It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:26 pm • # 1 

Interesting article about posting photos of fish on social media. Now, I'm not trying to stir the pot. I've certainly posted plenty of shots on this forum. The last couple years though I've really questioned taking any pictures, something I did for years. I am not on social media either.

When a person's motivation is personal gain though, I can't help but think the fish is going to get the short end of the stick. Hopefully times are changing. The Keep Em Wet campaign is just a modern extension of catch and release.

http://www.sweetwaternow.com/opinion-fl ... r-fishery/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:18 pm • # 2 

Same article. Different perspective.

But hopefully this is the reaction you anticipated and the discussion you wanted to start.

I perceived the article to be about brand ambassadors going to unethical lengths to get hero shots in order to promote themselves and gain financially.

Like targeting spawning males on redds, why this is an unacceptable behavior, and that we need to weed that sort of behavior out of the sport. Especially within the group of people who position themselves as role models or poster-people of the sport.

Taking photos of fish in a responsible way, and posting on social media is not the problem. Using unethical fishing methods and condoning poor handling of the fish is.

I love the keep-em-wet campaign. It sends a message of good fish handling. But I’m aware that there will always be some rotten apples who are willing to use questionable handling to get those shots of dripping fish.
(no indication that such was the case with fish in the article though, but a valid fishing license is always a nice touch)
Keep-em-wet is still a huge leap forward in my opinion.

Keep those fish in the water.
Use fish-friendly nets.
Get rid of those silly barbed hooks.
Keep the photos coming.

Stirring the pot. :)

//Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:03 am • # 3 

I frequently get upset looking at some of the pics on social media. People catching huge quantities of fish and keeping them just for boasting rights.
It's not that I don't (occasionally) keep a fish or two for a meal (plentiful species where it will not harm the survival rate). It's those pictures of people with stringers full of bluegill, crappie, etc. many of which are too small to be of practical use for food, just kept (and usually killed in the process) for taking a picture at the end of the day.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply