It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:36 pm • # 1 

I am considering a fall trip to Michigan's UP. I do not want to drive excessive distances so, I was considering the Hiawatha National Forest as a western boundary. Has anyone fished this area before such that they could provide insight for gear selection, fishing requirements (i.e., waders, shore, kayak, etc.)? I suspect room for back casts to be tight as this is a national forest. At the moment, I own only 8' 4wt rods and realize a trip to an area such as this may also require new gear.

Any rivers or streams east of the forest would also be useful to learn about.

Thank you,

Rick

Edit - Added "?" in subject line...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:19 am • # 2 

As a matter of fact, I lived in Michigan up until 1995, and often fished in the region that you mentioned from the early 70s onward.

Some of my fondest memories are of fishing the Carp River jiust north of St. Ignace in the fall. As far as equipment goes, an 8-foot 4 weight would work nicely, although I would prefer somenthing a bit lighter and shorter until the end of the regular trout season. But then in October, for salmon and lake-run browns and rainbows, a 6- or 7-weight would be more in order. If you go a bit further west, it would be worth looking into the Fox River system, as welll as the Big and Little Two-hearted Rivers.

Waders would be necessary, and if you've already got a kayak, you could make good use of it. Of course, things do change, so others could give more updated information.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:48 pm • # 3 

PampasPete,

Thank you for responding to my inquiry. It cannot be said that you do not know how to relocate.

Is your comment regarding smaller and lighter rod/reel (until the end of the regular trout season) with regard to fish or vegetation level? The time I have spent looking at satellite maps indicate the vegetation does not appear to be a significant issue even in full bloom on the water I have been considering. This is the Sturgeon Creek and Whitefish River. What I really need is the beauty of nature and complete immersion in it this type of isolation provides.

My initial fly rod from years ago is a 7 weight fiberglass Fenwick FF857. Nothing to write home about yet, it sounds like it should meet the need. Landing a suitable brown is a goal.

I know the Fox, as do many others, I was just concerned about the duration of the drive. These plans are tentative but, I can always extend them if necessary. I am bringing my son into this sport so, I will spend a considerable amount of energy to provide a successful outcome.

We certainly need waders yet, I must remain concerned regarding the speed of the water in the river. A kayak or, inflatable pontoon, is on my radar but, this is difficult to define at this stage in developing a family activity. Purpose built fishing kayaks are excessively costly. I much prefer the idea of a small (i.e., 12'-14') conventional kayak for this purpose yet, am uncertain regarding long term comfort for fly fishing.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply