It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:43 am • # 1 

Been awhile since I last posted and been awhile since I've fished but will be going more now with cooler weather coming.

I posted the following in 2014 regarding Simms Guide boots.

"I also wear the Simms Guide boot-great support. They are not inexpensive but worth the price to me. I was leaning toward a pair of LL Beans and there are probably other good models on the market but hard to imagine any more durable than the Simms. My problem is a very wide foot-and the Simms fit my fat feet quite well."

At that time I'd had these for a year or so and probably fished them 7-8 times. They did fit at well but the appearance of the boot made them looked more used than they were. This was not an issue for me but I believe it might have contributed to my problem with Simms.

The boots did not get fished a ton-likely 15-18 times. I would wet wade some and used other boots some also. The Simms started to have some problems after a few trips. The stitching in the toe guard came loose and the boots started to lose their shape-they actually started to shrink a bit. When the boots became uncomfortable I put them aside until I could call Simms to send back for repair or replacement.

I did not call or take any action right away-in fact I waited for over a year. I was not terribly concerned about Simms standing behind their product. I own quite a few Simms products. I have 2 sets of waders, a backpack, a chestpack and a few pieces of clothing and have been pretty satisfied with their stuff.

I called about the boots and was told to send them in and they would evaluate the boots. So far so good. A few weeks later I get a call from Simms and the rep told me they could not repair the boots. She also told me they would not replace them but would offer me a 35% discount of new pair. I asked for a explanation and the rep stated the boots had wear on them. I said yes they have been worn but told them to look at the sole and notice the lack of wear there. I felt the appearance of the sole of the boot would let them know the boot had not been used extensively. I got nowhere with her and asked for her supervisor.

I spoke with the supervisor and he stated same thing. I explained to him these boots were not worn more than 20 times, not in salt water and they had not been subjected to any chemicals so they should not have broken down like they did-not given the price and the Simms name. He did not budge and one thing that really bothered me is their folks were very nonchalant and did not seem to really care.

I explained to him 35% discount was not good enough. I can get that on Simms items on my own-in fact there were new discontinued Simms Boots discounted at 35% from a dealer in Washington.

We ended the conversation with him asking we what I wanted / expected. I told him would be back in touch as I was too pissed off to discuss any further at that time.

I actually returned an Arcteryx jacket for warranty repair the same day. I don't go to post office often so I sent both off on one of my rare post office trips. The jacket is 17 years old but Arcteryx is replacing the jacket no questions asked. It is a Beta AR gore tax jacket and started to delaminate. Oddly I actually expected to pay for a repair or have Arcterryx deny my warranty given the age of the jacket. I am not sure if this is a fair comparison but I certainly feel much better about Arcteryx at this moment than I do Simms. I also thought about the pair of Weinbrenner wading boots that I loaned to my buddies son. The Weinbrenners are likely 20 years old and still in good shape. They costs less than Simms and have been used a ton. Again perhaps this not a fair comparison but it is true.

So here are my questions. Am I being unreasonable? Are my expectations too high here? What should I ask for that is fair to both sides? I would be fine with a refurbished boot or a repair that went unpaid or even a pair of seconds if they function and are comfortable but I am not OK with nothing being done and 35% discount is not OK in my book.

Thanks for reading this and I'm sorry for the long post but felt I needed to offer as much details as I could

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:34 pm • # 2 

This issue is resolved and while not exactly what I had hoped for-it will work. I will be receiving a pair of lesser grade Simms boots with some cosmetic flaws. I'll take it.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:07 pm • # 3 

I no longer buy Simms products because of the quality issues I have faced myself. I will say how very well pleased I am with Orvis and their warranty on everything so far purchased. In fact, I really can't comment on their warranty yet, because everything is holding up rather well. So far, no complaints, and I don't see any to come in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:19 pm • # 4 

I would have thought an outfit like Simms would replace the boots no question. After reading about your issue it makes me wonder if l want to buy any more wading boots from them.

I've not had an issue with mine but l'm big on customer service.

I wonder how much more product they would sell if you had posted that you sent the boots back and they replaced them and threw in a ball cap too! Now wouldn't that have been nice?

Why spend heaps of cash on advertising and not look after your clients?

Go figure

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:49 am • # 5 

Michael:
Very good point. Money spent KEEPING customers is money well spent. Like the L.L.Bean model, in my experience. THen again, they've only been around since 1912, so I guess the jury's still out on that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:40 am • # 6 

Years ago I saw on 60 Minutes (or similar program) a segment in which the reporter tried to return a white dress shirt to 6 different department stores. The shirt had been purchased at none of them, but he wanted to see what the customer service departments would do. He posed it as a gift that had been given him, so he didn't have a receipt, but that the gift giver had said he or she had purchased at that store

Five of them turned him down flat. The customer service manager at the sixth store (the CS representative had asked the manager to weigh-in on the shirt) said that the shirt was not a brand that his company carried, but that he would nonetheless give the guy a $50 in-store credit. The "customer" then revealed himself as a reporter, and asked why the manager had done that. The manager replied, "I don't consider it a $50 cost, but an investment. You will likely purchase at least $50, but might purchase more. And, what will you think of the store that would do this for you? You'll probably be please, and perhaps even return to buy more. You'll also probably tell your friends about this and they might be more inclined to shop here as well."

That store was Nordstrom's.

Wheezeburnt is correct - money spent keeping customers is money well spent. In fact, not spent, but invested.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:40 pm • # 7 

Hi All

I had an MSR stove for some 18 years. I never cleaned it or looked after it in any way at all. It got really used.

When a flame began to lick out of where the jet screws into the stove l no longer felt comfortable using it so l went to MEC in Vancouver and bought a new one. No problem.

I then boxed up the old one and mailed it to MSR in Seattle. I sent them my credit card number and I told them it had suffered a hard life and if they could repair it or sell me the parts to fix it all would be good. I also said if they could not fix it to not even bother sending it back as it owed me nothing. I thanked them for such a tough bit of kit.

About 6 weeks later a box shows up in the mail. The letter says " One XGK stove replaced under warranty".
Yes.... a brand new stove. I couldn't believe it.

Some 3 decades have past and l've told that story countless times and have since purchased a ton of MSR gear and been pleased with all of it.

I wonder if anyone at Simms is reading this?

Best Fishes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 pm • # 8 

I've got a new pair of Simms G3 waders with 4 trips on them now. Yeah, they leak. It took me 6 weeks to receive the waders after I ordered them and I'm not about to send them back for another who knows how many more weeks. I'm fixing leaks as I identify them and currently down to one slow seep on the inside of the right knee.

On that note, I lucked out on my Simms boots. They have held up great but will probably by a new pair of Weinbreners when it's time to retire the Simms. I've used Danners, Weinbreners, Simms and a few others. The Danners didn't last long and the mesh uppers let in a LOT of sand. Weinbreners were about perfect.

As for the resolved issue regarding your boots. I wonder how many sales that cost Simms?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:43 am • # 9 

The thing that bugs me is the boots were great when I first got them. The fit well and they were really good at hiking. -
I usually walk a bit before I get in the river at one of my favorite places to fish and these Simms were ideal for that.

I will likely NOT buy Simms boots again-at least not before I do some extended research. If I plan on going for another high end pair I believe I'll look at Patagonia.

I actually own a few pieces of Simms gear but this experience has definitely cooled me on any further purchases from them.

Also I did receive the brand new Arcterryx jacket the other day. As I stated in the original post-I asssumed the Simms warranty claim would have be easier than the Arcterryx but it was certainly wasn't the case. By the way the new jacket they sent me retails for $575.00

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply