It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Maximum fly size?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:15 pm • # 1 

I've always chosen fly gear weight (for lines and rods) based upon the size of the fly I expect to cast. So, my decision to use an 8 or 9 wt for salmon fishing rests in large part on my decision to throw #6 to #2 iron, and large, bushy dry flies like bombers. For smallies on big water or in big sizes, I go with a 5 or 6wt system (maybe even an 8 for throwing big streamers or poppers).
But I really enjoy UL fishing, and on the rare occasions I've hooked into larger fish, found the #3 rod more than adequate to land them. (UL personal bests are 19" for both brookies and smallies). Our local smallies (and to a lesser extent, our larger brookies - say, 14 to 22") respond more consistently to larger offerings, but I cannot seem to effectively cast flies with my little 7.5' 3 wt much over a #10 (8 at the absolute limit), and anything substantially weighted or bushy.... well, it ain't pretty.

Do you think going with, say, a 9' rod would help? Or any other suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
brent

Post subject: Re: Maximum fly size?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:33 pm • # 2 

I have cast as big as a 6 on my 3 weight and 8 on my 2 weight. I mostly use 8 or 10 on my panfishing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:51 pm • # 3 

Might I ask how long your rods are?
thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:14 pm • # 4 

One determining factor in the size of the fly that can be cast (easily) might be the action rating (slow, med, fast) of a particular rod.
In my rather limited experience my slow action (cane & glass) rods seem to be less friendly when trying to cast larger (heavier/bulkier) flies.
But I usually fish rods rated med/fast, and it takes a short adjustment period when I pick up a slow action rod to cast any fly. :lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:57 pm • # 5 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Might I ask how long your rods are?
thanks.

My go to rods are TFO 8' professional 2 weight. Cabelas Stowaway 6 which is 3 weight 8'6".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:56 pm • # 6 

I agree with wabi. My graphite rods which are faster cast oversized flys better than my slow action rods which are glass.
I can cast heavier flies with modified lines that give a short heavy shooting head. For example, starting with a #7 line I
shorten the shooting head such that the first 30 feet of line match a 3 wt line. With this line I can then cast a #8 or #6 with
my 3 wt graphite, 7.5 ft,

This type of casting stresses my shoulder and elbow more so I have to be cautious not to over do it limiting my casts to
between 30 and 40 ft.

Wind makes a difference when I cast oversized flys too. I like the wind pushing the fly forward. To avoid the fly hitting my body, I cast with the hand
that is on the downwind side so the fly is blown away from the body.

Opening the loop helps when I cast oversized flys too as the heavy shooting head will want to otherwise collapse.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:33 pm • # 7 

All good hints. Thanks, guys.
So, is there ANY reason to think a 9' 3 wt can more easily cast a larger fly than a 7' 3wt?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:35 pm • # 8 

Wheezeburnt
I'm in the same camp as you.
When l lived in British Columbia and was much younger l would huck large weighted nymphs with a 5 wt.
It wasn't pleasant. So l quit doing that. I didn't want to move to a heavier rod either.
The largest beadhead l huck now is a #14 on a 4 wt. rod.
I may not get as many trout as some but that's not what it's all about for me anyway.
I fish a 2 wt. a lot and the largest fly l cast would be a #16 and unweighted at that.
There are no rules and just depends on what you are comfortable with.
If you have access to a 9' 3 wt. give it a go.
Any shops in your area have a 9' demo?
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:47 pm • # 9 

Wheezeburnt, I have a 10' 4wt, and it will throw larger flies than my 9' 4wt, and my 7'6" 4wt, and they are rated a medium fast action. I also have an 8' 4wt, but it's a full flex rod, and it doesn't much care for bigger flies in the single digits.
I see no reason why a 9' rod, having more of a backbone than a 7'6" rod, comparably, can't or won't handle bigger flies. But I'm not an engineer of any kind, so I'm only going off on what I have experienced myself. But all I know is, my 10' rod will handle bigger flies. The biggest I fish on it is a #12, but I feel comfortable that it'll go way bigger if I had to.

I think you'll be alright.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:00 am • # 10 

More good input! Thanks, guys. Sounds like more rod acquisition may be in my future!
Not a lot of local opportunities to play with ul long rods. I live in salmon country, and a 5wt is considered a light rod. Almost all fly fishing is for Atlantic salmon; the bulk of trout fishing is with spinner and worm. I should say, though, that inroads are being made in trout and smallmouth bass fishing.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:07 pm • # 11 

I throw that (unweighted) mouse to #6 on a graphite 3wt, and #8 all day on a glass 3wt or carbon 2wt. #10 or #12 for beadchain Clousers and lightly weighted damsel nymphs, etc. It's not always pretty, but it works for me.

Related: if folks are having such great success using inline spinners for trout, why are we throwing nymphs. I ask not only because of the reported Canadian experience, but because a gear guy recently posted a 6:1 advantage that way, same day same water.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:46 am • # 12 

TXH2Oman wrote:
....Related: if folks are having such great success using inline spinners for trout, why are we throwing nymphs. I ask not only because of the reported Canadian experience, but because a gear guy recently posted a 6:1 advantage that way, same day same water.

Haha! good point!

I don't know if my own trouting experience from long ago using spinner and worm would support the 6:1 ratio, but it certainly would be in that direction. Gotta admit, not having to carry worms around was a partial motivator for me. Plus, my 'tutor' was more of a Halford than a Skues, and he introduced me to the visual joy of watching a dry fly taken off the surface.

But I still occasionally dig out the old Hildebrandt inline silver spinners and bait hooks, and dig a few worms when my goal is to fill the creel with eating-sized yellow perch. I do successfully pursue perch with MMMinnows on occasion, but I gotta say, that's one time when the 6:1 ratio seems about right. Oh, and its fun, too. ;)
brent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:42 am • # 13 

doublepost...

Last edited by LauraPalmer on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:44 am • # 14 

I think ultralight fishing is only fun if the fly is appropriatly big or better say small... However, out on the river a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, if something shows up...

TXH2Oman wrote:
Related: if folks are having such great success using inline spinners for trout, why are we throwing nymphs. I ask not only because of the reported Canadian experience, but because a gear guy recently posted a 6:1 advantage that way, same day same water.

Hey Aaron! Depends on hugely the water, time of the year etc. I´d say. I know rivers in Slovenia that have the occasional very big brown trout in small salmon size. It`s always fun to watch fisherman who don't know the water throwing big streamers at them - they get completely ignored. But you can catch them on #18 or smaller micro nymphs. Or do it like some of the Italien fisherman, hook them with a #32 fly and 0,08 mm tippet (8X I guess...) - and break it off immedeatly afterwards :D In that case it`s fishing pressure.

Fishing for stocked rainbows, the method which includes the biggest shiny golden thing always wins - or the day they get stocked, something that looks like those little black things they got fed in their former concrete pool home.
On delicate, gin clear waters with natural fish, an inline spinner will get you maybe a few fish, whilst the right nymph will get you 50+ bites. I know a river where in October when you fish for grayling, an inline spinner will probably get you nothing but big frustration and a #22 black ant or midge will get you basically a bite or more every cast - in case you miss the first... - my girlfriend once quit after 2 hours, because she was annoyed playing the fish and unhooking them - she said she just wanted to stand in the water, be quiet and cast :\

So it kind of comes down to match the hatch or use a worm - which is always the best method :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:42 am • # 15 

LauraPalmer wrote:
Depends on hugely the water, time of the year etc....:D

Can't argue there. There are accessible stretches of the stream I live on, that see significant hardware pounding. Although they are often thought to be 'fished out', I can usually go through with flies and pick up bass that have become desensitized (or is it sensitized?) to the hardware. I have a feeling, though, that I could easily outperform my fly fishing with a nightcrawler suspended under a bobber. You know, if I were THAT sort of fellow.... :lol
brent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:40 am • # 16 

Gerhard, I'm really looking forward to flying over to fish with you sometime. Think we can make a quick side trip to Bosnia, too? I've recently watched some videos ....

Brent, all I got to say about that is to quote the master himself:

“My attitude is, if it won’t take a fly use lures. If it won’t take lures, use bait. I’m not one of those guys who only fly fishes or only uses dry flies. Those guys are missing out. I’m going to catch the **** fish one way or another.” – Lefty Kreh, Issue 5 of The Mission, Sept. 2017

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:01 am • # 17 

Hey Aaron!

We could - but I have no experience fishing there - I would have to make a few calls for some proper information. I've heard very mixed reviews about fishing there - from untouched rivers and everything great to very bad fishing lodges just trying to make an easy buck...
Looking forward to fish you, no matter where! :-)

I´m also spinnfishing btw, but I mostly end up using fly rods, even when I plan not to...

And something probably not too many have done: I fished for trout with worms one day - in NEW ZEALAND - just to do something different (was there for nearly half a year...) :D Didn't catch anything that day - and it was way more difficult to catch the worms than it was catching nice trout with a fly...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:30 pm • # 18 

Brent, I keep seeing this thread and backing away; I'm certainly not as accomplished a caster as many of the folks here. But I decided to sound off anyway; just to add another perspective to the mix. My two UL rods are a TFO 8' Pro II 2 weight and a TFO Finesse 5' half weight. Both rods are used primarily in salt water, but they see some fresh water (and smaller flies -- sometimes) from time to time. The flies I use most are tied primarily on #4 Gammy SC15s and weighted with small brass beadchain eyes or a 5/32" brass beadhead. I also use a #6 Billy Pate for some of them, but the Eagle Claw hooks are much heavier so they are mostly reserved for the two weight, and tied only if I am out of the SC15s. The flies are a simple sparse tie of marabou, craft fur, krystal flash, or very thin sliced rabbit fur.

Now, Aaron and Larry have seen me cast. They will tell you it ain't very pretty....... But I generally manage to get the cricket close enough to the fish to get a few eats. My winter speck spot requires 50'-60' casts for the best results, and I generally have no problem with the 2 weight. The half weight is a bit more of a challenge, but certainly manageable, and well worth it when a 22" speck gets that BVK 0 clicker screaming :applause . A video of me chucking those weighted flies with that 5' half weight would surely drive a casting instructor to drinking -- or hari kiri -- but I am able to accomplish the mission. Needless to say, no such video exists........

I can say this: I find it easier to cast those weighted flies with the 5' half weight than casting the 3/0 large lead eye streamers I took to Louisiana that I had to throw with my 9' 8 weight when I busted the stripping guide on my 10 weight on my bull red trip.

Give casting the bigger flies some effort; I think you can get it done. I certainly believe that a longer rod will help, but you just need to feel your way into the necessary technique for chucking oversized crickets. It'll happen if you want it to. Best of luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:15 pm • # 19 

Hipshot:
Thanks, pal. Very informative. I really wish there WERE a video of you casting those lumps with the 5' 0wt. I'd love to watch your technique. Wouldn't bother me much aesthetically - I fish alone most of the time anyway.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:40 pm • # 20 

Brent: PM sent

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply