It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:18 pm • # 1 

New here and already I want something. I'm a northern Californian, and I'll be traveling to Dallas a couple times a year on business. I always bring a fly rod when I travel.

What rod should I bring to Dallas? what flies? Any locations to get me started?

I'll have a car and will travel up to an hour each when I have a free day. My first trip will be early October. Appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:32 pm • # 2 

We have some great forum members from the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. I'm sure they'll chime in soon!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:55 am • # 3 

Dallas has a few lakes around the area, but bank fishing is not very good in most of them. The best bank fly fishing would be Denison Dam below Lake Texoma. For that you would need at least a 6-wt, preferably a 7 or 8-wt with chartruese/white or polar flash #2 clousers. If they are not generating you can wade below the dam, but you would probably need wading boots because it is quite rocky there.

I'm sure others will chime in about other lakes I'm not familiar with.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:39 am • # 4 

Try this thread from the TFF forum, it has plenty of bank fishing locations.
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubb ... ost6012810

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:54 am • # 5 

I fish and live in Coppell TX. I fly fish in Coppell's ponds on almost a daily basis year around. I use weights 2 to 7/8 but mostly I like to fish a 3 wt or a 4/5 wt 7ft rods.
I catch bass, blue gill, green sunfish, catfish, crappie, drum and an occasional carp.

The ponds are located in Andy Brown with the further East pond being my
favorite; I haven't fished the ponds on the West side very much, I live closer to the East ponds.

There are four ponds on Freeport Ave that I frequently fish. These are industrial drainage ponds.
There are other lakes and ponds in Coppell I haven't fished because I haven't the time.

Coppell is located adjacent to the DFW airport, to give you a reference point.

In addition to Coppell, I sometimes fish LLELA in the winter but it could be fished year around if one wanted to. I turn to LLELA if we have a cold winter and the fish get
sluggish in the ponds. LLELA stands for Lewisville Environmental Learning Area and is located at the Trinity River Dam on Lewisville Lake. There are also a few creeks
around that can be waded and fly fished.

The Trinity River runs through Dallas and that creates fishing opportunities, many of which I believe go untapped.

If you like trout fishing, you can reach Tishomingo Oklahoma in a couple of hours from Dallas and fish the Blue River which is stocked with trout in the Winter.
This blog will give you information: http://prairieoceanflyfisher.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your fishing in Dallas, I am sure you will enjoy it. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 pm • # 6 

The map is very helpful. Should be any number of places I can cast a fly and see what happens.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply