It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Micro Spey … ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:51 pm • # 1 

When you guys go on about your spey approach, and OPST, and your homemade shooting heads, I'm hanging on every word, and I thought I just about had the gist of it sorted out, and then … and then … and then Ye Olde English Fly Shop offered a Micro Spey rod blank for sale. I was utterly stumped about what exactly that might possibly be, so I started browsing around and found out Winston had been offering a Boron Micro Spey rod for some little while, and Bauer has a Micro Spey reel they market for "3–5 weight Spey, Skagit 350gr+". So

can someone walk me through what I would like to know about what exactly the differences are between a Spey rod, a Switch rod, and a Micro Spey rod … anyone … anyone … Bueller ?

I assure you I will be grateful

Post subject: Re: Micro Spey … ?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:49 pm • # 2 

Having not used Spey or Switch rods I would say go to YouTube there are videos showing the differences between Spey and Skagit. To my understanding the switch rod is just a smaller version of spey and Skagit. Micro on the other hand is using your current single hand fly rod to cast spey and Skagit style just using your everyday normal fly rod. Plenty of fun, I have in conjunction with Jimred, have been experimenting with our 2 weight CGR's and shooting heads with 15lb Amnesia shooting line and have had spectacular results.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:37 pm • # 3 

Something is off about the head weights relative to the stated rod weight. Too heavy. My notes on micro spey, taken from OPST YouTubes and such, are:

7'6" 3 wt.
150 gr. Commando Head
5' Commando Tip

7' CGR 4/5 wt.
175 gr. Commando Head
5' of running line as floating tip
short tippet for large streamers
longer tippet for #12 flies

9' 5 wt.
200 gr. Commando Head
5' Commando Tip

Echo SR 3 wt. (switch rod)
200 gr. Commando Head or 180 gr. Scandi
(I purchased the Echo from Red's Fly Shop and it came with the 200 gr.)

Full disclosure...my personal experience is very limited.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:23 pm • # 4 

Knotty I figured that the difference between a three weight 100gr and Commando 150gr plus tip is 60gr then a 2 weight must be around the 130gr including the tip. Maybe that is over thinking but it works on my TFO PRO.8' the CGR I had to lower it to around the 100gr mark.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 pm • # 5 

Honestly, I think one of the biggest detriments to the advancement of micro spey is that what to use isn't simple or obvious. Getting to the right head weight isn't that hard but it has to be paired with a properly sized tip and even then a lot depends on what size/weight fly you're flinging.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it but Ed Ward seems to comment on these types of things in his videos and it often sounds like he's still experimenting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:59 am • # 6 

It appears to me that the length of rod used is also a factor but all said and done it is fun. The sustained water anchor (Skagit /Scandi/Spey) principle is ideal for no room for back cast situations. I love the simple idea of pick up and shoot. This is not to say that there is no longer a place for conventional fly fishing with full length lines. Enjoy tight lines either way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:12 pm • # 7 

I don't quite understand the purpose. They probably cast farther but isn't one of the main reasons for ul basically a quieter and softer presentation?

If I use a micro shooting head (basically a cut off to the right weight 5 wt line) won't it splash just as much as a regular 5 wt?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:26 pm • # 8 

There are circumstances where the shooting head may be a problem however with a long tip added the heavy line becomes less of a problem. Watch a few if the Micro one handed Skagit videos and you will get the picture.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:33 am • # 9 

Dominikk85 wrote:
I don't quite understand the purpose. They probably cast farther but isn't one of the main reasons for ul basically a quieter and softer presentation?

If I use a micro shooting head (basically a cut off to the right weight 5 wt line) won't it splash just as much as a regular 5 wt?

I’d say the purpose is to make possible casts that aren’t possible, or at least very difficult, with traditional fly casting with its need for back cast room. If your sole goal is a delicate presentation, then shooting heads may not be for you. Delicate presentations are one of my lowest priorities, since I mostly fish warm water species. Like Cliff often says, you want some splash to get the fish’s attention.

Another benefit is the ability to deliver a large fly with an UL rod. While we all have stories about catching some big fish on a tiny fly, that’s not the norm. Bass and trophy trout usually want something substantial. Micro shooting heads allow you to attract bigger fish and still have fun fighting them, and smaller fish, on a light rod.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:06 pm • # 10 

Very well replied Knotty.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:11 pm • # 11 

Thanks. So it is more for nymphs and streamers and not so much for dry flies?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:20 pm • # 12 

There are OPST video demonstrating dry fly fishing. The same would apply to poppers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 pm • # 13 

Drys are possible but IMHO far from ideal with micro Spey. Now poppers...why not!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:14 pm • # 14 

Knotty wrote:
Drys are possible but IMHO far from ideal with micro Spey. Now poppers...why not!

I agree. Being a skagit caster 95% of the time, I really wanted to make dries work, but a conventional WF or DT is leagues easier/better to cast. The sustained anchor casting and twisting of the line doesn't help with keep the dry fly dry either. If I really wanted to do it, I'd probably recommend a foam ant or beetle of sorts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:39 pm • # 15 

Knotty wrote:
Something is off about the head weights relative to the stated rod weight …

That was a big part of my confusion, I've been chomping at the bit waiting for Rio's single hand spey line prices to come down to my paltry pocketbook, out of curiosity checked their head weights. Largest they offer is an 8wt @ 300 grains, so what's 'micro' about a 350 grain head wight ?

and FWIW, my location dictates warm water fishing ninety–nine and forty four one hundredths percent of the time ( anybody else here old enough to remember where that came from ), so hair and foam bugs are pretty much the norm around here on the long rod

Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the contributions

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply