It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Back to UL
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:21 am • # 1 

Haven't been around much, but this summer I finally found a UL rod I really like.
Echo Dry-290 (9'0" 2wt).
I put a slightly heavy reel (Ross Flystart) on it to balance the extra length and it has turned out to be easy to cast, accurate, and most importantly - FUN to fish with!

I usually fish lakes & ponds for 'gills mostly, but some waters have a variety (bluegill, bass, crappie, green sunfish, channel cats, etc.) and was looking for a longer rod for a long time before I found this one. So far it's been mostly 'gills, but about every one has put up a good fight and put a good bend in the rod for me!

Post subject: Re: Back to UL
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:46 am • # 2 

Wabi:
Thanks for posting your experience. Out of curiosity, what would you say would be the largest/heaviest/most wind-resistant fly you can comfortably cast with that 9'?

(I have a 7.5' 3wt UL rod I use on my home stream and it handles a lot of conditions and fish I encounter, but there are some smallies there that reach 20" and often seem only interested in larger fare. Like #4 deerhair mice, big muddlers, weighted wooly buggers. So far, with a couple of notable exceptions, my lack of skill has prevented me from serving up what they want, and I've been blaming it (mostly) on the rod and line wt. If I can hook them, I can play them on the rod; just can't seem to get that Hungry Man Dinner to them.)
brent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:47 am • # 3 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Wabi:
Thanks for posting your experience. Out of curiosity, what would you say would be the largest/heaviest/most wind-resistant fly you can comfortably cast with that 9'?
brent

I usually fish a local lake for 'gills, so I haven't really tried anything larger than my usual (very limited) selection of size 10 - 14 flies. When I'm looking for a topwater bite I usually start with something like a #12 black ant (dubbed body) or elk hair caddis. For deeper action I usually start with a #14 PT nymph. Most days those flies work so well I don't experiment that much with other patterns.
If the 'gills aren't active I have stooped so low as to tie on a #8 sickle hook under a strike indicator and impale a waxworm on the hook. It will cast that combination when necessary. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:03 pm • # 4 

Thanks!
"...stooped so low..." :lol :lol
Yep, done a bit of 'stooping' myself (minus the bobber, er, strike indicator). ;)

Think I'll move the question to another thread for the gen pop.
brent

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply