It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm • # 1 

All - I will be staying in Gatlinburg and hiking / exploring the Smokies next week. Wondering if anyone had any general or specific advice or suggestions for fishing inside the park. The general plan is to hike into some spots and explore some blue lines, let me know!

Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:54 pm • # 2 

Contact Little River Outfitters in Townsend TN which is by the southwest entrance to the park. Here is the link http://www.littleriveroutfitters.com . If you want to catch fish the West Prong of the Little River and Roaring Fork creek are good for small rainbows. Roaring Fork is just inside the park and just outside Gatlinburg. The East Prong of the Little River will have spawning brown trout. This is the time of the year to catch the big browns. Many of the headwater streams will have native southern brook trout. Also the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River flows through Gatlinburg. It is stocked with rainbows once per week but, I’m not sure if they are still stocking in October.
Be forewarned that the park will be crowded this time of year with everyone being down for the fall colors.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:40 pm • # 3 

Well, you were right about both the crowds and the chance at a big brown trout. I caught a nice, stout fish a ways below the sinks on the Little River - wasn't expecting to run into a fish that big. Wish I had a picture but I rarely bring my camera with me anymore - I already have more trout pictures than I can keep track off. Was surprised to see how many people were out fishing it during the week - easy to get away from the crowds with a short hike though. Beautiful country, thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:05 pm • # 4 

Only fishing I've done thereabouts was in Bunches Creek a long time ago, down in N.C. by Cherokee. I used an UL spinning outfit with panther martins and waded. The water was freakin cold, but it got better once my legs went numb. ;-)

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply