It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Resoling Wading Boots
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:11 pm • # 1 

I have a pair of Weinbenner "Ultimate Wading Shoes" that have worn out felt soles. I'd like to replace them with a specific "wading" rubber sole. The heel on the Weinbenners is just made up of a felt stack so I need a sole that had a heel as part of them. For this reason the classic Vibram Idogrip would not be an option.

Anybody have experience resoling boots?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:46 pm • # 2 

I can think of some ways of doing it, but it's not something I would want to tackle. I have resoled a pair of wading shoes years ago and put on 510 rubber soles from LL Bean. However, the felt soles that were on the shoes originally were just glued on. The Weinbrenners may be stitched on as well as glued. If they are just glued on, you place the soles of the shoe in a skillet in boiling water for several minutes to soften the glue, then take a pair of pliers and carefully pull the soles off. Definitely not easy. If the felt soles are stitched on, you will need to use an X-acto knife or something to cut through the stitches before you can pull the soles off. Once you have the felt soles off, need to clean the surface. To build up the heel, you can find rubber heel lifts 1/4" thick. If need 1/2" heel, just glue one on top of another. May need to use a grinder to bevel the front of the heels in order to smoothly apply the Vibram sole. When I put on the 510 soles, they came with Barge cement and a brush to apply the glue. Once in place, you pound on the sole with a hammer or mallet, thoroughly covering the entire sole to ensure good contact.
Sound like fun so far? Which is why I just buy a new pair of shoes. I'm too lazy to go through that again.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:52 pm • # 3 

Yes. I’ve tried resoling both hiking (military) boots and wading boots.
It’s not that it doesn’t work, more that it wont last long enough to make it worth the hassle.

Did the hiking boots at a professional. Got an extra couple of months of wear out of them.

Did the wading boots (simms) myself, they survived, just barely, to the end of the season. They’re still around. I ripped the soles clean off and it turns out you can actually use them fine for wading without the outer sole. Sort of a spongy rubbery feel to them now, but with surprisingly good traction. Better than vibram soles for traction. I would not want to hike on rocky ground with them. I use them in tandem with my just-barely-hanging-in-there waders when doing conservation work. It involves a lot of work in beaver territory with sharp sticks and carrying heavy rocks. Not kind on waders or other expensive stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:29 pm • # 4 

When I resoled my old Hodgman wading boots, the repair lasted at least a couple of years, but the inner edge of the sole toward the forefoot would occasionally peel up and sand and gravel would get in. I cleaned it out and reglued a couple of times, but finally the uppers of the boots started cracking, so I just discarded them. Overall, I would say it's more trouble than it's worth. At least, as far as I am concerned.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 pm • # 5 

A quick online search revealed a shop that puts Simms Vapor Tread soles on boots, and not just Simms boots. They say they can put these soles on any brand of wading boot. But I would be sure to ask them if they can do it with a stack heel like the Weinbrenners. The website is:

www.repairmyfootwear.com/fishing-wader-re-sole

Hope this is helpful.

Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply