seen guys on YouTube using ultralight ice rods with small reels. I'll be buying some Tanago hooks and floats from Chris for sure though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm • # 14 

Chris Stewart wrote:
While most micro fishers do use bait, fly fishing for micros works very well. It seems most small species, and most smaller individuals of larger species, take flies readily. While I have caught Black Nose Dace on size 14 Stewart Black Spiders, my most successful pattern for micros has been a size 20 bead head black Killer Bugger (Daiichi 1110 or similar, black yarn body with black marabou tail, xsmall copper wire instead of trying thread). Because most micro fishing will be sight fishing in shallow water, use a gold bead so you can see your fly.

8x tippet on there? What is the knot? I have a hard time with 8X...need some ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:55 am • # 15 

I don't remember what the tippet was. It might have been 8X but more likely 7X. The 7X is plenty small enough, especially for a size 20 fly. Micros do not seem to be that tippet shy. When I fish size 26 flies, I use 8X. The knot would have been a Double Davy knot, which is what I use almost all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:32 pm • # 16 

Chris Stewart wrote:
I don't remember what the tippet was. It might have been 8X but more likely 7X. The 7X is plenty small enough, especially for a size 20 fly. Micros do not seem to be that tippet shy. When I fish size 26 flies, I use 8X. The knot would have been a Double Davy knot, which is what I use almost all the time.

Thanks---glad I asked!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:44 pm • # 17 

Nothing wrong with creek chubs. I use a cabelas tqr 2wt 5' with tiny size 20 nymphs and it's a blast being as their such willing biters. I once even nabbed a little smallmouth about 4 in long.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 pm • # 18 

John the fisherman wrote:
Nothing wrong with creek chubs. I use a cabelas tqr 2wt 5' with tiny size 20 nymphs and it's a blast being as their such willing biters. I once even nabbed a little smallmouth about 4 in long.

Cool!
I got one of them once, too. (more than once actually:-)
Here it is-->
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4348/3684 ... d505_o.jpg

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:53 am • # 19 

Seem like I do a good bit of micro fishing even if that isn't the goal.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:23 pm • # 20 

wabi wrote:
Seem like I do a good bit of micro fishing even if that isn't the goal.

LOL, great post, thanks.

Regards,
FK

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply