It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Rules when fishing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:57 pm • # 1 

Do any of you make rules for yourselves when fishing? I do. But the rules are only for myself to ensure I, myself, get the most out of what the day has to offer. Now if I have a guest with me, the rules do not apply to them because they may have different rules for themselves.

Here are my rules:
1. No time pieces of any sort. Time is the last thing I want dictating my day. Time does not exist on the river because I am in the now.

2. No phone. Now cell phones these days have camera's, and I am all for taking a pic of a beautiful fish. And to use the camera, the phone must be on, but luckily enough, there is no signal in the places where I go. And also, phones have a clock. I get it. I just use the camera.

3. Stop and enjoy the surroundings. I like to see what God has created for us to enjoy. Stop and close your eyes and just listen to the water, because it will speak to you. Look at the surroundings where ever you are and be in awe of it all. And never forget, it's bigger than you.

4. Always pay attention to my presentations. Focus on keeping as much line off the water as I can, and changing positions if I need to to help prevent drag or over lining. Mending is also something I continuously work on.

5. This is probably the most important, because if I couldn't do this I wouldn't be fishing. Simply put, have fun. I don't need to catch fish to enjoy fishing. Don't misunderstand, I do like catching fish, but it's just being able to get out and being able to fish because I'm not getting any younger.

That's all I have. What about you?

Post subject: Re: Rules when fishing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:07 am • # 2 

Interesting topic. I admire your rules and discipline. For me personally I have very few rules but I think my fishing habits are different in that
I make quick stops at ponds to fish on my way home from work or on my way to the store.
My only rule is to crush the barbs during lent. the rest of the year I make an effort to crush the barbs too but it's not a rule.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:13 am • # 3 

No phones. Unless you're a doctor or are the only one who knows how to shut down a nuclear power plant and are on call, there is no excuse. If your phone rings while we fish together and you answer it, I'll gleefully slap it out of your hands and hope it dies a quick death.

No intoxicants. That is what taverns and campfires are for. A good beer or a snifter of Cognac are wonderful things, but I don't need to get buzzed up to enjoy time on the water. If anything, the opposite is true and I enjoy the time on the water much more when my senses are sharp.

No shop talk. If you want to complain about work while fishing, hire a shrink and get out of my ear. When I'm on the water I don't give two diddly winks about what you might think sucks in your life. I'm on the water so therefore my life is awesome. Get with the program or go to the tavern, have a beer and text with your spouse.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:37 pm • # 4 

Y'all are hardcore.

My four rules are 1. to take my time and don't feel rushed; 2. try to learn something; 3. Relax and have fun; and 4. make it back in time to pick up the kids/for dinner/to get my chores done. (See rule number one.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:15 pm • # 5 

I like all the rules so far. In fact, two of you mentioned two other rules I neglected to say, and that is I also crush my barbs ( regardless if it's Lent or not ) and no alcohol when fishing.

When I was younger I would take people out ice fishing. All they wanted to do was get away from the wife or girlfriend and have an excuse to get drunk. Ice belong in some drinks I agree, but drinks don't belong on ice, that's stupid. After awhile I laid down the law about no drinking while ice fishing or fly fishing. I don't want to be dragging any injured or dead people home. Funny thing is, no one wanted to fish with me anymore. :\ :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:07 am • # 6 

Different strokes for different folks.

Having a cell phone actually enables much of my fishing. I'm self employed and as long as I know my clients can reach me, I don't hesitate to take time to fish during the day. If an important call comes in, I get back to work. If not, I keep on fishing.

Same with a watch. My wife is very encouraging of my fishing but if I was always late for dinner, that might change. Also, I just feel naked w/o a watch. There are only two pieces of jewelry a man needs...a watch and a wedding ring.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:41 am • # 7 

Re: cell phones ... I'm often a mile or two (or more) from the nearest blacktop, but usually have cell reception, so it's something of a safety issue. Stuff (rocks, snakes, heart events) can happen. My phone also has a kick-ass camera and is submersible, so there's that, too. I even take an extra battery. All that said, I get annoyed if I forget to turn off the ringer while I'm fishing, for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:12 am • # 8 

Knotty wrote:
Different strokes for different folks. .... There are only two pieces of jewelry a man needs...a watch and a wedding ring.

Different strokes indeed. (I've been married 45 years, but stopped wearing a wedding ring in year 3 when I jumped down off a truck and caught my ring on the rim of a 45 gallon drum; dang near circumcised that finger.)

While I don't really suffer a terribly rule-bound life, for me, fly fishing is, in some small way, a rebellion against our modern, managed life. So I don't impose too many rules on it. Having said that, I don't EVER compete. I will share a celebratory drink streamside (none of my angling buddies are prone to abuse or drunkenness). I have fished with people who have taken business calls on the stream. I respect their need to make a living, and that constant availability is a big part of that today. I no longer fish with them. Not a judgement; just a personal preference.
Some of my fishing buddies (heck, my BEST buddies) are co-workers from sister depts. from when I worked (I was DNR, they were all Dept of Environment guys). We were all in it for the love of the work (certainly not the money or the recognition). So there was a LOT of whining and complaining to be done when we got on the road. But that was limited to the drive TO the water. No shop talk on the water, even if it was a 4 day canoe trip; and no harshing the post-trip buzz by shop talking on the drive home.
brent

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:39 am • # 9 

I don't have many rules

1.) no intoxicants - not a problem for me or my immediate family as none of us drink or partake in mind altering chemical substances, but occasionally I will bring a new partner along and I make it clear up front - I'm not your nanny, I don't intend to risk my life saving yours if you decide to get blitzed on the water, and I've got certain licenses that mean zero drug use, even though it's "legal" in my state (Feds still say it's not anyway)

2.) no time limits - although I sadly have to break this rule most times I go fishing now - as my typical solo fishing days are Friday (I have Friday & Saturday off) and I have to be home to get my son off the school bus, as my wife works on Fridays most weeks. So I'm pretty much limited to the 6 hours he's at school. Summer time can't come soon enough, because it's not unusual for my day long trips to last 10 hours or more.

3.) Have fun - fishing should be fun. If it's not - we have to figure out what is wrong and fix it, or just bag it for the day.

4.) Cell phones should be off or in airplane mode - I use my phone for a camera and don't usually fish where there is reception. I occasionally break this rule, but it's usually short hour or two trips to local ponds to play with the bluegills.

My wife used to get annoyed with my all day adventures, but she eventually came to accept it. She knew from our first trip together that I didn't like time limits, so I didn't spring that on her after the band went on the hand. During family time together, she actually enjoys getting out of the house for a whole day now.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:56 pm • # 10 

no rules for me as i fish alone mostly and like it that way.i am the 10 year old i was 45 years ago when i'm out.seems my phone only rings when i have a fish on.i fish in and around the chicago area so my phone goes with me.i try to safely release every fish i catch so barbless mostly.too many rules in this life as it is ,i try to block out anything but the fish and my surroundings

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:20 pm • # 11 

mmckenzie wrote:
I don't have many rules

1.) no intoxicants - not a problem for me or my immediate family as none of us drink or partake in mind altering chemical substances, but occasionally I will bring a new partner along and I make it clear up front - I'm not your nanny, I don't intend to risk my life saving yours if you decide to get blitzed on the water, and I've got certain licenses that mean zero drug use, even though it's "legal" in my state (Feds still say it's not anyway)

2.) no time limits - although I sadly have to break this rule most times I go fishing now - as my typical solo fishing days are Friday (I have Friday & Saturday off) and I have to be home to get my son off the school bus, as my wife works on Fridays most weeks. So I'm pretty much limited to the 6 hours he's at school. Summer time can't come soon enough, because it's not unusual for my day long trips to last 10 hours or more.

3.) Have fun - fishing should be fun. If it's not - we have to figure out what is wrong and fix it, or just bag it for the day.

4.) Cell phones should be off or in airplane mode - I use my phone for a camera and don't usually fish where there is reception. I occasionally break this rule, but it's usually short hour or two trips to local ponds to play with the bluegills.

My wife used to get annoyed with my all day adventures, but she eventually came to accept it. She knew from our first trip together that I didn't like time limits, so I didn't spring that on her after the band went on the hand. During family time together, she actually enjoys getting out of the house for a whole day now.

Those are rules I could live by.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:46 pm • # 12 

mmckenzie wrote:
I don't have many rules

Agreed. I would just add to if somehing isn't working feel free tp change tactics.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:04 am • # 13 

My rules are simple.
1. Enjoy my time on the water.
2. Learn something new. No matter how big or small it may be.
3. Focus on the task at hand. AKA get lost in the moment
4. Have a plan. Make sure some one else knows the plan.
5. Try something different.IE cast, fly, technique
6. Be an ambassador to the sport. Aka set a good example

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:13 pm • # 14 

Do know harm and maybe leave the place a little better by carrying out some trash others may have left behind. Containers for nightcrawlers and discarded monofilament line always an excellent find.

Barry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:46 pm • # 15 

Nice one Barry. I am going to copy that; won't take much effort to pick up some trash (which is in some places abundant) on the way out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:49 am • # 16 

I have only one rule -go to the water let the fish dictate how I will fish that day. Too many times when I was younger I went to the river with a set plan to fish such and such way it rarely worked out. I will look back at my fishing journals to get an idea but beyond what rod/reel I am going to use all options are open. I do the same when I guide unless a client has a specific thing they want.
two things I always do make sure my wife and at least one of the guys from the fly shop know where I am fishing & have my cell phone ( 1 for pictures 2 safety sake)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:42 pm • # 17 

Iasgair, thanks for the topic.
I make sure I see all of what is around me, animals, fish, fields, the sky, fences and what all. It's my world and I want to experience as much of it as it cal.
I always thank the fish just before I release it.

If there are curious kids around I give them a few flies to try with their spinning gear. Their smiles are precious.

If I am wading I feel the water on my legs and if I am wearing my hearing aids I listen to the water as well.

I carry my cellular telephone for safety and health reasons - if my wife needs me I am home asap.

Big rule for me is this one: If my casting is crap or the fishing is poor I sometimes get angry. SO, I sometimes leave but usually I take a break and
reframe things. I let the rot go and ease into some healthy calmness. Works for me.

I always pick up trash.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:01 pm • # 18 

Man, everyone has some fantastic rules, and I thank you all for sharing them. Reading all of these posts I can surely say I follow some of all your rules as well, especially the picking up trash bit. Too bad anyone has to do that, but I'm glad to see we care about the environment we fish in.

Looks as though cell phones was a popular mention. I wish I got service in the mountains, just for the safety aspect of it, but in some ways I'm glad I don't. I fish to get away from the real world. Last thing I need is a telescammer calling me trying to sell me something while I'm fishing. :lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:21 pm • # 19 

I have my own rules.
1. Take my time, never rush, sit wait and watch.
2. Never wade too deep in fast running water.
3. Always use my home tied flies. I have no others now anyway.
4. Don't be lazy, get up and get out there even if it is 5AM.
5. Don't over fish a run or glide.
6. Go home and spend quality time with my wife, don't fish all day every day.
7.Be satisfied and thankfully for the results of the day, no matter what the catch was.
Stay safe its only a fish,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:55 am • # 20 

The posting of these very fine examples of superior rules to conduct yourself by, such as picking up trash and remembering to enjoy yourself, is wonderfully good advice. But at least for me in South Texas, the number one rule is to watch for snakes!

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply