It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Back in UL action
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:25 am • # 1 

Man its been too long since I have posted here. Been crazy busy with work, moving, squeezing in family and fishing time. And I officially have an ultralight flyrod again after an impromptu visit to Cabelas. They had the 6' 3 weight Prime for sale at $59.99 so it followed me home. Its a "family rod" since my wife was eyeing it up before pointing out the price. Its been on the wish list for a while so I said we'll take it. Then my 6 year old promptly claimed it as "his new fly rod" - kind of like how he claimed my Loomis microlight spin rod as his a couple weeks ago. Kids got good taste at least...

I told the better half we could get twins but she said no bueno this time. Of course if its still on sale in a couple weeks it just may reproduce by mitosis...

Going to take it for a spin tomorrow and throw dries at coastal cutthroat. Went camling last week and fished a stream I have never fished much before. Had a ball and we decided to go back tomorrow. Last week they wanted either big puffy mayflies (even tho its primarily a caddis stream) and small muddler minnows either fished dry & dead drifted like a hopper or tighline swung just under the surface through a riffle like a scared sculpin. So I am loading up a bigger flybox with an assortment of big mayflies and muddlers thus ensuring the fish will want caddis or tricos or clouser minnows :)

Will also be fishing my 5 weight glass rods - between my wife & son I am not sure how much time with the little 3 weight I will get. But thats a ok. Its good to get them both into flyfishing.

Post subject: Re: Back in UL action
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:25 am • # 2 

Sounds like a win, all the way around!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 am • # 3 

I suppose Cabela is closing out the Prime, haven't seen it that low before. Tempting to get one but storage is an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:33 pm • # 4 

Got the rod "blooded" yesterday on a bunch of 6 inch largemouth. We changed plans from river fishing to pond fishing yesterday morning. Quite fun. 6 inch gills would have fought harder though. Rod did great out to 35 feet or so. Might hit 45 if lined with a better line. But for its intended use 35 is way pushing it. Love the action.

Rod threw size 12 foam hoppers like a boss.

Cant wait to hit up a trout stream now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:04 pm • # 5 

Hi mmckenzie
So you are taking the rod for a spin eh. Ha Ha... l get it.
Yes your kids will claim your 3 wt.
I have 2 boys in their late 20's and they claimed lots of my stuff and that's fine.
So nice you are spending lots of time with your family. Great parents. Lucky kids.
Better start saving for your next rod.
Tight lines
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:06 pm • # 6 

Funny thing was that my wife spotted the rod first as she wants a light rod. I think we will have to add another one of these to the stable.

My boy has quite a collection of rods of his own - 3 spin casters, his claimed microlight loomis, his actual very own tenkara rod, and now his claimed 3 weight :)

He caught his very first carp a few weeks ago and was instapoiled - his first carp was a 10 pounder. He now thinks they all should be 10 pounders. He had to rub it in too because my best fish of the trip was about 10 inches, his 2nd fish was 2 pounds, and his moms best fish of the trip was an 8 inch bullhead. But the big catch got him excited and he asked to go back the next day. Beats him sitting with his kindle in his room!

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply