It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:33 pm • # 1 

My local Bass Pro shop has the Eagle Claw 3wt, 7.5 ft, Parabolic in stock for $49+.
Has anyone experience using this rod?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:29 pm • # 2 

Kind of pricy for the Eagle Claw rods - Wal Mart usually sells them here for $26-30.

Eagle Claw glass rods are cheap fun. I have not had the 3 weight but I have had a few 5/6's and they were great fun on bluegill, bass, and small stream trout.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:02 am • # 3 

Not familiar with this model. Is it a new addition to the Featherlight series? The 3/4 wt Featherlight is 6’6” and usually under 30 bucks. I have all three sizes/weights and they’re a tremendous value and very durable. Much can be learned from fishing glass. Being slower, it offers more feedback to the caster.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:58 pm • # 4 

Yes, I think this is a new addition to Eagle Claw's line. They also have a 8ft 5 wt Eagle Claw with parabolic action in stock at my local Bass Pro. Thanks for the info Mac and Knotty.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:21 pm • # 5 

A 7.5’ Eagle Claw parabolic 3-weight seems to me like an interesting configuration. I agree that at $50 it is on the pricy side. It probably has to do with the fact that it’s a new release, and that the supply is less than the perceived demand, and it will probably go down over time.

While some people have a rather negative view of Eagle Claw rods, let’s remember that the company was still manufacturing and selling fiberglass rods during the late 80s and the 90s, when most other manufacturers were only offering carbon fiber fly rods. I personally have had one or more of their rods most of the time since 1970. I plan to keep an eye on the situation of their 7 ½ foot 3-weight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:08 pm • # 6 

In looking at the Bass Pro website, I see the Eagle Claw Crafted Glass rod. It is also offered at Cabela's. It is the length mentioned and also the line weight mentioned. In reviews on a couple of other sites, it is not described as parabolic, but as a light tip rod. In a review on the Fiberglass Flyrodders site, it was noted to cast well with a 3DT, but didn't load as well with a 3WF. These may have been different line brands; it was not mentioned.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:50 am • # 7 

The Crafted Glass series sells at my local WalMart for about $30 - if they were not so heavy I would grab one to try. The 8'6" 5 weight feels heavier than my 13 foot #8 speyrod. I don't have a reel heavy enough to balance, and if there is a 3 weight in the lineup our Wallys does not get em. They do have Crafted Glass spin rods though. Those seem cool.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:14 pm • # 8 

Thanks for the post Mac. If and when I see that 7.5 3wt parabolic for $30 I'll grab it. If I didn't mention they also have a 5wt parabolic, I think 8 ft but don't recall for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:02 pm • # 9 

I remember as a little kid, back in the early 70's, if you didn't have an Eagle Claw rod, you weren't keeping up with the times. Everyone had to have a spinning rod from E.C. I never had an E.C. rod of any sort, probably due to the physical weight of their fly rods. They do feel heavy. But for $30 at Wal-Mart, I guess its a pretty good deal for a stay in the truck rod.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:10 am • # 10 

Best price I could find was -
https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Eagle-Claw-Crafted-Glass-Fly-Rod/productDetail/Fly-Rods/prod99999051877/cat112000

From what I can find online it may not be a true 3wt though. Might require a heavier line to cast easily. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:01 pm • # 11 

JimRed wrote:
… Eagle Claw 3wt, 7.5 ft, Parabolic …

The [url]flyfishohio.com/Eagle_Claw_Featherlight_FL300-8.htm[/url] review might be a good read before you sink good money in one ( "… the progressive taper (there's nothing parabolic about this blank, despite the labeling) …" )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:13 pm • # 12 

nunc wrote:
JimRed wrote:
… Eagle Claw 3wt, 7.5 ft, Parabolic …

The [url]flyfishohio.com/Eagle_Claw_Featherlight_FL300-8.htm[/url] review might be a good read before you sink good money in one ( "… the progressive taper (there's nothing parabolic about this blank, despite the labeling) …" )

Thanks for the link, interesting reading.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:21 am • # 13 

I agree with Jim Red in that it was an interesting review. In fact the reviewer said this.

“The Eagle Claw FL300-8 is one of a series of ten rods on the Featherlight family, and one of three fly rod configurations. There is also a 6-foot 6-inch 3/4 weight and a 7-foot 5/6 weight in the collection, and I've heard rumors that both of them are surprising performers. In fact, they may be better than the 8-foot 6-weight reviewed here, but that's just rumor. I've not handle either of the other configurations, but people I know and trust have told me that they define "bargain"! If they're better than the FL300-8, then they are quite good indeed."

So the rod being reviewed was in fact an 8’6” rod for a 6-weight, while no mention was made of the 7’6” 3-weight in question, just for the record.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:47 pm • # 14 

I know it's an old thread but I cant help myself . I have one of the 7 1/2 #3 rods and while it's heavier than my other 3wts it is a decent cheap rod . It doesn't take a lot of practice to learn and it is yellow , my favorite color ! Plus , The Eagle Claw 5wt rod was my very first flyrod back in the 70s. IMHO it is worth the 36 dollars I paid at Sportsman's just for the nostalgia alone .

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:14 am • # 15 

jangles wrote:
I know it's an old thread but I cant help myself . I have one of the 7 1/2 #3 rods and while it's heavier than my other 3wts it is a decent cheap rod . It doesn't take a lot of practice to learn and it is yellow , my favorite color ! Plus , The Eagle Claw 5wt rod was my very first flyrod back in the 70s. IMHO it is worth the 36 dollars I paid at Sportsman's just for the nostalgia alone .

Jangles, that rod has also captured my imagination. I wonder if it really is a 3-weight and whether it really is parabolic. Could you shed some light on that?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:14 pm • # 16 

What does "Parabolic" mean when it comes to fly rods? Adios Philip

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:15 am • # 17 

PampasPete wrote:
jangles wrote:

Jangles, that rod has also captured my imagination. I wonder if it really is a 3-weight and whether it really is parabolic. Could you shed some light on that?

I don't have enough fish time on it to comment except to say that it throws 3 wt line decent enough . As far as Parabolic , I don't have a clue . Wish I could be of more help .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:41 pm • # 18 

I believe parabolic is when the rod has a bend like a circle when under tension, from the tip to the butt.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:48 am • # 19 

JimRed wrote:
I believe parabolic is when the rod has a bend like a circle when under tension, from the tip to the butt.

I just test bent it and I think it would break before it ever got close to a circle . Pretty stiff in the top third or at least too stiff to bend in a circle .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:52 am • # 20 

Maybe someone will chime in with a better explanation than mine. I think Chris Barclay has a parabolic rod offering.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply