It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Nice Bass 3 Forks 3WT
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:39 pm • # 1 

Unusual catch for me this time of the year when I am targeting Bluegills.
Lucky catch, got caught up in weeds twice and my mono-filament running
line got caught in my fly pack during the ordeal. Just one bass with several shots
caught on a #10 Caddis.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:44 pm • # 2 

Wow, thanks for sharing this with us.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:05 am • # 3 

Big bass for a little fly!
I've only caught babies on flies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:37 am • # 4 

congrats- nice one.
i have read people not being complementary about the 763 on another site but
i too have taken many bass and many species with that rod. cant beat it for the money. Congrats again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:34 am • # 5 

Congratulations; very nice bass. I am one of those people who have been critical of the 3 Forks 3 weight. Back in the early to mid 90's, I purchased a 3 weight Three Forks rod after a friend let me cast his. I was very impressed by the castability and fish fighting function of this rod, especially for the price. I probably fished that rod far more than any others for several years. I remember receiving a new Cabela's catalog one year, with several new models added to the Three Forks lineup. In that catalog and for several years afterward, they said the new models were a faster action, but the very popular 7'6" 3 weight and the 8' 5 weight rods had been left with the original action. I was pleased to hear that. A few years ago a friend of mine wanted to get a couple of inexpensive rods for his grandkids. I strongly recommended the Three Forks. When the rods came in, we were extremely disappointed. These rods had a stiff, fast action, considerably stiffer and faster than my old rod. We thought them to be more of a 5 weight than a 3. However, recently I rediscovered something that I already knew from experience. We were trying a different line on a Headwaters 3 weight bamboo rod that we had dismissed as being a bit of a limp noodle. With a Barrio Small Stream WF3 line, the Headwaters rod cast like a dream. With some other WF3 line, not so well. My friend Charlie decided to try out the Three Forks again. With the Small Stream WF3, it actually felt fairly pleasant, though still somewhat faster than my old rod. Some rods seem to have a wide tolerance for lines, casting well with many different line tapers. Some rods are extremely finicky, and will only cast well with certain line tapers.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:08 am • # 6 

not to turn this to a 763 discussion but could not agree more on the line selection.
after reading many comments on the 763, both good and bad, one of the most consistent recommendations was to overline which I do with mine, throws a 4 weight forward line perfectly. also agree that they are a tad faster than moderate but that has not been an issue for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:53 pm • # 7 

Nice catch Jim.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:51 pm • # 8 

Nice fish , good catch there .
I have a Three Forks 7'6" 3wt I bought 75 or 100 years ago . Love that old rod . :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:04 pm • # 9 

Nice bass there Jim. The challenges you faced getting it in must have made finally landing it all the more rewarding.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:08 am • # 10 

Very nice fish! I think we appreciate a fish more when there's a little adversity along the way to getting it landed.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:34 am • # 11 

That thing is a monster! Nice report.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:01 pm • # 12 

Jim pulls some monsters out of small water with small flies. Bass and Blue Gills.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:06 pm • # 13 

In my very limited bass fishing experience (less than 2 years) I catch lots of baby bass on dry flies. But nothing big or mature.
I've tried streamers but no luck there yet either.
But a 5" mullet plastic lure on an ultralight spin works wonders usually on the first cast.
So I obviously need to figure out how to present a dry fly to a mature bass!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:23 pm • # 14 

fastyacht wrote:
In my very limited bass fishing experience (less than 2 years) I catch lots of baby bass on dry flies. But nothing big or mature.
But a 5" mullet plastic lure on an ultralight spin works wonders usually on the first cast.

There's no technique or knowledge behind my presentation. Time on the water is the factor I think...I spend about 8 hrs a week fishing some each day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:11 am • # 15 

JimRed wrote:
fastyacht wrote:

There's no technique or knowledge behind my presentation. Time on the water is the factor I think...I spend about 8 hrs a week fishing some each day.

OK so that is encouraging. Sort of.
yesterday I repeated the experiment...
see other thread (microfishng) for the result.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply